• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2023 Edition

Also, a note on Cox---the last time I remember him popping out of the woodwork to trash the team, it was after the 2015 draft. Cox had spent a week or two before the draft hyping the idea that the Leafs would draft Ivan Provorov with their 4th overall pick.

When they picked Marner instead, Cox pitched a hissy fit and published an article entitled "Leafs keep coming up short on draft weekend".

A few choice excerpts from that piece:

Not so long ago, the Maple Leafs wanted to use their fists to lift the franchise back to contention.

They got big, and wanted to be bigger. And truculent. Led the league in fighting.

Oh my, how things have changed.

This weekend’s NHL draft illustrated how differently the organization is thinking under the leadership of Brendan Shanahan, Mark Hunter and Kyle Dubas than it did when Brian Burke and Dave Nonis were in charge.

The Leafs started the draft by going small with London Knights forward Mitch Marner at No. 4 overall, a marvellously skilled youngster who desperately wanted to play for his hometown Leafs. NHL Central Scouting lists him at five-foot-11 and 160 pounds, and that bureau’s boss, Danny Marr, is a stickler for accuracy on such things.

That said, Marner said himself at the end of OHL playoffs he was more like 150 pounds. The Leafs hope he will be Patrick Kane and he might be. Lean and light and shifty.

When you combine the selections of Marner and Bracco, highly skilled players who won’t be punching anybody in the face anytime soon, it’s symbolic of the type of thinking that’s suddenly popular in the Leaf front office.

Compare that to the L.A. Kings, a team with two recent sets of Stanley Cup rings, who added yet more heft in winger Milan Lucic from Boston, then picked four prospects who measured 6-4, 6-4, 6-1 and 6-6.

Six of the Leafs’ nine picks, meanwhile, were under six feet. After Marner and Bracco, they added flashy Dmytro Timashov from the Quebec Remparts, who might be even smaller than Bracco.

These, Toronto’s and L.A.’s, are very different approaches.

Right now, we just don’t know exactly where being different will take the Leafs, a team that was the only one at the draft that didn’t have a general manager. Dubas was the point man for trades, and the Leafs made a few, including one to acquire defenceman Martin Marincin from Edmonton, while Hunter made the calls on the draft picks.

It is noteworthy that Marner plays for the Knights, partly owned by Hunter. A cynic might raise a Spockian eyebrow at that potential conflict, which only adds another layer of pressure on Marner to be the star player the Leafs need him to be. The club hasn’t drafted one in a long, long time, not surprising for a team that drafted Luke Richardson ahead of Joe Sakic in 1987. The two best Leaf picks since, Alex Steen and Tuukka Rask, were traded away and turned into top-flight NHLers for other teams, so the need for Marner to be an elite NHL scorer for the Leafs is substantial.

If it doesn’t work, you’ll hear rumbles that Hunter was blinded by his London connections. That just makes it more complicated, just as it always seems a little more complicated in Toronto compared to other places.

Edmonton, meanwhile, moved forward smartly with the drafting of Connor McDavid and the acquisition of defencemen Griffin Reinhart and Eric Gryba, and GM Peter Chiarelli got a new goalie in ex-Ranger Cam Talbot for a reasonable price.

And the Leafs? What are their intentions? Well, they’re still clearing payroll, or trying to, and establishing new priorities. The “pain” that Mike Babcock talked about when he was hired is going to be real, and we’re only just starting to see the faint outlines of what this team intends to be three or four years down the road.

Problem is, as the extraordinarily fast shift from muscle to finesse over the past two years demonstrates, change happens quickly with the Leafs, but then is often superseded by more change very soon after.

Sticking to the plan is always the challenge. When you add Marner and Bracco and Timashov to the drafting of five-foot-11 Swedish forward William Nylander eighth overall last year and the presence of five-foot-11 forward Connor Brown as the top prospect on the AHL Marlies, there is clearly a directive in play here.

Six-footers need not apply (just kidding).

But will it last? You have to ask that before you can even ask whether it will work.

"When you combine the selections of Marner and Bracco, highly skilled players who won’t be punching anybody in the face anytime soon, it’s symbolic of the type of thinking that’s suddenly popular in the Leaf front office.

Compare that to the L.A. Kings, a team with two recent sets of Stanley Cup rings, who added yet more heft in winger Milan Lucic from Boston, then picked four prospects who measured 6-4, 6-4, 6-1 and 6-6."

What a strange team to compare us to.

Round 1 Marner
Round 2 Dermott
Round 2 Bracco
Round 3 Nielsen
Round 3 Dzierkals
Round 4 Lindgren
Round 5 Timashov
Round 6 Desrocher
Round 7 Korostelev

Round 2 Cernak
Round 3 Dergachyov
Round 4 Wagner
Round 5 Schmalz
Round 7 Reddekopp
Round 7 Roy

Yeahhhhhh hit and miss after the top two but I'll take our draft, thanks.

Cox is a MASSIVE Babcock apologist. He was knocking people on twitter after game 7 for talking about Matthews' usage. Evetything is the GMs fault. The coach is great!

Kind of happy for the Oilers 5-0 start after their miserable last couple years. I’m also a pretty big McDavid fan (just look at my avatar) so I’m happy for him too.

And James the real deal Neal so far looks like a steal!

Far from an expert on the matter but 50% of your goals and points coming from 3 guys (one riding a 37sh%) and .910 goaltending is not a recipe for long term success

Unless they can find a way for McDavid and Draisital to play 55 mins a game

Far from an expert on the matter but 50% of your goals and points coming from 3 guys (one riding a 37sh%) and .910 goaltending is not a recipe for long term success

Unless they can find a way for McDavid and Draisital to play 55 mins a game

They could make the playoffs if those two stay healthy.

Maybe a WC, but it'll be tough for the Oilers. There's just no depth there and although they have 2 superstars, both are relied on and playing too much.

They've taken it down, so I can't link, but National Post just had a story about Donald Brashear working at a Tim Horton's except they got the wrong black guy. They put a picture of Georges Laroque instead.
If you attempt to job shame don't get your black guys mixed-up.

They've taken it down, so I can't link, but National Post just had a story about Donald Brashear working at a Tim Horton's except they got the wrong black guy. They put a picture of Georges Laroque instead.
If you attempt to job shame don't get your black guys mixed-up.
And also maybe just stop job-shaming people in general. It's BS.

Pretty darn good.

Lots of this year's class showing well in the NCAA. Turcotte having a strong showing too.

Pretty darn good.

Lots of this year's class showing well in the NCAA. Turcotte having a strong showing too.

Turcotte and Caufield playing together are killing it through 3 games. Obviously this pace is not sustainable... but to be doing this as freshmen is pretty insane. Caufield with 6g 7p and Turcotte 2g 7p.

Again, it's only 3 games but Caufield is leading the NCAA in goals and I am actually starting to believe that he can finish as the goal leader. His wrist shot is legitimately all world.

Back