• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Premier League Thread

I do not want to be in the conference league. I'm far too worried that Emery would take it seriously.
Agreed. Now, if they see it as a way to get some ramped up development out of their VERY expensive youth program then I'm in. If you're just gonna wear out the starting 11, then forget it.

Agreed. Now, if they see it as a way to get some ramped up development out of their VERY expensive youth program then I'm in. If you're just gonna wear out the starting 11, then forget it.
For the Conference League, I’d either send the U23s or whatever roster they’d field for the League Cup. Maybe some first line players for the home matches, but that’s it.

Brighton clinched their spot in the Europa League with a draw against Man City yesterday. Man U can clinch the last Champions League spot today with a point against Chelsea. That would leave Liverpool in the Europa League. The spot in the Conference League is still up for grabs with Villa holding a 1 point lead on Spurs.

I would love to drop to 8th, but Spurs are such shit and Brighton now have nothing to play for so its unlikely. I guess I just have to hope that Martin O'Neill stops by the club and convinces Emery to send the youth team.

I don't think Spurs particularly want to be in Conference League either. It's a negative incentive-off.

I don't think Spurs particularly want to be in Conference League either. It's a negative incentive-off.
Maybe? First year with a new coach and more game time gives him the opportunity to reinforce his systems across a bigger group of players, assuming he’s going to play at least some “squad“ players in European and League Cup competitions.

Maybe? First year with a new coach and more game time gives him the opportunity to reinforce his systems across a bigger group of players, assuming he’s going to play at least some “squad“ players in European and League Cup competitions.
Cool ... they can have that slot then, and let Villa grow their roster more deliberately.

I go on the Villa subreddit from time to time, especially on game day when I need an outlet to yell about my feelings on the match that isn't at my partner, who while supportive and pretending, absolutely does not, and should not care. They are all really excited and hopefully to get in the conference league and I'm just like, have you guys been paying attention to West Ham's season this year? We just aren't ready to play in two competitions and while I'm sure depth is a thing that's going to be addressed over the summer, we aren't going to go from not having enough depth to make it through an entire premier league season to having enough depth to compete in two different leagues. We also already have the highest wage bill of any of the non big six teams and I think people forget that FFP is still a thing and we've already used our sell our stadium to ourselves card to fix our FFP issues coming from the championship. We aren't Man City, if we break FFP rules, I don't think the FA will take nearly as long to punish us.

Luton wins the Championship playoff on penalties, 6-5. Each team made their first 5, Luton converted their 6th, Coventry missed.

Just spectacular. I guess their grounds doesn't currently meet the standards necessary for the premier league, so we're going to have to wait and see how that's worked out, but what's cooler than having the biggest league on earth have a tiny stadium that's completely built into the town.

Just spectacular. I guess their grounds doesn't currently meet the standards necessary for the premier league, so we're going to have to wait and see how that's worked out, but what's cooler than having the biggest league on earth have a tiny stadium that's completely built into the town.
They'll reportedly have to spend 10 million pounds to upgrade the main stand to meet requirements. Keep in mind that the club have completed final plans for a new facility relatively recently. Power Court Stadium, in its final form (23K seater) is bigger than what the club got approved several years ago but promotion will certainly help grease those skids a bit. Of course, it takes two years to build a facility so any use of Kenilworth can be glossed as short term ... which will hopefully nudge the EPL bosses to approve temporary use.

And Villa are back in Europe. I had a lot of conflicting emotions watching that match. My head knew it was better if we didn't finish seventh, but my heart wanted a Villa win and my anger wanted to know why Brighton were allowed to two hand shove any player they wanted without consequence and every foul we committed was a yellow card.

Everton survives, Leeds and Leicester go down. Leicester join Blackburn as the only Premier League champion to be relegated.

Sad to see Leicester go, happy to see Leeds go. I've always kind of liked Everton and it was between them and Villa when I was picking my team, but I kind of felt like both the owners and the fans showed ugly sides this year and deserved to go down.

Congrats to Everton for avoiding enough human misery to sink half a city ... for now. Please go do better, because the Prem needs them as an emotional ballast for Liverpool.

Sheffield Wednesday gets a goal at 120+3 against 10 man Barnsley to win promotion back to the Championship after 2 years in League 1.

All the playoffs are done, here is where the leagues stand.

Premier League - Leeds, Leicester, Southampton were relegated.
Championship - Burnley, Sheffield United and Luton were promoted to the Premier League. Reading, Blackpool and Wigan were relegated
League 1 - Plymouth, Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday were promoted to the Championship. MK Dons, Accrington, Morecambe and Forest Green were relegated.
League 2 - Leyton Orient, Stevenage, Northampton and Carlisle were promoted to League 1. Hartlepool United and Rochdale were relegated.
National League - Wrexham and Notts County were promoted to League 2.

Back