• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2023 Edition

sure

which is why i mentioned i gamble - no doubt laf is the safe bet

besides I do not always do a 1 for 3 or 5 deal

but in the last few years i probably would have
and this year i would again

to me i would rather chance it with Perfitti and Stuzle (or Byfield)

I think Mindz's point was that when the #1 ranked prospect is over 2.0 ppg in the draft year history has shown that taking that player is the smarter move. Again, you can't ignore that 2.15.

yeah, Lafreniere is legit elite. IMO Byfield too. Some years that deal makes sense, but this is one of those years you don't move #1, even though he's not McDavid/Matthews.

You do it when there is no clear #1 like RNH, Hischier, Johnson, Fleury, Nash years. Of the clear cut #1 picks over the last 10-15 years, Yakupov has been the only one that didn't turn into a legit star player.

Its way harder to make the perfect #3/5 picks than it is to not fuck up #1 in a year with a Lafreniere.

I think Mindz's point was that when the #1 ranked prospect is over 2.0 ppg in the draft year history has shown that taking that player is the smarter move. Again, you can't ignore that 2.15.

oh i get it

i have concerns that he is the oldest prospect in the draft

byfield is like 10 months younger than him

oh i get it

Give it 5 years , I dont think he will be the best player in this draft

He is lucky he isnt going to a bad team unless he lands with us :D

Yeah, but you can't ignore that at 16 he scored 1.3 ppg and at 17 he scored 1.7. At 16 he would have been arguably the best player in this draft.

Its not like he just broke out at 18 like Rossi. He's been a dominant, elite prospect that has performed at an elite level for years.

Those are the can't miss guys.

to summarize

- habs needs a lot of pieces
- gamlbing - i am willing to try to get 2 A pieces instead of just 1
- laf IMO is not head and shoulders above others in the top 5 (just from what I have read)
- laf will not suck - and he will most likely be the best player next year - but i am thinking 3-4 years out who will be the best player
- yes it wont happen - something something french
- if laf was younger and a centre i would not do it

note: it is fun to talk hockey haha go covid

I agree that "late" birthdays have to factor into consideration, but it often gets overrated at the top of the draft. You could have said the same thnig about Laine > Matthews, Duchene > Tavares, Turis > Kane, Seguin > Hall. The younger player doesn't always have more potential. Some elite players are just born late in the year. Those guys would have been top picks the year before too. Lafreniere fits in that mold. The absolute lowest he goes last year is #3 and he would have been in the mix at 1

Marco Rossi was a CHL import who had a good first year getting used to a new country

He dominated last year in the best league in the world

My point is the gap between AL and other top prospects isnt that big IMO

Yeah, but you can't ignore that at 16 he scored 1.3 ppg and at 17 he scored 1.7. At 16 he would have been arguably the best player in this draft.

Its not like he just broke out at 18 like Rossi. He's been a dominant, elite prospect that has performed at an elite level for years.

Those are the can't miss guys.

i am not saying he will bust

Lafreniere was the first 16-year-old since Sidney Crosby to score 40 goals in the QMJHL (Crosby scored 54 goals and 135 points) and was a top player in the QMJHL almost from the second he got to the league. He was the MVP of the QMJHL and CHL in 2018-19, which he will likely repeat when those awards are announced again.

I wouldn’t call his statistical production otherworldly. It’s the track record of a projected NHL star, but not one of a projected top 5-10 player in the league. Comparatively, he’s somewhere in between Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Huberdeau by their box car numbers – worse places to be.

NHL scouts have become increasingly tough on interpreting QMJHL production, particularly in relation to the OHL and WHL. I think the QMJHL is a very good league, but it’s fair to say, compared to the OHL, you need to make a mild adjustment.

Marco Rossi was a CHL import who had a good first year getting used to a new country

He dominated last year in the best league in the world

My point is the gap between AL and other top prospects isnt that big IMO

fuck

if i agree with you i am probably wrong
:p

to summarize

- laf IMO is not head and shoulders above others in the top 5 (just from what I have read)
- laf will not suck - and he will most likely be the best player next year - but i am thinking 3-4 years out who will be the best player

Good post , time will tell how this plays out

Habs need multiple pieces , all political media BS aside , I would move AL for 3,5 + in a heartbeat

I will take my odds that any 2 of the top 5 studs brings more hockey value than 1 LAF

oh i get it

Or you could look at it like he continued to improve greatly during that year. The concern should come from his regressing, not increasing from 1.72 ppg to 2.15 ppg.

to summarize

1) Yes the Habs need several pieces
2) Are you really willing to gamble with Timmins/MB record in the first round? Like L101 said, hard to fuck up a pick when Lafreniere is the #1. Nobody would blame any team for selecting him.
3) Perhaps he isn't head and shoulders ahead but Byfield could also regress, he's not as sure a thing but might have a bit higher ceiling. It is a bigger gamble than Lafreniere IMO.
4) Askarov may end up being the best player, or Rossi for that matter (but he kinda came out of nowhere)
5) Correct. French elite player in Montreal? They simply can't pass on him for the politics.
6) Why wouldn't you do it if he was younger?

2) Are you really willing to gamble with Timmins/MB record in the first round? Like L101 said, hard to **** up a pick when Lafreniere is the #1. Nobody would blame any team for selecting him.
3) Perhaps he isn't head and shoulders ahead but Byfield could also regress, he's not as sure a thing but might have a bit higher ceiling. It is a bigger gamble than Lafreniere IMO.
4) Askarov may end up being the best player, or Rossi for that matter (but he kinda came out of nowhere)
5) Correct. French elite player in Montreal? They simply can't pass on him for the politics.

I dont think TT could fukc up 3 and 5 :unsure:

2) Are you really willing to gamble with Timmins/MB record in the first round? Like L101 said, hard to **** up a pick when Lafreniere is the #1. Nobody would blame any team for selecting him.

2. yes - i am good with their first rounders lately - serg, caufield, kk
3. i am fine with a gamble - (if it back fires they clean house - win win? )
4. rossi did not come out of nowhere - was great last year as well (but also old)
6. i would not do the trade if he was younger and a centre - ie: i would keep laf

Back