• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 Hurricanes Post Season/Summer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Put all your big picture thoughts and comments here, folks. I'm thinking we leave this up through the expansion draft, and I'll start a separate thread for the Draft eventually.

I'll kick things off with a summary of contracts past the 20-21 season, starting with the end of year expanded roster and moving on to the organizational depth. Currently, they have 14 NHL players under contract, with available cap space of $27.7 million and change.

UFAs
Brock McGinn
Jordan Martinook
Cedric Paquette
Max McCormick
Drew Shore

Dougie Hamilton
Jani Hakanpaa
Joakim Ryan
Roland McKeown

Petr Mrazek
James Reimer
Antoine Bibeau

Sheldon Rempal
David Gust
Dave Worsofsky

RFAs
Andrei Svechnikov
Warren Foegele
Morgan Geekie

Jake Bean
Max Lajoie
Alex Nedeljkovic

Spence Smallman
Jeremy Helvig

Thinking about where the Canes are going from here, the starting point is Svech and Hamilton. From there, big decisions need to be made about goaltending, the NHL defense group and the depth forward lines. And you'd love to see enough room left over to think about adding a scoring winger.

I suspect we've seen the last of Paquette, who never really found a game here or in Montreal. I also suspect that budget concerns will make the Canes choose between Martinook and McGinn. Barring something truly unusual, I think it's a lock that the team will make qualifying offers to all of the RFAs. Ned and Foegele are the only two significant RFAs with arbitration rights. I suspect that Mrazek is done here, having failed to maintain his peak performance in a reliable manner. Reimer is probably also done ... certainly he is unless he's taking a haircut on his contract and role.

Svech? a bridge deal..
McKeown gone
Hamilton ???????
Mrazek Probably gone
Reimer Most likely gone
Rempal Gust and Worsofsky? Who??? :)
McGinn is the one I want to keep but I expect him to get more monies elsewhere.
Martinook Probably gone. More $$$$
Hakanpaa ? ???
Bibeau No clue :)

I'm going to be closely watching all of our prospects as we start to look at next year. Who is the 'next' prospect that will be a difference maker? This is a critical part of this franchise's success going forward. We need our development process to yield more than just 4th liners to be successful. Who is the next prospect to deliver top 9 results at forward?

We have Svech, we have Necas. Since then, in the top 2 rounds, we have drafted Suzuki and Rees and Kocketkov (who we know will be in the KHL next season) in 2019 , and Jarvis and Gunler in 2020. Suzuki and Rees likely both need another season in the AHL. Gunler will certainly remain in Europe as he should. But what about Jarvis? He tore up the AHL in 9 games there this season. Is he possibly an option in the Canes lineup next season?

What is going to happen with Jack Drury? He sure seems like someone who could be a capable 3rd line player, is he ever going to sign?

Is Eetu Makiniemi capable of being a legit goaltending option down the road? He will get his first full North American look in Chicago next season.

What do we really have in the AHL next season with Tuukka Tieksola and Blake Murray?

Will ANY of our international home run swings from the past 2 drafts show signs of a payoff (ie Gunler, Nybeck, Pashin, Puistola, Honka)?

Will we ever see Jesper Sellgren play for the Canes (do we want to see that?)

Suzuki and Rees are a solid AHL year away from the NHL I think. Personally, I think Jarvis could play on a third line right now, and gave zero signs of struggling with physicality in the A this season. He's a wildcard for me, and possibly an option if the Canes run out of money to make a move for a veteran scorer. Drury? There's probably not a third line role available (certainly not at center) so he could get tricky. Will he sign if all you can promise him is competing for 4th line minutes? Not sure.

Of the UFAs, I really want Brock McGinn back, Martinook too I suppose. Dougie would be nice to have, but he's going to get overpaid by someone and I don't want that someone to be the Hurricanes. If he'll take a discount just to stay with the team, then sure, keep him. Hakanpää? Sure, at his current salary. And Paquette if he's not expensive. He seems like a good 4th liner if he could ever start to gel with this team.

I also expect Svech to end up with a bridge deal, something like 3 years $15 million ($3, $5, $7?)

I also think Reimer and Mrazek will not be retained

Hakenpaa I could see being retained for 2 years $2.5 million ($1.25 AAV)

McGinn is going to get 3 years $9 million from someone else (so he will be gone)

Martinook will be resigned (2 years $4 million)

Canes will lose Foegele or Skjei in the expansion draft. They will elect to protect Nino and expose Fast and Foegele

Dougie? If you believe the pundits we are not even close to an agreement. So that means he is gone, right? That is typically how it works no matter how much we like to believe that 'the player loves it here, he is willing to take less to stay'. No one seems to be able to understand what exactly makes Dougie tick. So I have no clue what his motivation is, and neither do the pundits. Now his AGENT, we know what his motivation is if he is doing his job...its to get the most dollars for his client. So at this stage where the only option was re-sign with the Canes, there is little reason for Dougie's side to not be asking for top dollar.

The reality is we have absolutely no clue what Dougie's looking for. Is he willing to take less to stay here? Is he really going to take top dollar if that means going to Toronto or Montreal or Philadelphia? A big media market where they will chew him up? WHat exactly is anyone really going to be able to offer in a flat cap world?

What I do know is the Canes are not going to overpay Dougie. They are not going to be top bid if he really goes to market. I wouldn't go more than 5 years. I wouldn't go above $7 million. We suspect that some teams will above both of those.

My prediction? Dougie turns down 7 and $55 from 'someone' and re-signs with the Canes for 2 and $16 with an expectation that allows him to go after a much bigger UFA payout down the road once revenues are back up and the salary cap is rising again (which would put more teams in play to actually sign him for 7 and $60+ million later on)

Just remember you heard that here first (or if Dougie gets 7 and $56 somewhere else, forget your heard 2 years $16 million from the Canes from me) :)

Especially if someone is offering $55 at the same time as the $16.

Him going for the second option would be a large gamble in hoping that it leads to something much more than $55 in two years.

Let me put it this way...I would expect the Canes are going to offer 2x$8 and try to sell the heck out of how that gives Dougie another bite at the apple when the economics of the game are much better and high spending teams have lots of cap room again. If Dougie wants 5+ years from the Canes, its going to be like 5x $7 or less.

Will that work? I don't know. Under normal circumstances definitely not. But with the cap flat, there is little room to go paying anyone $8 million+ per for many big spending teams. Plus its Dougie, who seems to not quite tick the same way many other players do.

Last edited:
My feeling here (and it's just a feeling) that a tentative deal with Dougie is in place, but by holding off on signing him till after the expansion draft gives the Canes more options towards protecting players. I think he likes it here and has little interest in playing somewhere when his every breath is scrutinized. Just a feeling.

Waddell has a busy summer ahead, but the core pieces of the team are still in place and he needs to do his best work tinkering here and there at just about every position. Since Donnie is out to lunch at the moment today, he asked me to fill in:

Goalies: Ned gets a nice little raise and a 2-3 year deal to stay firmly in Carolina. Mrazek and Reimer both go test the market and are told to check back in later in the summer if the Canes have not filled the second keeper position with a newer option such as Merzlikens or Andersen.

Defense: Dougie hits the UFA market and gets a high dollar contract that the Canes wont touch or offer. Hakanpaa is brought back on a modest one to two year deal for around a million per to fill the sixth/seventh spot on defense. Gardiner is offered up in a cap matching trade with another equally paid guy coming back here just to get him out of town and chalk it up to a bad fit. Skjei is too costly for Seattle to bite on and Bean is protected and they both return to the Canes next year. Canes add another piece on defense via a trade or free agency to replace the loss of Hamilton and his minutes.

Forwards: Svech gets a bridge deal, likely two or three years with a monster deal awaiting next time around. One of Foegele or Fast is selected by Seattle in the expansion draft. McGinn tests the free agent waters for more money, Paquette is shown the door. Canes cast a wide net for one or two veteran type guys in the Corey Perry mold to try and get nastier and chippier in the bottom six, especially with the loss of McGinn. Seth Jarvis shows in training camp that he has the skill and hockey sense to make the Canes out of camp and becomes the lone NHL ready of the prospects to step up to the big club. Aho/Trochek/Staal continues to be the Canes strong suit 1/2/3 up the middle.

Coaching: Rod gets his extension, his assistants get a raise and also extended.

Seems like we were pretty solid defensively when we had deHaan in the mix. Not sure but it seems like you’re more consistent on D with defensive guys. If you have offensive puck moving D they have to BE offensive or they are a liability. See Gardiner, Bean and Hamilton in the playoffs. Not getting shots through and on net from the point short circuited our offense. Then those guys you’re counting on for that are less capable in our zone.

Seems like we were pretty solid defensively when we had deHaan in the mix. Not sure but it seems like you’re more consistent on D with defensive guys. If you have offensive puck moving D they have to BE offensive or they are a liability. See Gardiner, Bean and Hamilton in the playoffs. Not getting shots through and on net from the point short circuited our offense. Then those guys you’re counting on for that are less capable in our zone.
I miss DeHaan...I wish he was not as injury prone and battered because he was a great fit here overall on the back end.

Dougie ... I think Dougie finally got a taste for what it's like to enjoy professional hockey, and will thus be a bit picky about offers. He's not going to Buffalo or back to Boston, for example ... for two completely different reasons. He knows he can sign a reasonable bridge deal here if he wants, I think the Canes leave that option open for a bit. Why? Because he's a right shot, first pairing D who can run your power play at a high level. Everybody loves to bitch about Dougie for whatever reason, but those things are unassailably true. Now. Go look for another one like that and tell me you find. Yeah ... you let this play out if you're the Canes. I don't think you over-pay either, but you don't just blithely walk away figuring you'll find another one. There aren't many to be had and this one is a proven fit.

So yeah ... long term on a team friendly rate or short term on a Dougie friendly rate. One or the other, but there's no way he signs before the expansion draft.

Jeepers, I have no interest in keeping Hakenpaa. The guy's a turnover machine.
Hard disagree. He's a right shot stay at home guy with a decent shot and fairly good instincts. He's slow, but you're not asking him to play top pairing minutes or assignments. If the price is right, I'd be highly surprised if Kakanpaa isn't back. Again, don't discount the right shot part. Those are harder to find every year ... especially ones with any level of competence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back