• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2023 Edition

Aside from a decline in his play, I would question his desire to win. OEL looked to me like a talented guy happy to keep on losing and making his money.

Hmm I always remember him as a good skater.

But that sure would explain his Phaneuf-like early decline.

It’s the same issue he identified with Jones and Subban. It’s his edges skating backwards not speed. If you check out the article there are really good clips comparing it to how Spurgeon defends the rush with his lateral skating ability, and how Jones (and OEL in that clip) get walked because they can’t match speed skating backwards and have to pivot to skating forward.

Hans a little full of shit here. But - he’s definitely not aging well and seems to shy away from context. Reminds me a bit of kabs in his 30s

It’s the same issue he identified with Jones and Subban. It’s his edges skating backwards not speed. If you check out the article there are really good clips comparing it to how Spurgeon defends the rush with his lateral skating ability, and how Jones (and OEL in that clip) get walked because they can’t match speed skating backwards and have to pivot to skating forward.

The clips a bit selective because 1) the only one on one play was vs McKinnon with a full head of steam and 2) most other plays he pivoted intentionally and early - not because he couldn’t keep up - and broke up the play.

But definitely doesn’t use his body at all which might be why he instinctively Pivots.

Yeah, I watched it as a Nathan McKinnon highlight reel. Man, he’s good!

i'm also not totally convinced by that spurgeon clip.

it looks like he's drawing some conclusions based on situation + system.

i like han a lot and think he brings some interesting perspectives... obviously a student of the game, and i like that he's trying to give some objectivity to the eye test, but he's coming up short on this one.

as for OEL, i think he'd be a really good fit on edmonton. i'm not sure waht to make of his declining advance #s, but he can definitely get the puck up ice effectively and is a weapon on the pp, which are two things that oilchange has been sorely lacking since the year they had pronger.

i like han a lot and think he brings some interesting perspectives... obviously a student of the game, and i like that he's trying to give some objectivity to the eye test, but he's coming up short on this one.

as for OEL, i think he'd be a really good fit on edmonton. i'm not sure waht to make of his declining advance #s, but he can definitely get the puck up ice effectively and is a weapon on the pp, which are two things that oilchange has been sorely lacking since the year they had pronger.

I actually don't like Han I think he's a bit of a weirdo but I do think the videos clearly showed a real thing even if they might be exaggerated examples.

It was just an interesting take, as no one else has really been able to describe why OEL sucks now. Keep in mind he was the Leafs video coach, so I imagine he has watched a ton of video on all these guys, not a few clips of one game.

Phaneuf faced a similar problem. When he lost a step, he just could keep up defensively because his edges weren't good to begin with and he couldn't keep gap control. Meanwhile a guy like Spurgeon can just always play aggressively on his man because of his elite edges. He's so quick at changing directions.

I think its also a "hockey IQ" issue, because Spurgeon is just better positionally, and doesn't chase the play like guys like Jones do. Other guys who don't have the quickness changing directions, like Weber, are still able to defend. Its more likely, that he was never a smart defender to begin with and then lost a step.

OEL would probably be much better against softer comp.

Back