• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 NHL/Miscellaneous News Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tenn. State which is a HBCU might start division I hockey for men and women. They are in Nashville. They would be the first HBCU with hockey. I would guess Predators might help out with funding.

I watch at least 130 to 140 Mets games every season on TV (and during normal years try to get to a handful of their games in-person) and remain a passionate baseball fan. I also have Bulls' season tickets that I provide for my employees while also getting to about a half dozen games a year.

Hockey is (as it's always been) my favorite sport, but I still love baseball.

I subscribe to MLB.tv and watch as many Cubs and Tigers games as I can every season. Yeah, the Tigers are basement dwellers right now, but 1) I want to watch Miguel Cabrera, one of the greatest Tigers of all time, get to 500 HR and 3000 hits, and B) they have a couple of franchise players in the minors that I'm waiting on.

I watch at least 130 to 140 Mets games every season on TV (and during normal years try to get to a handful of their games in-person) and remain a passionate baseball fan. I also have Bulls' season tickets that I provide for my employees while also getting to about a half dozen games a year.

Hockey is (as it's always been) my favorite sport, but I still love baseball.
Now Stroman has caught the injury bug. Unreal.

Gotta say, those Habs are damn feeling it. Great effort against Vegas tonight.
Yup. And the predictable comments from other fan bases has already started ... we need to get heavier/bigger, we need to add some fossils like Corey Perry, we need to be playing a more defensive style, yadda, yadda. Look, nothing against Montreal fans. They're supporting the team they've been presented with, but everybody else should be looking at Nick Suzuki and Cole Caulfied, not the grunts. Chances are great that your team already has grunt. EVERYBODY has those guys, and unless the refs are going to let them hook, hold, smash, grab and otherwise caveman their way through the regular season, then they're just that ... grunts.

Carey Price has also played like an elite NHL goalie for the most part, that has helped a lot. I still don't think Montreal overall is a very good team, but they apparently have the right mix for playoff success which is all you need of course. Vegas has been completely frustrated just trying to do much of anything effectively. Even though Vegas was my Cup champs pick, having watched them play quite a bit now in the playoffs with Nic Roy out there 20 minutes a game, you realize that while they have a lot of high priced high end talent, it comes at the expense of depth and balance.

And for sure, Nick Suzuki has raised his profile big time in these playoffs. He's been a significant factor in all 3 zones. Whether or not he can continue to develop and become a #1 center remains to be seen, but he's been great in the playoffs for sure. Cole Caufield I've heard roofed a backhand out of the womb, so seeing him score goals shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. That is all he has done at every level he has played. There is little reason to think he isn't at least 30 goals in the bank every season, if not 40. He is Alex DeBrincat, maybe not quite as effective in the neutral zone and his own end (yet) but maybe a better goal scorer.

Carey Price has also played like an elite NHL goalie for the most part, that has helped a lot. I still don't think Montreal overall is a very good team, but they apparently have the right mix for playoff success which is all you need of course. Vegas has been completely frustrated just trying to do much of anything effectively. Even though Vegas was my Cup champs pick, having watched them play quite a bit now in the playoffs with Nic Roy out there 20 minutes a game, you realize that while they have a lot of high priced high end talent, it comes at the expense of depth and balance.

And for sure, Nick Suzuki has raised his profile big time in these playoffs. He's been a significant factor in all 3 zones. Whether or not he can continue to develop and become a #1 center remains to be seen, but he's been great in the playoffs for sure. Cole Caufield I've heard roofed a backhand out of the womb, so seeing him score goals shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. That is all he has done at every level he has played. There is little reason to think he isn't at least 30 goals in the bank every season, if not 40. He is Alex DeBrincat, maybe not quite as effective in the neutral zone and his own end (yet) but maybe a better goal scorer.
Have to agree with this, Montreal is not a great team overall, they have found quite a few breaks along the way, but Price has been the biggest factor by far and it's not even close! Vegas surprised me by knocking off Colorado who I thought was the better team and would have given the Habs fits...Vegas is a good team, but when your top line is centered by Chandler Stephenson and your whole forward line units are thrown off by losing that guy, are you really that scary to play against overall?

Tampa right now is really looking good for a repeat!

For my money, Caufield's ridiculous shot means he's got elite scorer potential, but the kid's got the dimes too. And he's got the drive and the aggression to score to make that step up in class, I think. Size-wise, yeah ... DeBrincat is a good comparable, but he's good enough with the puck on his stick to have a bit more upside I think. Montreal got a real gem there. Suzuki? Who knows? He's at least a quality second scoring line center, and he's showing me more in all zones than I've ever noticed from him before. He could well be a legit 1C ... he's certainly playing like one right now, but the proof is always in being able to sustain it.

Price? He's not stealing this series. He's playing really, really well, for sure but I don't think he's doing anything too bananas. The system in front of him has been rock solid and they're taking away that low meat grinder game that Vegas loves to play. Vegas is leaning WAY too much on the Plan B, which is shots from the point with traffic ... but they aren't getting enough traffic to make it work to the level they need. Plus, Vegas is just frustrated out of their freaking minds right now and that's the same thing that happened to them against Dallas last playoffs. You know how I feel about DeBoer ... wrong guy for that job. He's good at getting teams to do what that team already does well, and they need somebody to bring something different.

Seattle Kraken presser at 1 on Thursday. Rick Tocchet is widely seen as the front runner for the coach’s job.

Seattle Kraken presser at 1 on Thursday. Rick Tocchet is widely seen as the front runner for the coach’s job.
Ian Furness, who has a show on KJR, which is the radio home of the Kraken, says today’s presser is to announce a head coach and it is NOT Rick Tocchet.

Ian Furness, who has a show on KJR, which is the radio home of the Kraken, says today’s presser is to announce a head coach and it is NOT Rick Tocchet.
Good for them. Somebody finally figured out that Tocchet has never once coached a team that could consistently score ... or even sporadically score.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back