• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 NHL/Miscellaneous News Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Seattle Kraken and Climate Pledge Arena announced a vaccination requirement for all fans 12 and older. They have the same requirement for the preseason games in Everett, Spokane and Kent, although they didn’t announce that until after tickets were sold.

Another assistant coach is out after declining a Covid vaccine. The Jackets fired Sylvain Lefebvre, who had been hired to new coach Brad Larsen’s staff in June. He’ll be replaced by Cleveland Monsters Associate Coach Steve McCarthy.

Turner has completed their NHL broadcast and studio teams. Kenny Albert and Brendan Burke will have play by play duties. Eddie Olczyk and Darren Pang will be analysts and Keith Jones will be at ice level. Jennifer Botterill, Tarik El-Bashir and a Jackie Redmond will also contribute.

Liam McHugh moves over from NBC to pick up the studio hosting gig. He’ll be joined by a rotating cast of Wayne Gretzky, Anson Carter, Rick Tocchet and Paul Bissonnette.

Lots of familiar faces and lots of new 'old' faces. Paul Bissonnette eh.? We need a lot of him and Charles Barkley in studio at the same time please.

Lots of familiar faces and lots of new 'old' faces. Paul Bissonnette eh.? We need a lot of him and Charles Barkley in studio at the same time please.
We know what Anson Carter brings and if we get anything useful from Gretzky, I’ll be shocked. But Tocchet as a recent retiree (unless he wants to coach again and won’t rock the boat) and Bissonnette give me hope that it won’t be a pablum-filled studio show. I always liked Panger on game broadcasts but haven’t seen enough of Keith Jones outside the studio to judge.

Liam McHugh moves over from NBC to pick up the studio hosting gig. He’ll be joined by a rotating cast of Wayne Gretzky, Anson Carter, Rick Tocchet and Paul Bissonnette.

Liam ... yes. But that other cast of mooks will keep me from paying any attention to the studio stuff. Which is basically no change from previous

Paul "Missed the Net"s finest work might be plugging the Pink Whitney vodka for New Amsterdam with his buddy Ryan Whitney, I have enjoyed a few bottles of that spirit around the pool this summer and it goes down pretty easy! 🍷

I have very little time for Bissonette, honestly. He's more "personality" that anything else and I find his personality tiresome.

Liam ... yes. But that other cast of mooks will keep me from paying any attention to the studio stuff. Which is basically no change from previous
I'm thrilled that nobody offered Mike Milbury a job. Is there a more tiresome studio analyst in NHL broadcast history? That guy is tapered at both ends, because he's a giant turd.

Jim

You know. These kinds of broadcasting roles must be a really hard thing to do because there are VERY few people seem to do it well. Too bad they couldn’t get Roy Kent.
The FCC fines would bankrupt the rights holder.

TNT might not like us, but different story for Disney.

The Mouse and his affiliates also announced their NHL schedule:

Note that the Canes have several 'exclusive games' on ESPN, ABC and ESPN+/Hulu

Dec. 148 p.m.ESPN+/HuluCarolina vs. Minnesota
Jan. 137 p.m.ESPN+/HuluColumbus vs. Carolina
March 297 p.m.ESPN+/HuluCarolina vs. Tampa Bay
April 57 p.m.ESPN+/HuluCarolina vs. Buffalo
April 77 p.m.ESPN+/HuluPittsburgh vs. NY Rangers
7:30 p.m.ESPN+/HuluBuffalo vs. Carolina
April 147 p.m.ESPN+/HuluDetroit vs. Carolina

March 247 p.m.ESPNDallas Stars vs. Carolina Hurricanes

March 123 p.m.ABC/ESPN+Philadelphia Flyers vs. Carolina Hurricanes

I guess that means ALL of those games are not going to be on Bally's? It also means that unless you have access to ESPN+ or Hulu, there are 7 Canes games you won't be able to watch.

Last edited:
TNT might not like us, but different story for Disney.

The Mouse and his affiliates also announced their NHL schedule:

Note that the Canes have several 'exclusive games' on ESPN, ABC and ESPN+/Hulu

Dec. 148 p.m.ESPN+/HuluCarolina vs. Minnesota
Jan. 137 p.m.ESPN+/HuluColumbus vs. Carolina
March 297 p.m.ESPN+/HuluCarolina vs. Tampa Bay
April 57 p.m.ESPN+/HuluCarolina vs. Buffalo
April 77 p.m.ESPN+/HuluPittsburgh vs. NY Rangers
7:30 p.m.ESPN+/HuluBuffalo vs. Carolina
April 147 p.m.ESPN+/HuluDetroit vs. Carolina

March 247 p.m.ESPNDallas Stars vs. Carolina Hurricanes

March 123 p.m.ABC/ESPN+Philadelphia Flyers vs. Carolina Hurricanes

I guess that means ALL of those games are not going to be on Bally's? It also means that unless you have access to ESPN+ or Hulu, there are 7 Canes games you won't be able to watch.
Only the last 2 games are on linear TV, everything else is streaming. And isn’t Hulu+ required for live sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back