• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 Hurricanes Pre-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Can Ned be put on the taxi squad and then be sent to Chicago without having to be waived again? Their season theoretically starts on February 5 but I don’t think I’ve seen a camp opening date. At least if he’s on the taxi squad, he can participate in practices before he heads to Chicago.

cmaleski2

My understanding is moving non-waiver exempt players from the taxi squad to the minors would be the same as moving a player who had cleared waivers from the NHL to the minors. As long as they haven't reached 10 games played or 30 days on the active NHL roster (it might be 28 now, I've seen conflicting info), they can simply be moved from the taxi squad to the minors without waivers.

The tricky part of this is calling players up from the minors. They have to quarantine for 7 days before they can participate in NHL practices or play games, so no taxi squad or active roster for recall players from the minors for 7 days. So you better make sure your taxi squad is how you need it to be.

I understand your suggestion about Ned. I don't know if all of those players assigned to Chicago are practicing or not. But yes, we COULD put Ned on the taxi squad first and send him down to Chicago later without worrying about waivers again. But I think having 4 goalies at the NHL practices would be too unwieldy to have the Canes elect to do that.

CanadaCanes

I guess the one bit of good news for Ned is he stands to make his full NHL salary since it's a one way deal no matter where he plays or is assigned this season. The Canes goaltending situation for next season is truly a wildcard in every respect when you consider all the expiring contracts and the fact they really do not have anyone close in the system that is ready to be elevated to a shot at an NHL roster spot. Freddy Andersen, Tuuka Rask and Jordan Binnington are all playing on expiring contracts and could be UFA's next year.

cmaleski2

We also need to have at least ONE goalie who is signed for 21-22 to expose for the waiver draft. All 6 of our current goalies under contract are unsigned for 21-22, so something has to give before the waiver draft.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
I guess the one bit of good news for Ned is he stands to make his full NHL salary since it's a one way deal no matter where he plays or is assigned this season. The Canes goaltending situation for next season is truly a wildcard in every respect when you consider all the expiring contracts and the fact they really do not have anyone close in the system that is ready to be elevated to a shot at an NHL roster spot. Freddy Andersen, Tuuka Rask and Jordan Binnington are all playing on expiring contracts and could be UFA's next year.

Binnington has all of 83 NHL games, but kicked around in the minors for years before St. Louis brought him up for good.

The Caps signed Craig Anderson from his PTO, 1 year/$700k, and promptly put him on waivers. Right now, the Caps have Samsonov and Vanecek on the roster and Copley on the taxi squad. Assuming Anderson clears waivers, Copley probably heads to Hershey with the Caps eating $25k of his cap

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
I would expect the plan now is Forsberg is our #3 and Ned is heading down to Chicago so he can actually play some games.

We theoretically could waive Forsberg now that Ned cleared waivers and then put Ned on the Taxi squad. You have to have either a rostered 3rd goalie or at least 1 goalie on the taxi squad this season.

I don't think that Forsberg was just a hedge in case Ned failed to clear waivers, I think the Canes saw him as a better option than Ned for that #3 role. The fact that Ned cleared waivers is a bonus. We will see what the Canes do today now that Ned cleared, but the CHEAPEST thing to do is to waive Forsberg (and hope he ends up back with Edmonton) and taxi squad Ned. I think the BEST move from a hockey perspective is just send Ned to Chicago and keep Forsberg.

---Note, Forsberg was not placed on waivers today---.
Agree on all counts. If the Canes thought Ned was their taxi squad guy, that's where he'd be and they wouldn't have bothered with Forsberg. They clearly still hold out slim hopes that Ned will blossom into an NHL player one day, thus the Chicago assignment makes more sense that watching his rot on the taxi squad waiting for one of two fairly durable goalies to get hurt.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Agree on all counts. If the Canes thought Ned was their taxi squad guy, that's where he'd be and they wouldn't have bothered with Forsberg. They clearly still hold out slim hopes that Ned will blossom into an NHL player one day, thus the Chicago assignment makes more sense that watching his rot on the taxi squad waiting for one of two fairly durable goalies to get hurt.

So it appears the Canes may be trying to flip Forsberg. Chris Johnston from Sportsnet says that Forsberg is still in Edmonton. With Ned having passed through waivers, Waddell is “taking calls” on Forsberg.

cmaleski2

So if any of that is true then Forsberg was just a hedge and we are looking to take the cheaper option now that Ned cleared waivers.

Going back to CBA 13.20.b....I was wrong. You can trade a player you claimed on waivers if NO OTHER TEAM claimed the player when they were first waived. Otherwise all other teams that claimed the player must refuse the opportunity to claim the player again before you can trade him. So if we are really looking to trade Forsberg and Chris Johnson is correct, then we had then only claim for Forsberg and Edmonton is SOL unless someone waives Forsberg again and he goes unclaimed

Last edited:

cmaleski2

Apparently no takers via trade (which somewhat makes sense, he would have to take up a roster spot and his cap hit would count).

So either another team steps in and claims him (and adds him to their roster) or Edmonton happily takes Forsberg back and puts him on their taxi squad (and sends Stuart Skinner from their taxi squad to the minors).

Cost the Canes a little bit of cash to hedge potentially losing Ned via waivers but with Ned clearing, we created extra cap room which will be worth it potentially later on. Edmonton will come out of it just a bit scared for a couple of days. I'm sure Forsberg is relieved to be able to stay put there.

Last edited:

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
BTW ... with guys you aren't really sure about (re: taxi squads and the like), you're going see teams just physically park players they acquire on waivers and stuff. No sense trying to cross borders or even get on planes until a final destination is determined. Bottom line ... I caution against reading too much into a player staying where they are for a few days after being claimed.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Here is an interview with John Forslund on Barrett Sports Media. It’s sounds like there is still some lingering bitterness on how it ended here:

“Looking back a lot and looking ahead, that’s good. I still haven’t reconciled as to the why, but the why wasn’t my doing. It’s somebody else. They have to figure out why they did it. It is the way it is; we’ll just make the best of it moving forward and I’ll just keep my options open.”

cmaleski2

And the Forsberg question is solved, at least for today:
Ouch, sorry Edmonton.

Winnipeg's taxi squad goalie was Mikhail Berdin, who has zero games of NHL experience. He is waiver exempt so the Jets can now slide him down to the minors while keeping Forsberg on their active roster as a 3rd goalie OR they can keep Berdin on the taxi squad to avoid the 7 day quarantine that would be required to recall him from the minors if that is needed. I suspect they would rather have not have Berdin as their #4 rotting on the taxi squad if he can go play games somewhere else.

Winnipeg will have to make an NHL roster move to fit in Forsberg, they already had 23 players on the roster (14 forwards 7 DMen 2 goalies). They have plenty of extra room on their taxi squad to stick someone. Forward Kristian Vesaklainen to the taxi squad would seem the likely move...

Last edited:

cmaleski2

Here is an interview with John Forslund on Barrett Sports Media. It’s sounds like there is still some lingering bitterness on how it ended here:

“Looking back a lot and looking ahead, that’s good. I still haven’t reconciled as to the why, but the why wasn’t my doing. It’s somebody else. They have to figure out why they did it. It is the way it is; we’ll just make the best of it moving forward and I’ll just keep my options open.”

The why IS partially his doing. He got an offer from the Canes he didn't deem worthy, and didn't take it.

Sorry John, I understand you got what you deemed a completely unacceptable offer and yeah, the Canes were likely 99% in the wrong for lowballing you so badly. But its not like they didn't make an offer, which is what your 'the why wasn't my doing' comment implies. The why is pretty simple, you got an offer you elected not to accept. Why you are not still calling Canes games isn't 100% on the Canes.

cmon3

I don’t know anything but John’s situation with the national gig probably has a lot to do with the low offer. It would have to. He can reference his years of loyal service fairly but when you are planning to miss some percent of the games for your other gig the team has to look at how that works. Add in the lack of info available about if there would be a season or how broadcasting would figure in. Maybe the offer was too low etc. but John was not all in for this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.