• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 Hurricanes Post Season/Summer Thread

cmon3

I think Dougie will sign somewhere else.

I think Bean will be gone to the Crapen.

I think Whoever gets Dougie will regret it within 2 years.

I think there’s something to protecting Foegle.

I think there will be additions on D and we will be better defensively and not as good on the PP. but also better on the kill.

I think there will be significant changes to the bottom 6 forwards

I think we add a top 6 forward with some size and snarl.

I think we win 2 cups in the next 4 years.

TheBigKahuna

Our bottom 6 can stand a complete overhaul. There's no one there I'd cry about losing. I wouldn't have protected any of them in the expansion draft either.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
On Foegele ... I'd rate his chances of starting camp on the Canes active roster as roughly 0.00%. This thing about complaining about usage? Yeah, no. This really ain't that kind of show, dude.

cmon3

On Foegele ... I'd rate his chances of starting camp on the Canes active roster as roughly 0.00%. This thing about complaining about usage? Yeah, no. This really ain't that kind of show, dude.
Which is then puzzling that they protected him.

CanadaCanes

Foegele trade offer scenarios must be already simmering on the back burner and just waiting to finish cooking. I just hope a Foegele trade involves a useful NHL player coming back and not another third round draft pick.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
LeBrun said that the Kraken talked to Hamilton’s team but couldn’t agree on a contract.

cmaleski2

Ok...so if that is the case (Geekie and not Bean), is that a side deal causing that to happen OR what I kind of broke down earlier about Bean and the fact that he would be difficult to hold on a roster and develop because he is too good to clear waivers but not really good enough to play regularly yet? Seattle is going to have pile of NHL Dmen that are more playable than Jake Bean in the short term.

We will find out later....

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
That would be interesting for sure and a bit of a break for the Canes. Geekie might be bypassed by Drury in the system soon anyhow.
Yeah, it probably opens up a spot for Drury and maybe Cotton to compete for.

If we take it as fact that Foegele gets traded, we probably only have 3 pieces of the bottom 6 in place with Staal, Fast and 4C, whoever that turns out to be, whether Lorentz, Drury, Cotton or the return for Foegele. Maybe McGinn re-signs for no more than he just made and that would make RBA happy. But camp could be wide open for those other spots.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Ok...so if that is the case (Geekie and not Bean), is that a side deal causing that to happen OR what I kind of broke down earlier about Bean and the fact that he would be difficult to hold on a roster and develop because he is too good to clear waivers but not really good enough to play regularly yet?

We will find out later....
Based on the other D Seattle are supposedly selecting, I'm not sure Bean fit their profile. I've said all along that 90% of the speculation up to this point was writers expressing their own opinions and not much else. This backs it up. It was almost always going to be Bean, if you listened to the hockey press, and only recently did the presence of Nino on the unprotected list start to chip at their confidence ... when there was never any way Francis was taking Nino with that contract. Francis' big advantage with Carolina was how well he knew the prospect pool. No way he fell for that bait.

Geekie? Whatever. He's the kind of guy you lose in expansion drafts. Young, unproven, with upside. This also might shed some light on why they protected Foegele (aside from a pending deal ... which might be to Seattle for all we know), since I'd bet that the same GM who would take Geekie in the ex draft would have taken Foegele first if he had had the chance ... for the same reason. Upside.

CanadaCanes

I think Lorentz is a huge Brindy guy moving forward as a fourth line center. McGinn a wish list item return if the money is right. Drury and perhaps Jarvis as maybe two guys that battle it out for one roster spot? I still think you have to turn Foegele into a useful, established NHL player coming back in a trade.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Yeah, it probably opens up a spot for Drury and maybe Cotton to compete for.

If we take it as fact that Foegele gets traded, we probably only have 3 pieces of the bottom 6 in place with Staal, Fast and 4C, whoever that turns out to be, whether Lorentz, Drury, Cotton or the return for Foegele. Maybe McGinn re-signs for no more than he just made and that would make RBA happy. But camp could be wide open for those other spots.
I doubt that Carolina ends up heading into next season with the kiddie corps manning the 4th line again. That was pretty hit and miss for them and didn't work at ALL against Tampa in the playoffs. Thus, I'd expect to see either Drury or Cotton (Drury most likely) join Lorentz in the mix, and that will be about it from the younger set. I'm sure McGinn will get an offer, but he might get 4 or 5 of them. If he's not back, then I expect some dumpster diving for value vets. Paquette didn't work out, but he's hardly the only guy in that mold floating around.