• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 NHL/Miscellaneous News Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to look at all the various mock expansion drafts floating around. Seattle can literally build an All Star team (from 5 years ago) or go cheap, young and versatile ... or anywhere in between. I know what Ronnie has said about the game plan, but I wonder how itchy the Hollywood money gets when they see those big names on the exposed list. Now, most of those big names are old or broken or both ... but you know how it goes.

My guess ... Francis largely sticks to the plan and drafts cheap, but selects one or maybe two big name guys for marketing.

Preds prospect Luke Prokop comes out. He was drafted in the 3rd round of the 2020 draft and will be headed to his first NHL camp in September. He still has 1 more year of major Junior with the Calgary Hitmen in the WHL. Good on ya, kid.

The article is unlocked at The Athletic.

Wyshynski says the NHL schedule, which will be released on Thursday, Will include a break for the Olympics with the caveat that NHL participation is not guaranteed.

Wyshynski says the NHL schedule, which will be released on Thursday, Will include a break for the Olympics with the caveat that NHL participation is not guaranteed.

Better than just saying NO I guess.

Preds prospect Luke Prokop comes out. He was drafted in the 3rd round of the 2020 draft and will be headed to his first NHL camp in September. He still has 1 more year of major Junior with the Calgary Hitmen in the WHL. Good on ya, kid.

The article is unlocked at The Athletic.

The 1st? I seem to recall there being others.

The 1st? I seem to recall there being others.
Not that it matters really, but I think the general idea is that there has never been an active NHL player who is openly gay. I mean, there still isn't ... but any previous players who came out only did so when they were done playing or no longer viable prospects.

There has been a lot of 'chatter' picked up by the 'pundits' over the past few days related to Seattle and some of the players that have been made available.

The big one involves some moves that will end up with Jakob Vorecek in Seattle and Vlad Tarasenko ending up in Philly. If that plays out it will put St. Louis in a position to take a run at free agent forwards (Landeskog?)

Once we finally get to it and get the results from the expansion draft announced tomorrow night things will get nutty quickly across the league.

Yeah ... all the fancy stuff the writers were convinced would go down before the protected lists came out might well end up happing after the ex draft instead. Although, if I let actual history with Ron Francis as my GM be my guide, I have a sneaking suspicion that a lot of this supposed wheeler dealering springs from wish-casting and active imaginations among the hockey media. I always ask myself ... is that three team swap involving 6 players something that sounds like Ron Francis? And the answer is always no.

My guess ... very few side deals happen and Francis straight up runs his draft off of the exposed list. THEN maybe he makes a few deals from that haul. He might be up for taking a Tarasenko if he's sure he can move him, but this being Ronnie I'd bet it's just a straightforward player for player or player for picks/prospects deal.

The Carey Price stuff really has taken on a smell of it's own...Bergevin using the media to try and play games I guess...many calling him out and of course others calling it a genius move. The league puts all these rules in place and some teams like to play games to skirt the rules...good times!

Yeah. I'm not touching any of that. I think Seattle would be idiotic to take Price's contract given his performance, age and health situation. But if they want to spend $10 million of their cap on a guy who's almost certainly going to be of higher PR value than on ice value, then knock yourselves out. Again, it just seems stupid to me.

Yeah. I'm not touching any of that. I think Seattle would be idiotic to take Price's contract given his performance, age and health situation. But if they want to spend $10 million of their cap on a guy who's almost certainly going to be of higher PR value than on ice value, then knock yourselves out. Again, it just seems stupid to me.
If they went Driedger, Kahkonen and Venecek in net that at least gives you three fairly young goalies with hopes that at least one of them can grab the starters crease with one of the other young guys plying his trade in the AHL for future use. Or if you really felt like you needed a vet you could grab Holtby too I guess. Price just seems like an incredibly high price to pay on your cap.

Persistent rumors tie Seattle to Driedger, although he's got the same problem as Ned in Carolina ... an incredibly slim body of work. Likewise, Vanecek only started to look like an actual NHL goalie last season. You could build a fairly typical NHL expansion team goalie tandem out of those two, but it's a VERY conventional play. Then again, Ronnie Franchise IS a very conventional guy, so ...

expansion picks submitted by 10 am today and then they have to stop leaks until 8 pm other 31 teams can make trades from 1 pm Thursday

picks in alpha order by teams so we will know Canes guy early on

Last edited:
The first expansion shoe has dropped. Seattle signs UFA dman Adam Larsson, 4 years/$16 million. Frank Seravalli reports that they’re also close on a contract with Jamie Oleksiak.

The first expansion shoe has dropped. Seattle signs UFA dman Adam Larsson, 4 years/$16 million. Frank Seravalli reports that they’re also close on a contract with Jamie Oleksiak.

Adding two defenders from the ufa pile also takes up two NHL roster spots for the Kraken blue line to boot. Interesting development in regards to defense slots left open for Mr. Bean! Nino Niedereiter come on down…

One bit of business that I like about those two signings for the Kraken is they signed those two guys from teams in Edmonton and Dallas that really left nothing but spare parts on their unprotected lists for the most part. So sign and grab a player you like as a UFA instead of wasting the pick on a spare part you don't!

Last edited:
Adding two defenders from the ufa pile also takes up two NHL roster spots for the Kraken blue line to boot. Interesting development in regards to defense slots left open for Mr. Bean! Nino Niedereiter come on down…

One bit of business that I like about those two signings for the Kraken is they signed those two guys from teams in Edmonton and Dallas that really left nothing but spare parts on their unprotected lists for the most part. So sign and grab a player you like as a UFA instead of wasting the pick on a spare part you don't!
Neither were on the list from The Athletic that Cmaleski posted in the other thread. Signing Oleksiak might mean one or more of the lefties slotted ahead of Bean…Giordano, Dunn, Zadorov…aren't picked and Bean moves up in the pecking order. And with 2 stay at home guys signed, he needs someone to run a power play unit.

Neither were on the list from The Athletic that Cmaleski posted in the other thread. Signing Oleksiak might mean one or more of the lefties slotted ahead of Bean…Giordano, Dunn, Zadorov…aren't picked and Bean moves up in the pecking order. And with 2 stay at home guys signed, he needs someone to run a power play unit.
I still believe Bean is the pick for the Kraken, but similar to what CMal said yesterday, there needs to be room on the Kraken blueline for Bean to be a mainstay since he is not waiver exempt.

Look ... I like Giordano and he's had a wonderful career, but that dude is 37 years old and has put together back to back seasons where he is obviously in decline. Why on earth would everyone be assuming that Seattle is going to take him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back