• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2023 Edition

9 mil on anderson and edmunson isnt exactly efficient use of cap space though. Those 2 vs hall and bogosian (or another $1MM defender) which would you prefer?

The habs are better than before but they could have used the money better IMO
A. You are assuming that we could have signed Hall
2. You assume we had other, better options
D. I acknowledged that I am not necessarily happy with any of the moves outside of Toffoli, but I'm happy the at least attempt to either go for it or go full rebuild

Do I believe this is a legitimate run for the Cup? No. Do I believe that this is better than sitting around with 8m in cap space. Yes.

Agree with all but don't see the dramatic improvement.
You don't think that this is a significant upgrade? I'm not talking contracts or how long someone is going to be effective. I'm just talking, this year, is this a significant upgrade.

In
Tyler Toffoli
Josh Anderson
Joel Edmundson
Alex Romanov
Jake Allen

Out
Max Domi
Dale Weise
Karl Alzner
Christian Folin
Keith Kinkaid

The only improvements that I see are Toffoli in and Romanov potentially being good.

I don't see Anderson being better than Domi, and then rest of those names don't matter or aren't even relevant (not like Alzner actually played for you).

So do Toffoli and Romanov make up for a potential Anderson downgrade? I'd assume so. But enough to make a big difference over last year? I doubt it.

Right, Allen isn't a huge improvement over Kinkaid or Niemi. That's probably the greatest and most potentially impactful move of the bunch. Last season goalies not names Price won 3 games. 3 effing games. had they won 7-8? Playoffs.

I keep forgetting your hate of the crease.

You don't think that this is a significant upgrade? I'm not talking contracts or how long someone is going to be effective. I'm just talking, this year, is this a significant upgrade.

In
Tyler Toffoli
Josh Anderson
Joel Edmundson
Alex Romanov
Jake Allen

Out
Max Domi
Dale Weise
Karl Alzner
Christian Folin
Keith Kinkaid

TBH, "dramatic improvement" and "significant upgrade" both seem like hyperbole to me.

Toffoli & Allen are the clearest upgrades for me. Toffoli's got a pretty consistent track record and it'd be surprise if he isn't a good top-6 forward for you. Likewise, it'd be very surprising if Allen isn't a big upgrade over the dumpster-fire backup goaltending you got last year.

Anderson and Romanov are both question marks.

Anderson because he's 26 years old and has cracked the 20-goal and 40-point marks once in his career, and it now seems to be the expectation that he's going to consistently reproduce or improve on that career high going forward. And will he be healthy? Will he stay healthy? What will he look like after sitting out most of a season (plus an extended off-season) with an injury?

Romanov because he's a 20 year-old kid who's never set foot on North American ice. Doesn't mean he's not a good prospect, and doesn't mean he might not be able to step in and be a good NHL player right away, but the odds are against him.

As for Edmundson...he's a #6/7 caliber defenseman, and it looks like Montreal's planning to play him in their top-4.

All that said, if there is a "Canadian division" next season, I'd bet on Montreal finishing ahead of Ottawa, Winnipeg, Calgary & Edmonton, which I'd imagine would give them a good shot at getting back to the playoffs.

Habs were 4-6-3 (70pt pace) with backups in net.With Price, 27-25-6, an 85pt pace.

For comparison, leafs went 29-13-7 (109pts) with Freddy in net, 3-2-1 (96pts) with Campbell in net, and 4-10-1 (49pts) with Hutch/Kaskisuo in net.

Well I believe the working theory here is spelling Price more will increase his win total plus the added win total of a better (hopefully) backup. It's a gamble sure but it appears to be their thinking.

Habs improvement is largely predicated on Suzuki and KK sustaining their bubble performance for an entire season
Yup.

And Allen. Can't stress it enough. If he comes in and is Kinkaid bad? Won't matter what the youngins do.

Habs improvement is largely predicated on Suzuki and KK sustaining their bubble performance for an entire season

No doubt. And I like both of those guys (moreso Suzuki) as prospects.

Definitely possible they take a real step forward, and that could be the biggest driver of Montreal's improvement.

All that said, if there is a "Canadian division" next season, I'd bet on Montreal finishing ahead of Ottawa, Winnipeg, Calgary & Edmonton, which I'd imagine would give them a good shot at getting back to the playoffs.
I don't think there will be a Canadian division for the whole year.

If there was I think the Habs finish ahead of Vancouver as well. Possibly even the Leafs. Yeah I know, blasphemy.

Okay okay. I complimented the habs for being decent but now these habs fans are taking it to another level. Take it down a notch or two.

A. You are assuming that we could have signed Hall
2. You assume we had other, better options
D. I acknowledged that I am not necessarily happy with any of the moves outside of Toffoli, but I'm happy the at least attempt to either go for it or go full rebuild

Do I believe this is a legitimate run for the Cup? No. Do I believe that this is better than sitting around with 8m in cap space. Yes.

Youre the second habs fan who has implied you couldnt convince a player to play in montreal over buffalo.... fucking buffalo. How little do people think about montreal that they cant beat the armpit of america.

Youre the second habs fan who has implied you couldnt convince a player to play in montreal over buffalo.... fucking buffalo. How little do people think about montreal that they cant beat the armpit of america.
1) He lives in Toronto, Barfalo is much closer.
2) Less taxes
3) Only $8M offer.

He was going to Buffalo. He'll try again next year for somewhere better.

1) He lives in Toronto, Barfalo is much closer.
2) Less taxes
3) Only $8M offer.

He was going to Buffalo. He'll try again next year for somewhere better.
1. He cant cross the boarder to see friends or family
2. Accountants can make that much less impactful
3. Habs could have paid him 8

Back