• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 NHL/Miscellaneous News Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brassard is ... not good ... but at least he's cheap and knows their system. He can still defend the middle of the ice a bit.
He hasn’t been since he left the Rangers, although he had 2 ok seasons in Ottawa. Good on faceoffs, supposed to be good in the locker room and that’s all he brings anymore.

Flyers extend Sean Couturier, 8 years/$62 million (where have I seen that before?). He’s going into the last year of a 6 year/$24 million contract, so he got a nice bump from that.

The Islanders are doing some business today

Goalie Ilya Sorokin, 3 years/$12 million

Forward Kyle Palmieri, 4 years/$20 million

Forward Anthony Beauvillier, 3 years/$12.45 million

Forward Casey Cizikas, 6 years/$15 million

That business of course was done probably more than a month ago, but Lou L., maybe for actual competitive 'don't want you to know what our cap situation is early' or just to attract attention to himself and the Islanders (or some other reason only known to him), elected to hold onto these filing until today.

Uncle Lou just signed Casey freaking Cizikas to a 6 year deal .... starting at age 30. Does he sign guys PLANNING to buy them out at some point down the road?

And for the record, I know Canes fans seemed interested but I'm glad we're not the ones playing Palmieri $5 million a year

Uncle Lou just signed Casey freaking Cizikas to a 6 year deal .... starting at age 30. Does he sign guys PLANNING to buy them out at some point down the road?

And for the record, I know Canes fans seemed interested but I'm glad we're not the ones playing Palmieri $5 million a year
That’s only a 7.5% bump for Palmieri for 4 points in 17 games for the Isles on top of 17 points in 34 games for the Devils. He’d have had to take a haircut to come here, Lou can have him for 5 bills.

The Blues signed Colton Parayko to an 8 year extension with a $6.5 million AAV. He’s headed into the last year of a 5 year contract with a $5.5 million AAV. He will have just turned 37 when the extension expires.

Last edited:
Michael Russo, who covers the Wild for The Athletic, tweeted that he spoke to Zach Parise, who confirmed he was headed to the Isles. A contract has been agreed to but not registered with the league yet.

Michael Russo, who covers the Wild for The Athletic, tweeted that he spoke to Zach Parise, who confirmed he was headed to the Isles. A contract has been agreed to but not registered with the league yet.
Of course he is.

Flyers Sign Joel Farabee to a 6 year/$30 extension. He’s going into the last year of his entry deal.

Slugs re-sign Henri Jokiharju and Casey Mittlestadt. They each get 3 years/$7.5 million.

The league released their Covid protocols today. Basically, life will be miserable, and possibly financially costly, for unvaccinated players.

Yup. Anybody who looks at those protocols and decides to remain unvaxxed is Carson Wentz level stupid.

Yup. Anybody who looks at those protocols and decides to remain unvaxxed is Carson Wentz level stupid.
I think the proposals were released in draft a few weeks ago. The NHLPA says that in the last few weeks, the vaccination rate has gone from about 85% to 95%

I think the proposals were released in draft a few weeks ago. The NHLPA says that in the last few weeks, the vaccination rate has gone from about 85% to 95%
There's one guy on the Canes roster who I suspect will be a problem ... and I think we all know who I'm talking about.

The league, NHLPA and IIHF have reached an agreement to send NHL players to the 2022 Olympics. The league or players could withdraw at any time if there is a Covid outbreak or other circumstances change before the games.

Yeah, everybody's acting like this is a done deal. It flat out isn't and I don't trust Bettman to follow through. If there's even the slightest hint of a new outbreak or a mild complaint from an insurer and this deal is toast.

Sharks Associate coach Rocky Thompson resigned. He says he has a medical condition that prevents him from getting the Covid vaccine and, under the league’s new protocols, he says that will prevent him from fulfilling his duties.

Sens re-sign RFA Drake Batherson, 6 years/$29.85 million. He came off his entry deal. He had 6 goals, 13 assists in 43 games across his first 2 seasons but had 17 goals, 17 assists in his first full NHL season. And that’s worth nearly $5 million per?

Red Wings re-sign RFA Filip Hronek, 3 years/$13.2 million. He came off his entry deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back