• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024-25 Hurricanes Prospects and Minors Thread

More reinforcements for the Wolves. They signed forwards Dominic Franco and Sahil Panwar to AHL contracts and Danny Katic to a AHL/ECHL contract. Franco played 56 games for the Wolves last year with 4 goals and 8 assists. Panwar spent most of the season with ECHL Cincinnati and had 22 goals, 32 assists in 64 games. Katic spent the last 2 seasons in ECHL Norfolk and had 24 goals, 26 assists in 60 games last season.

Katic has one of the great hometown names. He’s from South Porcupine, Ontario.

The Wolves signed dman Bryce Montgomery to a AHL/ECHL contract. He played 42 games for ECHL South Carolina last season with 4 goals, 8 assists. He was originally drafted by the Canes in the 2021 6th round after seeing him at an OHL prospects camp, since his draft year was wiped out by Covid.

Yeah, Vondras was pretty pedestrian in Sudbury so I'm hoping that he can get back on track in the Czech B league

Griffin Mendel, who wasn’t qualified by the Canes, signed with Rytiri Kladno in the Czech League. They finished DFL last season despite former NHLers Michael Frolik, Tomas Plekanec and some guy named Jagr.

Goalie Patrick Hamrla remains the only player I have on the prospect list that remains without an announced club for 24-25.

I'm still a bit skeptical that Ruslan Khazheyev actually ends up playing in Chicago for the full season. That seems like a lot to ask of a 19 year old 5th round pick coming over from Russia. Kochetkov was 22 when he came over and had played in 49 KHL games. Khazheyev has only played 1 game above Russian juniors, and it was in the VHL.

I would rather Khazheyev be in the AHL then struggling to find starts in Russia, but I don't expect the organization is going to keep him in North America very long if he struggles (which is ok). We will see....

Goalie Patrick Hamrla remains the only player I have on the prospect list that remains without an announced club for 24-25.

I'm still a bit skeptical that Ruslan Khazheyev actually ends up playing in Chicago for the full season. That seems like a lot to ask of a 19 year old 5th round pick coming over from Russia. Kochetkov was 22 when he came over and had played in 49 KHL games. Khazheyev has only played 1 game above Russian juniors, and it was in the VHL.

I would rather Khazheyev be in the AHL then struggling to find starts in Russia, but I don't expect the organization is going to keep him in North America very long if he struggles (which is ok). We will see....
And I’m guessing that he was never drafted in the OHL Import Draft, so sending him there is not an option. Maybe he ends up in Bloomington and Yorke signs another goalie for Chicago?

Khazheyev's resume screams ECHL, frankly. They may want to wait and see what happens when they try to waive Martin to assign him to Chicago before they settle on a platoon there. If Martin gets claimed, it would change the whole scenario.

So Skyler Brind’Amour is back, even though he’s under contract with the Checkers. I guess after the Canes release him from his PTO, he’ll go back. Because 3 goals, 5 assists in 54 games doesn’t warrant a 2 way NHL contract.

It is kind of funny that Skyler is skating around and playing with our prospect in this showcase even though he is already signed with an AHL team not affiliated with the Canes.

It's a good thing Skyler signed a 2 year AHL contract with Charlotte because that first season was bad enough to not get him another North American pro contract. In addition to those very pedestrian point totals, Skyler also managed to go -16 which stuck out badly on the Checkers. If this season is anything like last season, then for 25-26, Skyler might need to go to Europe and play in 2nd tier pro leagues there if he wants to be paid to play hockey again.

Yeah ... apparently young Brind'Amour didn't get a PTO offer from Florida so this gives him a chance to grind it out with some better players before Checkers camp. And yeah, I could see him ending up in a 2nd tier Euro league after this season if not sooner ... or being loaned down to and ECHL club.

In game 2 of the Prospects Tournamant, the Baby Canes go from 2-0 down to a 7-3 win. Canes scored 6 in the 3rd and Gleb Trikozov had a 3rd period hattie in a little over 6 minutes. Morrow had a goal and 2 assists, Blake, Gunler and FUS each had 2 assists.

Back