• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024-2025 Cup thread (Carabao, F.A.)

Ed H in Pasadena

Carabao Cup holders Liverpool will begin the defence of their crown at home to West Ham in the third round as a seeding system was introduced in the competition for the first time. The six English sides taking part in the Champions League and Europa League were all seeded in the draw, meaning they would not have to face each other at this stage.

The changes to this year's third-round draw were brought in following the expansion of the Champions League and Europa League, which will see clubs play a minimum of two extra matches.

Ties will take place in the weeks commencing 16 and 23 September, with Champions League and Europa League fixtures also scheduled during this period.

Carabao Cup third-round ties

Liverpool v West Ham
Manchester City v Watford
Arsenal v Bolton
Manchester United v Barnsley
Wycombe v Aston Villa
Coventry v Tottenham
Walsall v Leicester
Brentford v Leyton Orient
Blackpool v Sheffield Wednesday
Preston v Fulham
Everton v Southampton
QPR v Crystal Palace
Stoke v Fleetwood
Brighton v Wolves
AFC Wimbledon v Newcastle
Chelsea v Barrow

Last edited:
Can I say how delighted I was to see one of my favorite non-LFC players, Emi Buendia, score his first goal since his return from that awful knee injury. And on a header, no less. 👏👏👏👏👏

Can I say how delighted I was to see one of my favorite non-LFC players, Emi Buendia, score his first goal since his return from that awful knee injury. And on a header, no less. 👏👏👏👏👏
You and me both. Probably my favorite Villan. He also scores a shocking number of headers despite having both my height and my jumping ability. He's just really good at finding space.

Emery finally did some squad rotation, but Onana still started his forth game in ten days and looked it as well. It feels bad to criticize a man who is clearly the best manager Villa has ever had, but squad rotation is pretty clearly his blindspot.

Today’s results

Arsenal 5-1 Bolton
Liverpool 5-1 West Ham

Arsenal gave a few academy products their senior debuts, including 16 year old keeper Jack Porter. Ethan Nwaneri had a brace in a MOM performance. The Hammers not only lost the match, they lost Edson Alvarez to a red card, so he’ll miss Saturday’s match at Brentford. Mo Salah sandwiched a goal between a Diogo Jota brace and Cody Gakpo brace, in the 90th and 93rd minutes.

You and me both. Probably my favorite Villan. He also scores a shocking number of headers despite having both my height and my jumping ability. He's just really good at finding space.

Emery finally did some squad rotation, but Onana still started his forth game in ten days and looked it as well. It feels bad to criticize a man who is clearly the best manager Villa has ever had, but squad rotation is pretty clearly his blindspot.
Not a lot of options in midfield right now, especially in that hinge role

For some reason, Emery wants to win those games even if we don't care. They DID play a fair number of academy guys either way but not a lot of their kids fit that hybrid MF role, either honestly. It's a bit of an organizational soft spot right now.

Today’s results

Arsenal 5-1 Bolton
Liverpool 5-1 West Ham

Arsenal gave a few academy products their senior debuts, including 16 year old keeper Jack Porter. Ethan Nwaneri had a brace in a MOM performance. The Hammers not only lost the match, they lost Edson Alvarez to a red card, so he’ll miss Saturday’s match at Brentford. Mo Salah sandwiched a goal between a Diogo Jota brace and Cody Gakpo brace, in the 90th and 93rd minutes.
That 5-1 score line flattered us. 1-1 at the half, scored early in the second, but the Hammers kept coming and only a couple of nice stops by Caoimhín Kelleher kept the score line 2-1. When Mo scored with about 15 minutes left, we finally had a chance to breathe. And really made up for Cody, who scored his brace in just three minutes. The second was classic Cody (even with the deflection): winning the ball with his strength, turning defenders and firing off a hard shot that got past Fabianski. So nice to have him as an option off the bench. With Chiesa playing well as he rounds into form, the depth of our attack is going to cause so many problems for teams this season.

Back