• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

So just curious to the locals in here...at what retained salary number does Karlsson make sense for the Canes? Are we talking anything like $7 million or under and of course Pesce or Skjei's cap hit being moved out for it to work? I guess in a perfect world 50% retention on that fat Karlsson cap hit is a big win...if you could get that.
I get the upside on Karlsson but do we think adding Bunting is enough to put us over the top offensively? Just not sure.

I get the upside on Karlsson but do we think adding Bunting is enough to put us over the top offensively? Just not sure.
Personally, I thought moving out Skjei or Pesce for offensive help was the best plan once they signed Orlov, but if Karlsson comes in, how much cap space is left to truly bring in another solid offensive piece up front?

Personally, I thought moving out Skjei or Pesce for offensive help was the best plan once they signed Orlov, but if Karlsson comes in, how much cap space is left to truly bring in another solid offensive piece up front?
Would depend entirely on how much San Jose is willing to retain on his contract. Which is a thing we have no way of knowing.

So just curious to the locals in here...at what retained salary number does Karlsson make sense for the Canes? Are we talking anything like $7 million or under and of course Pesce or Skjei's cap hit being moved out for it to work? I guess in a perfect world 50% retention on that fat Karlsson cap hit is a big win...if you could get that.
I still don't understand how Karlsson would make us better in the ways that we need to get better. As a replacement for Pesce or Skjei he clearly makes us worse defensively. And if TDA is around and going to play AND Karlsson is here, then we really are opening up a giant hole in what was one of the best blueline defenses in the NHL over the past 3 years.

Would having Karlsson in our lineup improve our goal scoring so significantly that we could 'make do' with the forwards we currently have? Is our management thinking with Karlsson and TDA we would own possession and improve goal scoring so much that we could risk being worse defensively?

For me it impossible to answer that question. That being the case, I cringe at the assets we would have to trade away to acquire Karlsson. Retention obviously would be a big requirement, but if the Canes really think that Karlsson would somehow unlock a whole bunch of offense out of the crew we have now, anything $7.5 million or below on an AAV could be justified. The truth is I don't trust it and I would be nervous as heck that we just acquired an aging asset that just had the last big production season he will have.

That is all just thinking about the impact to the results on the ice. Erik Karlsson is an NHL superstar, the level of which we don't currently have. From a BUSINESS side, having Karlsson on the Canes would be a major marketing coup.

I still don't understand how Karlsson would make us better in the ways that we need to get better. As a replacement for Pesce or Skjei he clearly makes us worse defensively. And if TDA is around and going to play AND Karlsson is here, then we really are opening up a giant hole in what was one of the best blueline defenses in the NHL over the past 3 years.

Would having Karlsson in our lineup improve our goal scoring so significantly that we could 'make do' with the forwards we currently have? Is our management thinking with Karlsson and TDA we would own possession and improve goal scoring so much that we could risk being worse defensively?

For me it impossible to answer that question. That being the case, I cringe at the assets we would have to trade away to acquire Karlsson. Retention obviously would be a big requirement, but if the Canes really think that Karlsson would somehow unlock a whole bunch of offense out of the crew we have now, anything $7.5 million or below on an AAV could be justified. I don't see it, I don't trust it, I would be nervous as heck that we just acquire and aging asset that just had the last big production season he will have.

That is all just thinking about the impact to the results on the ice. Erik Karlsson is an NHL superstar, the level of which we don't currently have. From a BUSINESS side, having Karlsson on the Canes would be a major marketing coup.
Your last sentence speaks volumes about perhaps why they are so actively interested...is the business side of the equation the real focus and the negative impact defensively to the blue line be damned...which is why I hope this one does not go down.

For me it impossible to answer that question. That being the case, I cringe at the assets we would have to trade away to acquire Karlsson. Retention obviously would be a big requirement, but if the Canes really think that Karlsson would somehow unlock a whole bunch of offense out of the crew we have now, anything $7.5 million or below on an AAV could be justified. I don't see it, I don't trust it, I would be nervous as heck that we just acquire and aging asset that just had the last big production season he will have.

I have been saying the same thing for a few weeks now. I’m in total agreement with you. The Canes are in much more need of a goal scoring forward. The team’s defense would go from the most respected to the least, overnight (at least perceived).

Given that the TDA deal is still not finalized/announced, I'm speculating that if the Canes do trade for Erik Karlsson, the TDA deal will not happen at all. Should the Canes efforts to trade for Karlsson fall through, then the Canes will circle back and complete the TDA trade. That would make a heck of a lot more sense than acquiring both players.

What that doesn't answer though is what happens with Brady Skjei. Its all gloom and doom with a Pesce trade just being a matter of when and not if, but are we just going to play out Brady Skjei's situation?

Slavin-Burns
Orlov-Karlsson
Skjei-Chatfield ?

OR

Slavin-Burns
Skjei-Orlov
Chatfield-TDA?

OR

Slavin-Burns
Orlov-Chatfield
???-TDA ?

Last edited:
They still desperately need a top 6 forward capable of scoring 30 goals. We have some guys who get put into top 6 roles now, who just aren't cutting it.
While I agree that the Canes need to get better offensively, I'm not completely buying the desperate need for one move ... unless that move is adding McDavid or Pasta or insert pet player here without subtracting anything, which is magical thinking. They need to add scoring, yes, but they need it in the aggregate. Take the offensive output of last season and add 30 goals and you're at just shy of 300 goals ... 3rd or 4th in the NHL, and if you stay at roughly the same goals allowed then you're in Boston territory* on goal diff. For me the question is how do they get to 300 goals scored while staying in the low 200s allowed, not what 30 goal scorer are they getting ... acknowledging that they've already added surplus offense players in Orlov and Bunting.

*Boston didn't win anything people claim to care about last year, while Vegas and Carolina had very similar statistical seasons. What we're really talking about is playing better at the right time. And adding a scoring winger helps the chances of that happening by increasing the margin of error if nothing else.

Losing Pesce would create a big hole and knock the back line out of balance. I see him as one of the most under rated and better defensive players out there. Exactly who out there is available with a comparable skill set & at what price? I understand that Pesce is worth more than he's currently making, but how much of his game is him, versus how much can be attributed to the system he plays in or who he's partnered with? Are the Hurricanes and Pesce that far apart in their negotiations where it's to the point that he's unlikely to be around next year? Isn't there a middle ground they could agree on?

Karlsson and TDA are nowhere near the same type of player who could fill a Pesce-type role. If the Hurricanes are being built to win games 8 to 6, then I understand it. But if they're not, what are we doing?

Jim

Losing Pesce would create a big hole and knock the back line out of balance. I see him as one of the most under rated and better defensive players out there. Exactly who out there is available with a comparable skill set & at what price? I understand that Pesce is worth more than he's currently making, but how much of his game is him, versus how much can be attributed to the system he plays in or who he's partnered with? Are the Hurricanes and Pesce that far apart in their negotiations where it's to the point that he's unlikely to be around next year? Isn't there a middle ground they could agree on?

Karlsson and TDA are nowhere near the same type of player who could fill a Pesce-type role. If the Hurricanes are being built to win games 8 to 6, then I understand it. But if they're not, what are we doing?

Jim
Meh. I'd say wait and see if that's even a thing to worry about.

Chip writes about Scott Morrow. He’s leaning toward staying in school for his junior year, probably a smart decision considering the lack of an AHL affiliate has everything in flux. He also has a couple of words about Lucas Mercuri, who is 6‘3”, 220 lbs. and has added 8 lbs. of muscle since school ended.

I don’t know if Chip’s articles are subscriber exclusives but here is the link.

Morrow could just use a positive experience this season and that's probably more likely to happen in college. He knocked a lot of the shine off of his rep last season despite strong point production. If he has a strong season at UMass, he's the kind of guy who could potentially jump straight to the NHL, but he's got to figure out how how to play in the D zone first.

Back