• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

I asked on the podcast, has anyone played as few games for the Canes but gotten the kind of support that Patches has? I mean, I think the whole fanbase is pulling for him and he played 5 games, it's really beautiful to see.

If there is a silver lining (trying to be positive) better now than in April if it had to happen.

I asked on the podcast, has anyone played as few games for the Canes but gotten the kind of support that Patches has? I mean, I think the whole fanbase is pulling for him and he played 5 games, it's really beautiful to see.

If there is a silver lining (trying to be positive) better now than in April if it had to happen.
Makes sense ... Max is a high profile veteran and he's always been a classy, popular, and well respected player. Plus, the anticipation level for him joining the Canes was really quite high locally. Pure scorer being added to a team that had that obvious need.

The closest I can think of would be Bryan Bickell and his health issues, but Pacioretty had a greater impact on the fan base for his short run.

The closest I can think of would be Bryan Bickell and his health issues, but Pacioretty had a greater impact on the fan base for his short run.
Yeah, the anticipation of getting Patches back was greater than what we expected from Bickell. He played 4th line minutes in the 7 games before his diagnosis and then was gone from the lineup until the last 4 games of the season.

LeBrun has a column after talking to Don Waddell. It doesn’t cover much, if any, new ground. The Canes won’t spend on rentals, etc.

“That’s very fair, yeah,” Waddell said. “We prefer to trade for players that have term. Our history has been that we haven’t been a team to look at upgrades through rental players.”

LeBrun thinks the Canes will be in on Bo Horvat and/or Timo Meier if, and it’s a big if, the Canucks and Sharks allow the agents to negotiate an extension as part of the deal. It makes sense for those teams too because an extended player will bring a higher return. Meier will be a RFA after the season and has a $10 million QO, so he’s not moving u less a new deal can be worked out. Horvat is a UFA coming off a 6 year deal at $5.5 million AAV. He also notes that before Patches went down, the priority was adding a dman.

LeBrun has a column after talking to Don Waddell. It doesn’t cover much, if any, new ground. The Canes won’t spend on rentals, etc.

“That’s very fair, yeah,” Waddell said. “We prefer to trade for players that have term. Our history has been that we haven’t been a team to look at upgrades through rental players.”

LeBrun thinks the Canes will be in on Bo Horvat and/or Timo Meier if, and it’s a big if, the Canucks and Sharks allow the agents to negotiate an extension as part of the deal. It makes sense for those teams too because an extended player will bring a higher return. Meier will be a RFA after the season and has a $10 million QO, so he’s not moving u less a new deal can be worked out. Horvat is a UFA coming off a 6 year deal at $5.5 million AAV. He also notes that before Patches went down, the priority was adding a dman.

So...if you could pick one forward and one dman to add to this team before the deadline who you got? Let's be realistic!!!

For me, on the backend it's Gavrikov from Columbus, a minute munching defenseman with some physicality that could be elevated to your top 4 if needed and up front it's Horvat if the Canes are allowed to work out an extension with him. Horvat is a perfect number two center that wins faceoffs, scores goals and is a power play guy that takes cares of several needs on the Canes wish list. If you can extend him for a fair contract I think the Canes prefer that kind of a trade over a rental.

I guess the Pacioretty debacle is an example of "you get what you pay for" - or - "if something seems too good to be true, it probably is". It's too bad the hockey gods had to intervene on this - on paper, Max P was such a great pickup for us.

Timo Meier would fit the need as well. A 'heavy' scoring winger that you could stick on Aho's line. I would rather have the center I guess in Horvat if the money is going to be similar, but I think Meier is the better goal scorer despite Horvat's UFA goal explosion.

There are plenty of Dmen out there that could improve our 3rd pair.

I guess the Pacioretty debacle is an example of "you get what you pay for" - or - "if something seems too good to be true, it probably is". It's too bad the hockey gods had to intervene on this - on paper, Max P was such a great pickup for us.
I don’t think that’s accurate. He has been injury prone yes. But the Achilles issue was new. It was a good pickup for the Canes with potential huge upside and little to no downside beyond they didn’t get someone else.

I don’t think that’s accurate. He has been injury prone yes. But the Achilles issue was new. It was a good pickup for the Canes with potential huge upside and little to no downside beyond they didn’t get someone else.
Don't get me wrong - I agree it was a great pickup and don't fault anyone in our organization for making it happen. It's just a bad break for him and for us - which reminded me of the old adages I mentioned above.

I expect we thought he'd miss some games I doubt we expected 2 injuries to almost give us Wisniewski part 2. (No not THAT bad.)

I feel like Meier fits Carolina's general profile more than Horvat, even considering how handy it would be to have another Top 6 center. The question would be the extension, and it doesn't sound like San Jose has released Meier's agent to negotiate with other teams just yet. He's not getting $10 million from Carolina or anybody else, so it's useless to throw that number around ... but the guy is a space eater who can bury the puck. That's absolutely what the Canes need ... not just now, but down the road. FWIW, I like Horvat better if it's a pure rental, at least in terms of fit. But I really don't see Dundon making that big a change of direction.

On D, Dundon has been more willing to make a situational rental on D. So that opens up guys like Gavrikov and Gostisbehere. Neither are perfect, but both are better PP options than what we've got. There might also be a few options if teams like the Isles and Panthers decide they're out of it. As dumb as it sounds, Forsling would be a good fit and the money would work. He could get off the top pairing and out of Maurice's terrible system. They could also look at a few older depth dudes like Kulikov in Anaheim. Not sure what good he's doing the Ducks and he could platoon with de Haan since they're basically the same player. Bottom line ... finding an LD to either supplant CDH or back him up shouldn't all that hard.

Chip says that Slavin isn’t at practice today. That probably means he’s not playing tomorrow, we’ll know more after RBA has his presser after practice.

Chip says that Slavin isn’t at practice today. That probably means he’s not playing tomorrow, we’ll know more after RBA has his presser after practice.
BTW ... it's one thing to power through one game without arguably your most important defender and quite another to have to figure out how to play that way for the long term. Here's hoping it's relatively minor.

RBA after practice on Slavin. He says “a little nicked up” so I hope That means it’s minor. Playing the Stars without him presents a different challenge than playing the Islanders. Then the Sharks come in on Friday but the Bruins are here on Sunday. We surely don’t want to face them without Slavin.

Rod Brind’Amour said:
"I'm not sure yet what his status is for tomorrow, but he didn't practice today, so it's doubtful. You just don't take chances this time of year with guys who are a little nicked up."

RBA after practice on Slavin. He says “a little nicked up” so I hope That means it’s minor. Playing the Stars without him presents a different challenge than playing the Islanders. Then the Sharks come in on Friday but the Bruins are here on Sunday. We surely don’t want to face them without Slavin.
I’d rest Slavin for the weekend if it means giving the man another few days to fully heal those nicks.

Back