• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022 Summer Transfer Thread

Starting this up a little early because of the reports that Boubacar Kamara has agreed to sign with Aston Villa. Admittedly I've never seen him play, but when a hot young prospect at one of the positions your team desperately needs improvement at signs for your team, it's hard not to feel really good.

Brendan Aaronson is rumored to be headed to Leeds for $29.5 million. It’s a windfall for the Philadelphia Union, who had a sell-on fee in the contract when he went to Salzburg, it’s $5.3 million per Taylor Twellman.

Erling Haaland already signed for Man City for a €60 million fee.

Kylian Mbappe re-signed with PSG for 3 years and LaLiga will file a complaint with UEFA, the European Union and French administrative and fiscal authorities alleging violation of various fiscal and economic control policies enacted by each organization. Mbappe was rumored to be headed to Real Madrid before the shock re-signing.

Starting this up a little early because of the reports that Boubacar Kamara has agreed to sign with Aston Villa. Admittedly I've never seen him play, but when a hot young prospect at one of the positions your team desperately needs improvement at signs for your team, it's hard not to feel really good.
I've seen him play about 25 minutes in total, but yeah ... getting the defensive midfielder with the best disruption stats in League 1 when your midfield is made of wet Kleenex is massively good news. And at 22 years old, with three full seasons of top flight football under his belt, he's in the beginning of his prime. And on a free transfer? Come on.

Brendan Aaronson is rumored to be headed to Leeds for $29.5 million. It’s a windfall for the Philadelphia Union, who had a sell-on fee in the contract when he went to Salzburg, it’s $5.3 million per Taylor Twellman.
Aaronson moving to the Prem is really good for him and the USMNT. That guy has serious game and getting him actual minutes in a better league is exactly what he needs to continue to develop. And in Marsch he's got a manager that already believes in him. Love this news.

I've seen him play about 25 minutes in total, but yeah ... getting the defensive midfielder with the best disruption stats in League 1 when your midfield is made of wet Kleenex is massively good news. And at 22 years old, with three full seasons of top flight football under his belt, he's in the beginning of his prime. And on a free transfer? Come on.
I keep seeing speculation from Villa fans about potential strikers to bring in. Personally, with Gerrard clearly wanting to play a more possession based style, I would love to see some play with Coutinho as a false nine in front of Kamara, McGinn and Ramsey and would allow Buendia to move out to the wing where he's played before along with Watkins or even Bailey if he figures out how to play football again. Ings feels like the odd man out and probably serves as a lesson that it's not great to overpay for a striker on the tail end of his athletic prime. I really like that the moves so far under Stevie G all seem to be coherent with both style of play and ambition for the club. I'm not going to blame Dean Smith for a lack of cohesion in previous moves as I feel like Gerrard probably has more final influence in moves than Smith was allowed to have.

The thing that bothers me is that they've been talking about a THIRD striker. I'm good with keeping Ings to bring him off the bench, but I think I've seen enough with Watkins to know he's just not a good enough finisher to play the solo No. 9 at the level Villa want to play. Maybe he's a better wing, at the end of the day ... they certainly didn't get much out of the other wings this season. We'll see what turns up. Early on it looks like they're spending the money in the back, which is fine by me.

Aaronson to Leeds is complete.

Jesse Lindgard is out of contract and is rumored to be in talks with West Ham. He played 16 matches there last season after a January loan deal.

Mo Salah is staying in Liverpool. His contract expires next June.

Villa's early burst continues. They agreed a price for Brazilian defender Roberto Carlos from Seville today. Konsa was going to be out all summer with injury anyway, but his form was all over the place this season and they needed an upgrade. I'm hearing they aren't done adding CBs either.

It makes a lot of sense, Villa's defense was lacking a lot this season. The worrying rumor I keep seeing is about bringing in Luis Suarez. I just got the taste of John Terry out of my mouth, I'd prefer not to replace him with another racist piece of shit.

It makes a lot of sense, Villa's defense was lacking a lot this season. The worrying rumor I keep seeing is about bringing in Luis Suarez. I just got the taste of John Terry out of my mouth, I'd prefer not to replace him with another racist piece of shit.
Same, same. Suarez is older than dirt, but he can still score so he's going to remain employed ... but I would prefer it to be elsewhere.

David Ornstein says that Nottingham Forest keeper Brice Samba has told the club he won’t extend his contract and wants to leave. That’s a huge blow for them, he had 45 appearances across all competitions last season. His contract is up in 12 months and Forest just started working on it now, maybe waiting until they knew they were being promoted?

He might have been waiting to see about promotion AND whether or not they were sticking with Cooper as manager. The guy did yank Samba around this season, benching him for Horvath for at least two pretty good chunks of the season ... even though they were winning. Keepers don't tend to like that.

Celtic sign US International defender Cameron Carter-Vickers from Spurs. He spent last season at Celtic on loan. Since signing for Spurs in 2016, he only made 5 appearances for them, going on loan to Sheffield United, Ipswich, Swansea, Stoke, Luton and Bournemouth before landing in Scotland.

Celtic sign US International defender Cameron Carter-Vickers from Spurs. He spent last season at Celtic on loan. Since signing for Spurs in 2016, he only made 5 appearances for them, going on loan to Sheffield United, Ipswich, Swansea, Stoke, Luton and Bournemouth before landing in Scotland.
FWIW, there was some speculation that Celtic were going to pass on making that deal permanent despite CCV having been very, very good for them this past season. I'm glad for both parties to see that this got done.

FWIW, there was some speculation that Celtic were going to pass on making that deal permanent despite CCV having been very, very good for them this past season. I'm glad for both parties to see that this got done.
Yeah, he needs to get regular minutes. He wasn’t going to get it at Spurs, so better to go somewhere he was wanted.

Yeah, he needs to get regular minutes. He wasn’t going to get it at Spurs, so better to go somewhere he was wanted.
He's already a completely different player than he was a year ago. He's still a physical defender who's good in the air despite being kind of short, but he's worlds better with the ball at his feet. Practice, man ... practice.

Midfielder Aurelien Tchouameni from Monaco to Real Madrid for €80 million.

Forward Darwin Nunez from Benfica to Liverpool for €75 million with €25 million add-ons.

Defender Giorgio Chiellini from Juventus to LAFC on a free.

Back