• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 Hurricanes Post Season/Summer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody who says they know what’s happening with Dougie is full of it. The club doesn’t know, he doesn’t know.

Hard disagree. He's a right shot stay at home guy with a decent shot and fairly good instincts. He's slow, but you're not asking him to play top pairing minutes or assignments. If the price is right, I'd be highly surprised if Kakanpaa isn't back. Again, don't discount the right shot part. Those are harder to find every year ... especially ones with any level of competence.
yeah, on second thought.....

No way would I walk away from Hamilton but at the same time I can't see our front office guys backing up the Brinks Truck either. They have a value in mind and it'll be about there that they'd sign him. if he want 5 years 10m per I think we talk to him until he signs but I don't see us matching and I think that would cause other problems..

Realistically, those two pairings (Slavin with Hamilton and Pesce with Skjei) are perfectly fine. If you're looking for something a whole lot better, you're not really finding it in the NHL. Look around a bit and tell me I'm wrong.
The problem I have with these combos is that they don't yield an effective shut down pairing. I think everyone knows the Slavin-Pesce pair is a bonifide NHL shutdown D combo. But we rarely see them paired together. Why? Because of Hamilton's reckless walkabouts. So if Hamilton stays here we need to find another LD to pair with him. And, as others always say LD's much easier to come by than RD's.

This also solves the 3rd paring problem as we can pair Skjei with Hakannpaa. Bean can spend next season in Chicago honing his craft.

But who to quarterback the 2nd PP unit, you say? Jacob Slavin is perfectly capable to take on this role.

Ok, now move along and fix our scoring issues. Thanks.

The problem with Slavin as a PP QB is his shot is nothing special at the NHL level. Bean also seems really hesitant to use his. and it gets blocked when he tries..

The problem with Slavin as a PP QB is his shot is nothing special at the NHL level. Bean also seems really hesitant to use his. and it gets blocked when he tries..
He may not have the hardest shot, but he's smart enough to know when to shoot to get it through for tips. Agree on Bean.

Exit interviews today, so check in with your favorite social media follows for updates.

Trocheck played through game 5 with a sprained MCL. No surgery, just rest.

Pesce is fine after the hit from Palat. His shoulder was better than he expected after last season’s surgery. And he really missed being able to go out to dinner on the road. He doesn’t like eating out of styrofoam.

Slavin is my ride or die, but he sucks on the power play. Pesce is OK (barely) on the half wall, but sucks at the point. And "shutdown pairings" are very 2000's.

Svech is letting his agent deal with the contract but he “would love to stay here forever, I love the team and love the fans”. He’s sticking around for a few weeks.

McGinn doesn’t want to think about his contract since they just finished playing. ‘I like it here, I want to be back here.”

2 years $3 million Brock and you will likely be able to stay. 3 years $9 million and you are not. Its really in your hands.

Just a year or so ago, we all assumed our boy Svech would be getting Aho money this summer. My how things have changed.

Just a year or so ago, we all assumed our boy Svech would be getting Aho money this summer. My how things have changed.
I'll guess Svech is still going to get more than you'll be comfortable with, since you seem to have bailed on the kid.

If he's smart, he'll bet on himself with a bridge deal so he can go back to the well in a year or two. I'm pretty close to 100% certain he's got more to give than he showed this season.

2 years $3 million Brock and you will likely be able to stay. 3 years $9 million and you are not. Its really in your hands.
At 27 and having already shown his career peak levels, McGinn really shouldn't be pushing it too hard. I'd think he'd jump on 2 years at $3 million.

I'll guess Svech is still going to get more than you'll be comfortable with, since you seem to have bailed on the kid.

If he's smart, he'll bet on himself with a bridge deal so he can go back to the well in a year or two. I'm pretty close to 100% certain he's got more to give than he showed this season.
I think CMal had it right on a sliding scale bridge deal at 3 years...team friendly in year 1, about going-rate average in year 2 and player friendly in year 3...that would seem fair to both sides and allow Svech to settle into a sky is the limit next contract if he becomes the franchise type player that his potential has shown. I'm sure the Canes and most of us would be quite comfortable with a 3 year bridge deal but maybe the player and agent would be more comfortable with a two year bridge.

A 2 year bridge for Svech would look like $3.5 million and $6 million I would expect. Canes definitely should push for 3 years.

$3 million total or $3 million AAV? If the former, that’s a 28.5% pay cut, if the latter, it’s a 43% raise. Assuming the latter, that‘s a pretty steep increase for someone who arrested a 3 year production decrease, albeit in only 37 games. He played to a 29 point full season, which would be his 2nd best season, behind the 16g, 14a 2017-18 season.

$3 million total, and yes that is a pay cut. In a flat cap world, its the 3rd/4th line players are the ones who are going to get squeezed and the Canes are not going to be high bidder for McGinn. Maybe that is TOO steep of a paycut, and maybe 2 years $3.5-$4 million is more realistic, but Jesper Fast jumped at 3 years $6 million. McGinn MIGHT find some team willing to go 3 years for $6 million+, but if he really wants to stay here he's not going to get that deal here I don't expect.

Whether or not Brock McGinn stays here is going to depend on his salary ask and willingness to not go after top dollar. I don't begrudge him in any way if he jumps at a much bigger offer than I suspect the Canes will make him. From the Canes perspective, there are going to be a lot of guys like McGinn, a 4th line guy who can play up in a pinch, who are going to be scrambling for any salary that has 7 digits on the open market.

Last edited:
Yup, and in my option that's somewhere that the Canes can make improvements if they want. Nothing against the Canes grunt guys and everybody loves them, but their 4th line wasn't fantastic this year ... mostly because of injuries that forced 4th liners up the ladder. I've said it before ... pick the one out of the Martinook, McGinn, Paquette pile that you feel like you can't live without and swap out the rest for guys with the right kind of experience on cheaper deals. Sign or obtain the right kind of left wing and you can think about sliding Foegele down there to grunt land where he probably belongs. Find a center and a veteran spare to go with McGinn or maybe Martinook and you're on the right track. And please dear me, can we stop pretending that Martinook can play center? He can't.

Just in case anyone is wondering how some of the rest of the hockey world view the situation with Dougie ... here's a take from Ryan Lambert (Puck Soup pod and newsletter, Elite Prospects, former Puck Daddy writer). Excerpt with permission:

There are two notable UFAs who seem absolutely destined to hit the market this summer, and one of them (Ryan Nugent-Hopkins) seems fairly boring. Wow he's gonna get $6.5 million against the cap for five years to be a mediocre No.2 center somewhere. Cool.
But it's rare that a defenseman of Dougie Hamilton’s quality hits the market. This dude is giving me serious Zdeno Chara “franchise changing signing” vibes and I bet he gets $9 million somewhere. I kinda think it won't be Carolina, but mostly because there's gonna be a line around the block for him.
Price aside, there isn’t a single team that doesn’t benefit from adding a Dougie Hamilton right now. And while he has a bit of an injury history (in freak circumstances, rather than a chronic issue) that’s not the sort of thing teams should really shy away from. For me this is one of the few UFAs you ship someone out just to acquire.
This is me eating popcorn about where Hamilton signs. That team, whoever they are, is gonna get so much better.

Not everybody agree with this, obviously ... since Dougie is perhaps the most polarizing player in the NHL. That said, half the league DOES feel this way, and that's enough. Here's reality for the Canes. If they can't get Dougie signed or at least get him verbally agreeable pretty quickly, then they pretty much have to explore what they can get for his rights. I know how popular that kind of move would be locally, but you cannot completely whiff on any value you can get from the asset, unless you're danged certain he'll re-sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back