• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 Hurricanes Post Season/Summer Thread

cmon3

I can see RF being interested because of his defenseman horsing AND because of a potential desire to stick it to the Canes/Dundon.

That said it seems like quite a stretch. Not sure Dougie would want to go there and that seems like the wrong approach to building a team.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Hamilton is repped by JP Barry, Aho is repped by Gerry Johannson.

Friedman is also basing his speculation on Hamilton to Francis’ well known love of dmen. He called Francis a “compulsive hoarder of defensemen”. But a move like that runs counter to the timidity he displayed here. He does have to hit the cap floor though.
I mean ... I didn't want to accuse Friedman of just doing basic, dumb hockey writer things but, yeah.

cmaleski2

Hopefully they paid the man. I understand Brindy made quite a lot of money in his playing days, but I hate the idea that people have to take less than market to stay employed with the Canes.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Hopefully they paid the man. I understand Brindy made quite a lot of money in his playing days, but I hate the idea that people have to take less than market to stay employed with the Canes.
Meh ... I figure every dollar that doesn't go to the staff can be spent on the players so I really don't care what the dollar figure is.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Meh ... I figure every dollar that doesn't go to the staff can be spent on the players so I really don't care what the dollar figure is.
As long as he’s happy with the number, it shouldn’t matter to us. But, Dundon walked into a situation with in-house candidates for GM and coach. If he ever needs to replace them, he’s going to have to either deal with the vagaries of the marketplace or find someone willing to take a below market paycheck.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
RBA signs a 3 year extension. No word on the rest of the staff.
Considering the staff deals were part of the hold up, I'd assume we'll get announcements on them (aside from Chynoweth) fairly soon. Frankly, I woudn't be shocked to see Chynoweth back on the bench eventually, either. His resume isn't so outstanding that he'll command big money or an associate head coach offer or anything. He likes working for Rod and Rod has job security ... and that's a huge factor.

And if not, then ... honestly, whatever. Find another guy and move on.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Considering the staff deals were part of the hold up, I'd assume we'll get announcements on them (aside from Chynoweth) fairly soon. Frankly, I woudn't be shocked to see Chynoweth back on the bench eventually, either. His resume isn't so outstanding that he'll command big money or an associate head coach offer or anything. He likes working for Rod and Rod has job security ... and that's a huge factor.

And if not, then ... honestly, whatever. Find another guy and move on.
We were concerned when Steve Smith left and RBA found Chynoweth out of nowhere. The PK was good under Peters/Smith, Chynoweth continued it. Over the last 7 years, the Canes cumulatively have the 2nd best PK in the league at 83.1%, just behind Boston. Excluding Vegas, thr Canes have allowed the fewest PP goals over that period. So if he has to be replaced, it’s not that big a deal.

ThinIce

Roddy's signing is fantastic news! I always thought it was gonna happen, but it's still nice to see this quickly resolved.

CanadaCanes

That looks to me like a direct statement to all other coaches and their agents who might have had something to say about the salary Roddy agreed to. I'm happy that he is happy.

"This is home" is a wrinkle that is mostly unique to Brindy and the Canes. He has lived here for just about 20 years now.
Yeah that is definitely the middle finger at all the media too who started to question whether Dundon really wanted to pay Brindy to stay here on a new contract.

Dundon made a point all along here from his first day as owner of saying that if anyone feels like they can go and make more money elsewhere and be happy somewhere else than all the power to them...and that applies to players, coaches, management, broadcast crew, etc.

Chynoweth may very well be back after he test the waters just like Dougie might be too...but you cannot fault Dundon for at least being honest and telling everyone to go out and find the best offer if you can get it or do not like the fit here.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
equipment guys get contracts? Nice but that is surprising if true. If so I assume they are 1 year .
Probably not contracts per se because Dundon hates the concept of contracts and only reluctantly signed Waddell to one because the league has a rule. I would imagine the senior operations guys have one, I’m pretty sure I saw that Tulsky signed a contract. But guys like Gorman, Alves and Paul? Probably not.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
We were concerned when Steve Smith left and RBA found Chynoweth out of nowhere. The PK was good under Peters/Smith, Chynoweth continued it. Over the last 7 years, the Canes cumulatively have the 2nd best PK in the league at 83.1%, just behind Boston. Excluding Vegas, thr Canes have allowed the fewest PP goals over that period. So if he has to be replaced, it’s not that big a deal.
I mean, that's not the full measure of the job. Chynoweth gets a lot of credit for managing a pretty deep and diverse defense group, but he also never did manage to find a functional third pairing in 2019-20, and I'm still not sure why Carolina is allergic to using their best offensive D pairings in offensive zone face off situations with the top line ... until crunch time when they need a goal.

Bottom line ... nobody's perfect and there are a lot of guys who can do a job. Which is the same thing I said when people were freaking out about Smitty leaving.