• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 NHL/Miscellaneous News Thread

NoMich

Depending on the player, of course. The guys that are not as good as the top guys on the team are, probably feel quite vulnerable already. You start throwing accusations like sexual assault around, stigma of that aside in a sport that calls people who care about other people "greenpeace pukes," and these players probably thought that they were going to shipped away to the Siberian Leagues for good.

Last edited:

LJG

I guess I'd take my chances on the Siberian league if someone took liberties with me. But then, I know from my life that my 'full on psycho mode' is pretty hair trigger.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Habs coach Dominique Ducharme tested positive for Covid. He received his 2nd vaccination on June 9, so still not fully effective. He’ll have to isolate for 10 days.

NoMich

Speaking of gritty wins, how about Montreal pulling that one out of their behinds? Great comeback and great win on a beauty of a goal in OT

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Helmet ads are here to stay. The Jets signed a 5 year deal with Bell for their helmets. The Canes switched from PNC to DieHard for the playoffs, co-sponsored by Raleigh-based Advance Auto Parts, which owns the DieHard brand. Is this the first step toward jersey sponsors? The Golden State Warriors make almost $20 million per year from Rakuten for a 2x2 jersey patch.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Vegas doesn't look all that great out there either to be honest. Was the Central just that good?
Nah. What you're seeing is a combination of fatigue from the effort required to oust Colorado and the limitations of Pete De Boer. He's got two "tactics" up his sleeve ...
1. Go play however you want, concentrating on keeping possession down low

2. Trap and counter with the lead.

You know what two things are specifically VERY hard to do against a defense-first team like Montreal that's executing their game plan well? Yup. Those two things. This looks pretty much exactly like what happened to Vegas in the bubble against Dallas. For exactly the same reasons.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Oh please don't put ads on the jerseys. Those just makes jerseys look horrendous.
There's a pretty wide gap between a simple shirt sponsor with a patch on the jersey and the walking billboard stuff we see in Europe. I'm OK with exploiting that gap. Heck, a patch on the shoulder opposite the captain letters and something above or below the nameplate on the back ... fine with me. Just nothing on the pants or the front of the helmet please. Those are the ones that start to make it look clownish, IMO.

Christer

There's a pretty wide gap between a simple shirt sponsor with a patch on the jersey and the walking billboard stuff we see in Europe. I'm OK with exploiting that gap. Heck, a patch on the shoulder opposite the captain letters and something above or below the nameplate on the back ... fine with me. Just nothing on the pants or the front of the helmet please. Those are the ones that start to make it look clownish, IMO.
Yeah but how do you think it started over here. Once they start with it I'm affraid they wont stop until jerseys look like european ones.

Paulie Walnuts

I recall Jordan was not happy that the olympic BB team wore reebok when he's a nike guy. For a picture he had a flag cover up the reebok logo.

Nationals stadium is 12 years old and no business name on it. I assume they haven't found the right deal.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Vegas fought through a weirdly officiated game (almost an un-officiated game, really) to take a grinding Game 4 win in Montreal ... Canes legend Nic Roy with the OT winner. If this was a proper league, neither Chris Lee nor Dan O'Rourke would work another game this post-season, but it's the NHL so they'll all but certainly work the Finals.

cmaleski2

Nic Roy continues to be pay dividends for Vegas.

I assume that Vegas is going to protect Lehner and expose MAF to Seattle in the expansion draft. Given MAF will only have one year left on his deal at a $7 million cap hit, anyone think Seattle goes there? I would assume MAF wouldn't be very happy about moving to another expansion team. He also turns 37 in November.

Vegas might be going through this weird 2 #1 goalies setup for one more season after this one.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
I recall Jordan was not happy that the olympic BB team wore reebok when he's a nike guy. For a picture he had a flag cover up the reebok logo.

Nationals stadium is 12 years old and no business name on it. I assume they haven't found the right deal.
10 MLB stadiums don’t have sponsor names, that includes Busch in St. Louis. Only 2 NHL arenas are unsponsored, MSG and Nassau Coliseum, but it will be down to just the Garden next year, the Islanders new arena is sponsored by UBS. In the NFL, it’s only Lambeau Field and Paul Brown Stadium. Arrowhead and Mile High have field sponsors GEHA Filed at Arrowhead Stadium and Empower Field at Mile High Stadium.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Honestly, if I'm Seattle I'm avoiding Fleury and letting Vegas continue to hold the bag for their own weird roster building decisions. At 37, you have to figure MAF only has maybe one more stretch left in the tank and the only reason you're paying $7 million to gamble on that would be for PR reasons. And honestly, Seattle doesn't need the PR bump. If anything, the hype is TOO hot right now. Taking Fleury would only further stoke expectations that they will win right away and I'm just not convinced that's what they're shooting for up there.