• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

I think the general idea is that when a legit Norris trophy level guy is on the market, and you need star power ... you go and try to figure it out. Yeah, Karlsson is a very specific flavor of player but he's VERY good so maybe it's worth the re-working you'd have to do after you get him. I dunno. That seems to be the thinking. It's defense-able even if it's not the course of action I'd choose. I mean, I'd also choose not to sign an idiot like Lemiuex or even talk to Philly about DeAngelo. So, clearly I'm not calling the shots here.

I will say this tho ... the Canes have been pretty freaking successful when absolutely confounding and sometimes infuriating the collective wisdom of the hockey press. This interest in Karlsson fits that to a tee. Nobody in the media is bitching about Pittsburgh trying to get him and he doesn't make a hell of a lot more sense on that roster.

Sorry guys. I would LOVE Karlsson in Raleigh. I’m also fine with the other deals because Rod and Don have proven that they know what they are doing. Rod is not going to approve a guy he doesn’t think can work in his system and his rules. They have earned my blind trust on player moves. Call me an idiot, but I love what they are doing. They always have a plan, that we seem to figure out later

I get what Karlsson brings and I’d rather him
on our team than in Pittsburgh. There’s some cache in having a guy like that here. It just seems the focus is on retooling a power play…couldn’t that be done with a Nylander? I like our defense.

Last edited:
It just seems the focus is on retooling a power play…couldn’t that be done with a Nylander? I like our defense.
I mean, it could be ... but that's assuming that Nylander is in play AND that Toronto is willing to move him to the Canes, AND that the Canes could stomach the trade costs, AND (probably) that the Canes can get him extended within their budget. The first part seems likely but is far from a given, the second part is a heck of a presumption and the rest of it is far easier said than done.

See. That's the thing. Elite players only hit the market so often and the Canes have often stuck their foot into the door on a couple of those deals. But all of those things are complicated and there's always more going on that anybody's ever gonna report on. We just have to wait and see what happens. It's one thing to say "just trade Pesce for a scoring winger" and another to figure out how to do that deal for a guy that you'd actually want ... this not being a video game and all. Right now, the elite player on the market is Karlsson and they're in stage one or two of a four or five stage process.

I'm just happy we're in the middle of so many of these discussions. It's a far cry from the days of when elite players hit the market and we weren't even in the hunt.
Just one more step on the fan learning curve. We're absolutely not used to being fans of a franchise that's playing with these stakes. We're used to simply, dinky trades and the odd risky free agent.

The Canes priorities are befuddling. They’re romancing Karlsson when I’d rather get a top six forward with hands. Trade away Pesce if you must, and the player who accompanies him can be Teravainen— MIA all season…
How can we know their priorities? We have a few datapoints in the moves they have made and a lot of speculation. The speculation is fine - that’s what message boards are for but it could turn out that we’re trying to resign Pesce and add Karlsson and adding a scoring winger. At this point they seem to be figuring out what is doable. I pretty much trust the brain trust to make good decisions.

How can we know their priorities? We have a few datapoints in the moves they have made and a lot of speculation. The speculation is fine - that’s what message boards are for but it could turn out that we’re trying to resign Pesce and add Karlsson and adding a scoring winger. At this point they seem to be figuring out what is doable. I pretty much trust the brain trust to make good decisions.
This. We pointedly and firmly do NOT know the team's priorities ... aside from the obvious and long term priority to get engaged in trade talks whenever a truly excellent player hits the market. That's 100% prudent and it sometimes means you're going to get involved in trades talks for guys who aren't an obvious fit for your immediate needs. But those guys would still raise your overall level of team talent, so you take your swings. Fine.

I like all three of the additions to date, and everyone they decided to bring back! This team needed more of an edge and needed to be a bit harder to play against, which I think Orlov, Bunting and even Lemieux address in different ways. The TDA one if it goes down, seems more about the discounted cost at half the salary retained and the previous fit that Roddy liked if in fact they have to trade a right shot D like Pesce.

The future moves are certainly all speculation right now, but I dont think anyone can deny the fact that this team with one more sniper-like goal scorer on the wing added would look really, really good!!!

I like all three of the additions to date, and everyone they decided to bring back! This team needed more of an edge and needed to be a bit harder to play against, which I think Orlov, Bunting and even Lemieux address in different ways. The TDA one if it goes down, seems more about the discounted cost at half the salary retained and the previous fit that Roddy liked if in fact they have to trade a right shot D like Pesce.

The future moves are certainly all speculation right now, but I dont think anyone can deny the fact that this team with one more sniper-like goal scorer on the wing added would look really, really good!!!
We could always used a sniper...unless he's wearing a Sami Kapanen mask. Sorry, inside joke. I had to go there.

Jim

I think this got mentioned briefly above, but it should not be dismissed. It certainly seems that the Canes have decided that the power play just can't keep being an anchor. A lot of fans agree with that and immediately think ... fine, go get me a shooter who can finish like Stamkos or Ovechkin. Problem ... those people are rare for a reason. So how else do you get better? Better point play, for one. Burns was OK on PP1 last year, but I never got the sense that he was on the same page with the other creatives on that unit. And behind him there was absolutely no one else. Coghlan bombed out because he just couldn't handle the d-zone work and then ... nothing until they got Ghost at the trade deadline. So, not only do you not have anyone to run PP2, you don't have anybody to step in for Burns if he's having a rough patch or gets hurt. Of all the roster decisions the Canes made last year, that was maybe the dumbest. Relying on Coghlan was dumb in and of itself, but waiting until the deadline to replace him was borderline malpractice.

Relying on Coghlan was dumb in and of itself, but waiting until the deadline to replace him was borderline malpractice.
If you look at their record through mid season there wasn’t a need to make a move. It was a weak area but it was fine to wait and they tried Coughlan and moved on from that to other D. Ghost started out great and then fizzled.

I think our PP issues are not the D. (Or at least mostly not the D) If our forwards are a threat they open up the points. If they’re not the PK can take away the points which the better PK teams can do and the result is our PP impotence in the playoffs. Not that it was great at any point. We don’t make the PK move - our puck handlers need space with nobody much of a threat post contact with a PK player. So we stay on the perimeter and try for a perfect pass. When we try to drive or pass to a guy in the slot, he’s not big enough to shake off the defender and make the play or he’s got no finish.

If you look at their record through mid season there wasn’t a need to make a move. It was a weak area but it was fine to wait and they tried Coughlan and moved on from that to other D. Ghost started out great and then fizzled.

I think our PP issues are not the D. (Or at least mostly not the D) If our forwards are a threat they open up the points. If they’re not the PK can take away the points which the better PK teams can do and the result is our PP impotence in the playoffs. Not that it was great at any point. We don’t make the PK move - our puck handlers need space with nobody much of a threat post contact with a PK player. So we stay on the perimeter and try for a perfect pass. When we try to drive or pass to a guy in the slot, he’s not big enough to shake off the defender and make the play or he’s got no finish.
Because they waited until the deadline, they never really got the chance to get Ghost integrated into the system ... and they were forced to pick through the pile of available rentals. He's so bad in the d zone that they just hid him as best as they could and let him tinker with PP2. And make no mistake, an effective power play was something that eluded that team right from the start ... and as happened the last two springs, the perpetually sputtering PP failed to cover up other offensive deficiencies in the playoffs. So, yeah ... maybe they're over-correcting this year, maybe not. But it's a reaction to a persistent problem. So far, they've added another quality point man and a quality net-front guy. That's two pieces that have been persistent issues for the last two years.

So, Terasanko and Karlsson are still out there and Pesce is still here…waiting on shoes to drop while all those GMs are at their cottages and summer homes

The PP stunk all season. Through 12/32, 36 games, it was 19.2%. After that? 20.3% in the last 44 games. With Ghost? 21%. Never better than middle of the pack.

Whew! or should I say Ouch? The fact that if those shoes haven’t dropped, the Canes must still be plugged in and working on things…
Wasn't trying to be harsh, really. I've just seen a lot of complaining lately (not here, specifically) about nothing going on in the NHL like there's some sort of obligation to keep the news cycle primed. It's the dog days, guys are out of town and some of this stuff is complicated. One of The Athletic's Pittsburgh guys basically posted that sentiment on his socials and got absolutely roasted for it.

The PP stunk all season. Through 12/32, 36 games, it was 19.2%. After that? 20.3% in the last 44 games. With Ghost? 21%. Never better than middle of the pack.
And there's the issue. While Carolina had a terrific season, it came the hard way. Grinding out Ws 5v5, without much help from the power play at all. And not all of the problems on the power play comes down to not having that mythical extra scoring winger. Some of it is due to the personnel yard sale they were calling PP2. At a minimum the Canes now have two proper PP QBs and two fairly good net-front guys (presuming Noesen sticks with the big club another year).

Back