• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022 Summer Transfer Thread

Steffen had basically a lost year last season with the injuries and lack of use really cutting into his value to club and country. So, yeah ... Boro is fine, I guess. I was hoping he'd get a better loan than a Championship gig, but honestly the Championship is probably on par overall with 90% of the Euro leagues. It's no worse than a loan to a French side who play against 3-4 quality opponents and a bunch of dreck. At Boro he'll get a steady stream of competent opposition even if he'll be missing the high end action.

Turner ... yeah. He's also a bit beat up at the moment, so shifting to training mode for a bit won't be bad for him in the short run. So long as he gets some live action between now and Qatar it should be fine for the US.

Richarlison from Everton to Spurs for up to £60 million. Watford get a nice fee too, with 10% of any fee over £40 million.

Richarlison from Everton to Spurs for up to £60 million. Watford get a nice fee too, with 10% of any fee over £40 million.
That gives Spurs a front three of Kane, Son and Richarlison. Not only is that a lot of firepower, it's three very distinctly different types of danger. Good move.

Crystal Palace sign keeper Sam Johnstone, whose contract at West Brom expired.

Matteo Guendouzi from Arsenal to Olympique Marseille, completing a loan to buy deal.

Jota from Benfica to Celtic on a permanent deal for about €8 million. He played there on loan last season.

American keeper Ethan Horvath from Nottingham Forest to Luton. Forest signed keeper Dean Henderson on loan from Man U. The loan deal supposedly carries an option to buy at the end of the season.

Last edited:
American keeper Ethan Horvath from Nottingham Forest to Luton. Forest signed keeper Dean Henderson on loan from Man U. The loan deal supposedly carries an option to buy at the end of the season.
I guess that's good for Horvath. At least he'll stay in the Championship, even though I suspect it might be a shooting gallery unless Luton are spending to upgrade that lineup. They've got a lot of "oh, that guy's still playing in England" kind of dudes on their roster.

I guess that's good for Horvath. At least he'll stay in the Championship, even though I suspect it might be a shooting gallery unless Luton are spending to upgrade that lineup. They've got a lot of "oh, that guy's still playing in England" kind of dudes on their roster.
So…Rio Ferdinand and John Terry at center back?

David Ornstein says that Christian Eriksen has verbally agreed to join Man U. Contract details and medical still need to be resolved.

David Ornstein says that Christian Eriksen has verbally agreed to join Man U. Contract details and medical still need to be resolved.
Man United really needed a W this off season, and I guess this counts. Eriksen is still very good and his chance creation for Brentford last season was off the charts. There's still the health risk, but whatever. The guy can play.

Tyler Adams is on the verge of joining former manager Jesse Marsch at Leeds in a £15 million deal. He’s the replacement for Kalvin Phillips, who signed with Man City.

Barcelona signed former Chelsea defender Andreas Christensen on a free.

Tyler Adams is on the verge of joining former manager Jesse Marsch at Leeds in a £15 million deal. He’s the replacement for Kalvin Phillips, who signed with Man City.

Barcelona signed former Chelsea defender Andreas Christensen on a free.
I'm a broken record on this, but so long as he plays this is fine. Adams spent last year in limbo coming off the bench in Leipzig, although based on the quality of his play in Europa League I have no idea what the problem was. They acquired another midfielder and that was supposed to push Adams even further down, but that guy (Schlager) is just a basic cog in the wheel kind of player. Maybe it's a size thing, or maybe it's an American thing ... but Adams needs to get the freak out of Leipzig ASAP ... so long as it's to a place where he will freaking play. In the midfield.

I'm a broken record on this, but so long as he plays this is fine. Adams spent last year in limbo coming off the bench in Leipzig, although based on the quality of his play in Europa League I have no idea what the problem was. They acquired another midfielder and that was supposed to push Adams even further down, but that guy (Schlager) is just a basic cog in the wheel kind of player. Maybe it's a size thing, or maybe it's an American thing ... but Adams needs to get the freak out of Leipzig ASAP ... so long as it's to a place where he will freaking play. In the midfield.
It’s all the Euro-based national team players. At least with Adams, he’ll be playing for a coach he had success with in the past, assuming the transfer goes through. But it’s Pulisic and McKennie and Weah and de la Fuente and Pefok too. And the situation could be dire in goal, with both Steffen and Turner as backups

It’s all the Euro-based national team players. At least with Adams, he’ll be playing for a coach he had success with in the past, assuming the transfer goes through. But it’s Pulisic and McKennie and Weah and de la Fuente and Pefok too. And the situation could be dire in goal, with both Steffen and Turner as backups
McKinnie has been a regular at Juve, aside from when he's been injured, so I'm not concerned about him at all. And I honestly don't care about the keepers that much. You get more work as a backup than people think, and Steffen's struggles have come because (shhhh) the guy isn't actually all that good and his physical conditioning kind of sucks. There's a reason it takes him forever to come back from basic injuries. I 100% don't get the fascination with that guy. I'd trust Sean Johnson in a big game before Steffen.

But Pulisic ... that matters. He's the US' best player and having him playing some kind of regular role somewhere is fairly crucial. Same with Adams. He's the keystone of that midfield and there's a huge drop off to Plan B.

FWIW, Leeds finalized the Adams move today, and also added Columbian winger Luis Sinisterra from Feyenoord .. pending final touches. Good business for them, adding quality in the midfield and up the middle. If they can figure out how to keep Rafinha, the the additions of Sinisterra and Brendan Aaronson gives them a real boost in attacking options. IMO Adams is about equal to Kalvin Phillips in the defensive part of that DMF job, but isn't as physical or as much of a minute eater ... but still, a quality replacement none the less.

FWIW, Leeds finalized the Adams move today, and also added Columbian winger Luis Sinisterra from Feyenoord .. pending final touches. Good business for them, adding quality in the midfield and up the middle. If they can figure out how to keep Rafinha, the the additions of Sinisterra and Brendan Aaronson gives them a real boost in attacking options. IMO Adams is about equal to Kalvin Phillips in the defensive part of that DMF job, but isn't as physical or as much of a minute eater ... but still, a quality replacement none the less.
ESPN says that Sinisterra is Raphinha’s replacement. Chelsea has already met Leeds’ fee but he doesn’t want to play there, he wants to go to Barcelona.

Atletico signed Belgian midfielder Axel Witsel on a free. He spent the last 4 years at BVB.

Steven Bergwijn is in Amsterdam for a medical ahead of his move from Spurs to Ajax

I get that Sinisterra is supposed to replace Raphinha, but it's looking like his move may be delayed and that he might end up sticking it out for a while. Sounds like he's going with them to Australia for the barnstorming trip.

Fulham have agreed personal terms with Arsenal keeper Bernd Leno and just need to negotiate a fee. Arsenal are believed to be seeking £10 -11 million. That’s about half of what Arsenal paid to sign him from Leverkusen in 2018.

Back