• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 NHL/Miscellaneous News Thread

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
BTW ... Tampa benefitted from some (more) questionable officiating last night, but they fairly well swarmed NYI either way in a 4-2 win. They came out in that high gear that they hit when they're ticked off.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
BTW ... Tampa benefitted from some (more) questionable officiating last night, but they fairly well swarmed NYI either way in a 4-2 win. They came out in that high gear that they hit when they're ticked off.
They spent 20% over the cap, that means they can have 20% more skaters on the ice, right?

cmaleski2

The Brayden Point 'goalie interference' call where he got a big 'speedskating relay push' right into Varlomov was ridiculous, so not every terrible call went Tampa's way.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
They spent 20% over the cap, that means they can have 20% more skaters on the ice, right?
The math checks out, yes. BTW ... as good as Kucherov has looked during the post season thus far, he's only now hitting the place in terms of games played where you would expect him to start getting comfortable. If he gets any MORE comfortable out there, woof.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
The Brayden Point 'goalie interference' call where he got a big 'speedskating relay push' right into Varlomov was ridiculous, so not every terrible call went Tampa's way.
Yeah ... I couldn't even begin to go blow by blow (or blown call by blown call) on the series thus far because it would look like all the others. Embarrassingly bad. Same as every other game I've watched this post season. Your options seem to be "refs call nothing all game" and "refs call stuff but get half of what they call wrong." There's very little between those two extremes.

Boardwork

While knowing they suck, it would be tough to be given guidelines to make some calls in the regular season and not making them in the playoffs---whether explicit or implied.

Being lousy at your job and having to deal with different guidelines is a recipe for these daily disasters

CanadaCanes

What do they say about addicts...until they admit they have a problem, nothing will really ever change! The NHL will never admit that they have lousy officials top to bottom nor will they admit how bad they blunder the player safety office...so until they do, expect everything to be as shitty as ever and probably even shittier...good times!

cmon3

There needs to be a standard and they need to call it that way all the time.
In baseball they don’t start calling balls just foul fair.

it’s unfair to not be consistent in how you call the game.

Part of the issue is illustrated by Tripp’s idea that the refs have to feel the game. That’s bs. If Team A has worked their ass off to get momentum and then slashes it’s a penalty.

Tryamw

What’s wrong with Petrey’s eyes?
Basically some of the blood vessels in the eye burst.
In and of itself is typically benign. Sneezing for example can cause it.
My dad gets them as a side effect of getting a shot in the eye..
It of course depends on cause but it mostly is looking far worse then the reality.
It doesn't take much blood for the effect.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
It of course depends on cause but it mostly is looking far worse then the reality.
Yeah ... before I switched blood thinners, I got blood in my eyes during the worst part of allergy season a couple of years ago. You look like an extra on a B horror movie set, but it's otherwise mostly benign.

LJG

Barfing after getting way too drunk.
Raises hand.

LJG

lawsuit says Blackhawks video coach sexually assaulted 2 players in 2010

Why didn't they stomp him into a mud spot on the spot?

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Why didn't they stomp him into a mud spot on the spot?
Because that would require them admitting that they had been sexually abused in the first place ... presuming you asked that with a straight face. If not, my bad.

NoMich

Because that would require them admitting that they had been sexually abused in the first place ... presuming you asked that with a straight face. If not, my bad.

Also, he has/had a position of power within the org. Players are much more disposable that other staff are.