• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022 Free Agent Frenzy

Habsy

Yes, I'm kidding people.
Huberdeau, as previously noted, was an absolute Canes killer so seeing him one less time per season isn't a bad thing for the Canes. But Tkachuck stirring up crap 3 times vs. the Canes instead of 2 isn't a great tradeoff.

Coupling all these roster moves with Coach MO makes Florida quite a different team. Going to be interesting to see how the new look and coach impacts their play.
This is about Bobrovsky's contract too. The gift that keeps on giving.

polarbare

Obviously we would love to know what the Canes best offer was, but this is the new normal for this franchise. We are not shy about big moves.

I would have to guess the Canes would have had to part with Jarvis, Pesce and???? It would have been a scary type trade.
Jeremy Rutherford (Blues guy for The Athletic) said the deal included a 2023 1st and Necas as the core of the package it sounds like which would have been an amazing deal IMHO; I naturally assumed Jarvis would have been part of any package going back.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Jeremy Rutherford (Blues guy for The Athletic) said the deal included a 2023 1st and Necas as the core of the package it sounds like which would have been an amazing deal IMHO; I naturally assumed Jarvis would have been part of any package going back.
I honestly don't think they'd include Jarvis in a deal unless they had no choice and it was a truly path altering trade. They absolutely love that freaking kid. In recent memory, the only players the Canes have been this high on at the prospect level are Svech, Aho and Slavin.

polarbare

Yeah, I wouldn't do it if Jarvis was included; Rutherford didn't say much, but salary would have had to go back to Calgary to keep the Canes cap compliant too, not sure who that would have been but that's likely a pretty good player.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I wouldn't do it if Jarvis was included; Rutherford didn't say much, but salary would have had to go back to Calgary to keep the Canes cap compliant too, not sure who that would have been but that's likely a pretty good player.
Considering they got Weegar, I’d assume they asked for Pesce. From a money money perspective, Skjei makes the money work better than Pesce but then you’re looking at 2nd pair Gardiner.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
I mean, they wouldn't have needed much to be cap compliant. It's summer so that just means they stay under 110% of the cap until whenever the deadline is. The Canes could have added that $9.5 million contract and would have been fine to move $5.5 mil out later on. I think the hangup was probably more on who that third element would have been. Necas is nobody's idea of Huberdeau, regardless of the contract status ... so that third piece would have to have had to have been a top 4 D. And while Canes management is pretty ballsy, I'm not sure they're THAT ballsy. Are you gonna find somebody to fill Pesce or Slavin's role this late in the game?

Christer

Cool ... replace Pesce and Slavin with Turbo or Svech. It's painful any way you slice it.
Turbo would have been my choise to ad to Necas in that trade actually. That would basically mean that you swap Turbo for Tkachuk on the roster and that to me looks like a win even if you also have to give up prospects and picks.
The thing is that it probably still wouldn't have been enough to beat Floridas offer.

Last edited:

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Well, good luck to him. LaFontaine is such a weird story as a prospect. Tampa has to be creative with their prospect pool, so they routinely take on long shot projects, and I consider LaFontaine one of those. And look, he's probably got one or two more up-cycle seasons left in him. But this dude has always been a roller coaster and probably always will be.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Well, good luck to him. LaFontaine is such a weird story as a prospect. Tampa has to be creative with their prospect pool, so they routinely take on long shot projects, and I consider LaFontaine one of those. And look, he's probably got one or two more up-cycle seasons left in him. But this dude has always been a roller coaster and probably always will be.
Technically, he’s not really in their prospect pool, he’s on a AHL contract. So the Cruch would have to terminate that, making him a free agent, before Tampa could sign him.

cmaleski2

Tampa has 4 goalies under NHL contract. Vasi, Elliott and then:

Hugo Alnefelt who was a 3rd round pick in 2019. He is 21 years old. He played 23 games for the Crunch last season at 3.14 GAA and .882 Sv%. He also struggled in 2 games for ECHL Orlando and made one partial NHL appearance last year and ended up with a LaFontainesque 9.00 GAA and .700 Sv%

Maxime Legace is their organizational #3. He is 29 years old. He played 36 games for the Crunch last year and was 2.31 GAA and .910 Sv%. He also got lit up in 2 NHL appearances (6.11 GAA, .828)

Those 2 are Jack LaFontaine's competition in Syracuse. Tampa also had Amir Miftakov at Syracuse last season on an NHL entry level deal, but he went for 3.03 and .891 and they agreed to terminate his contract this past offseason.

Legace obviously has the #1 spot for Syracuse already but Alnefelt could be pushed by LaFontaine with the 'loser' ending up in the ECHL. LaFontaine might have a chance to play for Syracuse, his competition is pretty soft for the #2 goalie role there.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Technically, he’s not really in their prospect pool, he’s on a AHL contract. So the Cruch would have to terminate that, making him a free agent, before Tampa could sign him.
Even better for Tampa ... if he doesn;t work out he's not their problem. If he does, they'll figure it out. Brisebois always does

cmaleski2

Jesse Puljujarvi inks a 1 year $3 million RFA deal with Edmonton.

Hey Marty Necas, that is a called a bridge deal...

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Jesse Puljujarvi inks a 1 year $3 million RFA deal with Edmonton.

Hey Marty Necas, that is a called a bridge deal...
I'm a bit curious whether or not Necas will get his butt on his shoulders about being tied to the Tkachuk offer. Hopefully not, but he's been petulant about that kind of stuff in the past.

TheBigKahuna

I'm a bit curious whether or not Necas will get his butt on his shoulders about being tied to the Tkachuk offer. Hopefully not, but he's been petulant about that kind of stuff in the past.
I mean, it does show that someone may have wanted him.

But if he's expecting Svech money, he's a fool. We already have 2 overpaid "stars".