• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 Hurricanes Post Season/Summer Thread

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Bean kinda wilted in the playoffs, but I still think he has considerable upside.
My issue is more that he wilted well before the playoffs ... and never really bounced back. I expect rookies to flash hot, and then cool off and struggle. But you're hoping that struggle leads to coming out the other side playing well ... eventually. Never happened.

CanadaCanes

Bean kinda wilted in the playoffs, but I still think he has considerable upside.
I think Francis does too, and I just personally do not see any scenario where Francis passes on Bean for Nino or Geekie or anyone else when it comes to the Canes. Seattle likely will have enough defensemen in the stable to even let Bean gradually works his way into the lineup and not thrown into too many minutes right away or situations where he stumbles hard out of the gate.

brassbonanza

Canes Moderator
I think Francis does too, and I just personally do not see any scenario where Francis passes on Bean for Nino or Geekie or anyone else when it comes to the Canes. Seattle likely will have enough defensemen in the stable to even let Bean gradually works his way into the lineup and not thrown into too many minutes right away or situations where he stumbles hard out of the gate.
I dont see it happening, but there is a part of me that worries he will take Lorentz.

cmaleski2

If you are thinking the Kraken are going to take Bean, here is one other thing that Ronnie Franchise needs to keep an eye on.

The Athletic ran another mock expansion draft less than a day ago and cam up with this list of Dmen being drafted by Seattle:

Haydn Fleury (Anaheim)
Jakub Zboril (Boston)
William Borgen (Buffalo)
Mark Giordano (Calgary)
Jake Bean (Carolina)
Nikita Zadorov (Chicago)
Dean Kukan (Columbus)
Troy Stecher (Detroit)
Cale Fleury (Montreal)
Vince Dunn (St. Louis)
Dylan DeMelo (Winnipeg)

That is 11 Dmen. Now of course we have no idea if that is how things will play out. But if it does play out that way, NONE of those Dmen are waivers exempt. Even if the Kraken are thinking that come opening night they are going to have a 23 man roster of 13 forwards, 8 Dmen and 2 goalies, some of those guys listed above are going to need to be moved in some way (or passed through waivers to get to the minors).

You would expect that Seattle would want to make sure they can keep Jake Bean on the roster at a minimum and avoid exposing him to waivers just in hopes he develops into a top 4 Dman. How much playing time Jake Bean actually gets next year at the NHL level, if Seattle picks and retains him, remains to be seen.

If that list above came to pass, Zboril and Borgen and Cale Fluery all easily slot behind Jake Bean on the depth chart. But then it gets interesting. Go ahead and make Haydn Fleury the # 8 Dman.

Of the 7 guys left, all of these guys are left handed shots:

Giordano, Bean, Zadorov, Kukan, Dunn

So let's try to build a lineup:

Giordano-DeMelo
Dunn-Stetcher
Zadorov-Bean? Kukan the extra?

PP? Giordano and Dunn and Bean and Stecher are your likely options. Bean could potentially be the #2 PP point man with Giordano on the #1 unit although that leaves Dunn out.

Unless Seattle makes room for him, Bean is going to possibly start the season barely in the starting lineup. If they really want him to develop, that is less than ideal. They are going to need to move some guys to make room for him. Not to say that Bean isn't the right pick for Seattle, just noting that unless Seattle makes a point to force him into the lineup, Bean could be behind a lot of more seasoned NHL Dmen.

Last edited:

bagopux

On Jake Bean, let's suppose Francis doesn't take him. What does that say? Neither the team that has him, or the guy that drafted him are all that high on him, and those are some pretty knowledgeable people. More knowledgeable than I am for sure. He still might develop, but that's a lot of no-confidence at that point. It's a bit of a lose-lose. If they take him, maybe he really is worth something, but that's something we no longer have. And if they don't take him, maybe he's not all that. The important decision was whether to protect him, and that ship has sailed. If he doesn't get taken, does that really solve any near-term issues at the NHL level for the Canes? Considering how he looked last season, the answer is a big fat "doubtful."

cmaleski2

That is a good point too. On the Canes though, Jake Bean would immediately be expected to be a 3rd pair guy and possible PP#1 if Dougie walks. Is he capable of either right now? That remains to be seen.

My point is that Bean is at that tweener point where he's too good to expose to waivers (he will get claimed) but might not be good enough yet to play in anyone's top 6. Seattle is the probably the best place for him at this point, but they are going to need to make a decision to force the issue on him to give him a chance to play. I expect they will, but that will make what happens with the other Dmen Seattle takes in the expansion draft more interesting.

NoMich

This Or That time*: if the Hurricanes and Dougie are far apart on dollars per year, why not give him more years at the lower dollar amount? If the Hurricanes are offering only $7 mill per season, how long of a term would it need to be for Dougie to accept it? If the Hurricanes go up to $8 mill per season, how short of a term will the Dougie camp accept? What would work better for the team's cap hit ever year? A lower number for longer or a higher number for shorter?

*I'm bored right now; humour** me.

**Spelling for our Canadian friends.

JFG

All those negative waves, man. Who's to say Bean won't turn into Scott Niedermayer? Might want to cut the kid some slack and give a few more seasons for some seasoning. Maybe pair him with Pesce instead of a slug. Just a thought. I hope he doesn't get picked.

HurryCanes

That is a good point too. On the Canes though, Jake Bean would immediately be expected to be a 3rd pair guy and possible PP#1 if Dougie walks. Is he capable of either right now? That remains to be seen.

My point is that Bean is at that tweener point where he's too good to expose to waivers (he will get claimed) but might not be good enough yet to play in anyone's top 6. Seattle is the probably the best place for him at this point, but they are going to need to make a decision to force the issue on him to give him a chance to play. I expect they will, but that will make what happens with the other Dmen Seattle takes in the expansion draft more interesting.
I can go either way on Bean as the 6th defenseman but I'm far from believing the dude can be running the 1st PP unit anytime soon. Yes he can handle the puck a bit and is quick but is, like many of our defense, great at firing the puck in the shin guards of the PP killer. #paydougie

Tryamw

I can go either way on Bean as the 6th defenseman but I'm far from believing the dude can be running the 1st PP unit anytime soon. Yes he can handle the puck a bit and is quick but is, like many of our defense, great at firing the puck in the shin guards of the PP killer. #paydougie
Wait Firing pucks into defenders shins is Not a winning move? Guess our D need to work on that.. cause they are experts in that move.

LJG

All those negative waves, man. Who's to say Bean won't turn into Scott Niedermayer? Might want to cut the kid some slack and give a few more seasons for some seasoning. Maybe pair him with Pesce instead of a slug. Just a thought. I hope he doesn't get picked.
Aren't you supposed to include 'Moriarity' with 'negative waves' at all times?

Last edited:

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Yikes, no one wants to turn into Ryan Murphy...that's a pretty low bar!
Speaking of Murphy, Michael Smith posted the protected list from the Vegas expansion draft. Murphy, Faulk and Carrick were the dmen. PDG, McGinn, Lindholm, Rask, Staal, Skinner and Teravainen were the forwards, Darling the goalie. Aho, Pesce and Slavin were exempt. What a difference 4 years and a new owner make.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
BTW ... if you want to laugh yourself silly, The Athletic had Sean McIndoe and Ian Mendes re-draft the 1992 ex draft using the current rules a few days ago. That year's draft featured two expansion teams, but holy crap there was nothing for them to pick even had there just been the one.

cmaleski2

This Or That time*: if the Hurricanes and Dougie are far apart on dollars per year, why not give him more years at the lower dollar amount? If the Hurricanes are offering only $7 mill per season, how long of a term would it need to be for Dougie to accept it? If the Hurricanes go up to $8 mill per season, how short of a term will the Dougie camp accept? What would work better for the team's cap hit ever year? A lower number for longer or a higher number for shorter?

*I'm bored right now; humour** me.

**Spelling for our Canadian friends.
I think the big problem is that some yahoo team is going to tell Dougie's agent that they will go max years for $8.5 million per or more (be that as a 7 year UFA deal or a trade rights and sign 8 year deal).

The Canes will want lower AND shorter. I'm guessing the Canes would love to just go 5 years max at $6.75 million AAV but that term and dollar amount doesn't work.

Total guesses on what Dougie's agent would ask for that Dougie MIGHT sign for with the Canes?

6 years minimum $9 million per (something like $6, $8, $11, $12, $11, $8)

8 years $8.25 million per (something like $6, $8, $10, $11, $10, $9, $7, $5)

Oh, and of course mostly as signing bonuses too.

I don't think there is much chance that Dougie would sign for less than 6 years (even though I said a while ago that I wonder if he could be talked into 2 years $16 million so he could get another bit at the apple when teams have more cap room in a few years).

MAYBE with any luck the Canes get it done with 6 years $7.75 million...but it sure doesn't feel that is feasible at this point. I don't at all know what makes Dougie tick here and what he really wants from this opportunity and the rest of his career (its usually money, then money, and then money at this stage no matter how much we like to hope 'comfort level' and 'happiness with the franchise and area' are bigger factors). He's a single guy with no wife or kids, so there are no 'roots' involved (even that doesn't matter as much as we would like to think when a player has kids). We also don't really know what the Canes REALLY think Dougie's value is, but its almost certainly under what some other teams might be willing to pay to get him to come there.

Do the Canes bend their internal approaches to valuing players because of Dougie's elite skill and pay more than the value that they have placed on him internally, or do they stick to the standard philosophy that Dundon expounds about telling guys if they can get more elsewhere, no hard feeling, go for it? We may have a final answer in less than 48 hours.

Last edited:

NoMich

MAYBE with any luck the Canes get it done with 6 years $7.75 million

I have a feeling that if Dougie does give a hometown discount, this is what that contract looks like.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
At this point, I've talked myself into accepting that Dougie will most likely be leaving and I'm only holing out hope that whoever signs him pays him a patently ridiculous amount of money. That's a thing I'd love to wrong about, and my track record on such things IS deplorable, but ... yeah.