• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 Hurricanes Post Season/Summer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO the biggest issue with the 3rd pair last year was dealing with the personnel he had available, even before Hamilton and Pesce went down. And that wasn’t something he could necessarily fix. When 4-6 are 3 of Gardiner, Edmundson, TVR and Fleury playing his off side, there is only so much he could do. The danger was dragging Pesce down and Gardiner and Edmundson both rotated through there.

IMO the biggest issue with the 3rd pair last year was dealing with the personnel he had available, even before Hamilton and Pesce went down. And that wasn’t something he could necessarily fix. When 4-6 are 3 of Gardiner, Edmundson, TVR and Fleury playing his off side, there is only so much he could do. The danger was dragging Pesce down and Gardiner and Edmundson both rotated through there.
I mean ... I accept that nothing is ever perfect. I don't happen to think he did a very good job managing the pairings through those challenges. Bottom line, I think Chynoweth did a really good job managing good players and a much lesser job of managing guys who weren't so good or who were more erratic. Plenty of other NHL teams manage to figure stuff out with a lot less than he's had to work with.

David Warsofsky signs with Ingolstadt in Germany. He was coming off a 2 year/2 way contract that paid him $700k in the NHL and $400k in the AHL That he signed with Pittsburgh.

When I've heard him on the radio, he just sounds like a different version of the Pierre McSquid blowhard.
The only thing I can really base a judgement on is the stuff he writes about the team I follow closely. I don't listen to the guy on the radio, but I consider Friedman to be a fairly serious reporter (at least, serious by hockey's standards) who generally avoids the usual dot connecting and narrative confirming nonsense. That's why I was surprised to get into the substance of that piece and see him acting like a garden variety staff hockey reporter.

David Warsofsky signs with Ingolstadt in Germany. He was coming off a 2 year/2 way contract that paid him $700k in the NHL and $400k in the AHL That he signed with Pittsburgh.
I guess that answers the question of how much gas the organization thinks Wasofsky has left in his tank. Probably also confirms why they signed a couple of other veteran AHL-level defensemen.

Last edited:
I guess that answers the question of how much gas the organization thinks Wasofsky has left in his tank. Probably also confirms why they singed a couple of other veteran AHL-level defensemen.
They also weren’t going to pay a 31 year old dman $400k to toil in the AHL, even if he’s the coach’s brother.

So Greg Wyshynski at ESPN (former Puck Daddy himself ... RIP) has weighed on on "the Dougie Hamilton market" today, and I'm getting the same BS vibes from him that I got from Elliott Friedman earlier this week. Here's his "possibilities" list with my thoughts in brackets

Chicago <I actually think this is a likely suitor although it's a stretch to call it an easy sell. I think they'll make an offer.>
Columbus <umm ... a stretch at BEST, seeing how anybody you've ever heard of on that roster wants out or has already left>
Florida <pure fiction, as almost everyone in that market is reporting that the Panthers budget is on a tight leash>
Edmonton <maybe ... I guess. The draw would be putting up pinball numbers on the PP with McDavid and Draisaitl, but ... it's still Edmonton. Plus, that front office is filled with the kind of cavemen who think Dougie is a cancer.>
LA Kings <Doughty is going nowhere and they don't make enough pucks for the two of them. Can you see LA moving Doughty off of their top PP unit? Me neither. They should, of course ... but the Kings are convinced that he's still good. Can you see Dougie signing anywhere that's going to park him on PP2? Me neither.>
New Jersey <rebuilding, but aspiring. I feel like they'll make an offer.>
Philly <I've seen at least three national writers report that Philly isn't in the Dougie Market>
Seattle <the franchise of dreams, clearly>
Toronto <I see the desire, but not the details. It would take a LOT of heavy lifting to fit that new contract under the Cap.>
Winnipeg <OK, now you're just signaling that you're including anyone with the Cap space on this list>
Carolina <hey, at least Wiz didn't leave us off the list entirely>

Bottom line ... this list is horsecrap wishcasting from a writer who thinks it's fun to do this sort of thing. I like Greg, but sometimes he gets on my nerves. This is such a time.

Anyone else get the sense that Dundon could offer Tripp no pay at all, just expenses and he would take it just to stay the Color Analyst?

Its not a bad gig, in a normal season you get to travel all over to broadcast games and you get to hang around the team all the time.

Anyone else get the sense that Dundon could offer Tripp no pay at all, just expenses and he would take it just to stay the Color Analyst?

Yes (half serious). He doesn’t need the money. He loves Raleigh and the canes. Tripp, love him or hate him, is a good dude. He loves everything about Raleigh and the organization. He gets a little corny sometimes, but the org. could do a lot worse than Tripp Tracy.

Yes (half serious). He doesn’t need the money. He loves Raleigh and the canes. Tripp, love him or hate him, is a good dude. He loves everything about Raleigh and the organization. He gets a little corny sometimes, but the org. could do a lot worse than Tripp Tracy.
I used to loathe Tripp, but honestly ... I also used to take all of this more seriously back when the organization's footing in the community was a bit more of an open issue. Tripp is a part of the fabric of the franchise in Raleigh now. The fanbase loves him (for the most part), the players love him, and the staff tolerates him. You couldn't do much better, but you could do a LOT worse.

I saw somewhere that Tripp absorbed a 70% pay cut last season. If that’s along the lines of what they offered Forslund, along with the other changes, its no wonder he said no.

Next on the list replacing Manispellcheck. But that’s not happening. Lol
I was among the most vocal critics of Mike during the first half of the season, but I definitely saw significant improvement in his performance as the season progressed. Giving him at least another season (hopefully under normal, in-person conditions) to progress is something I would welcome.

He's still better then some of the announcers.. Seattle is going to be spoiled like we got to with John Forslund.

I was among the most vocal critics of Mike during the first half of the season, but I definitely saw significant improvement in his performance as the season progressed. Giving him at least another season (hopefully under normal, in-person conditions) to progress is something I would welcome.
I agree, Mike deserves at least one season in the booth calling games to really let him settle in or sink...the dude does get very excited and exuberant with his goal calls and that sure beats a stiff that just has no feel for the game. Jason Chayha for me was awful calling Canes games, Mike is far better than ending up with a guy like Chayha calling the action in my humble opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back