• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2023 Edition

This is literally the last thing I'd expect but it'd be pretty fantastic if another high profile organization came to the plate and issued a statement of support for the Rangers here. Like maybe even one with a lot of skill players and the former DoPS guy as their Prez.
The Habs should but Molson is a pussy. Parros screwed them twice already this year alone.

I would think Edmonton, Toronto, Colorado Tampa, and Carolina would want to lend the support strictly because of who their stars are, and possibly and direct rival of the Caps with a Star, but err uh, Burkie...

I would think Edmonton, Toronto, Colorado Tampa, and Carolina would want to lend the support strictly because of who their stars are, and possibly and direct rival of the Caps with a Star, but err uh, Burkie...

I'm sure if other teams started issuing statements of support for the Rangers, the Penguins would put out a public statement of support for Parros.

Seeing a lot of people defending Wilson with "every team would love to have Tom Wilson on their team" which oddly enough has a bit of "all lives matter" to it in terms of how fucking badly it intentionally misses the point.

It's almost like it's the exact same group of people...

Seeing a lot of people defending Wilson with "every team would love to have Tom Wilson on their team" which oddly enough has a bit of "all lives matter" to it in terms of how fucking badly it intentionally misses the point.
I can say with absolute confidence i do not want to cheer for a Tom Wilson

Small group of GMs unhappy with Shanahan: Hotstove | CBC Sports

While NHL vice-president of player safety Brendan Shanahan has handed out stiffer suspensions in an effort to curb headshots, a small group of general managers are not pleased with the length of the banishments, according to Hockey Night in Canada’s Hotstove panelist Eric Francis.

Shanahan, who was given a mandate to deliver stiffer penalties for those players targeting the head, has dished out 31 games in suspensions, totalling $701,682.56 US in salary.

"I spoke to almost a third of the general managers today and I was a little bit surprised to find out that there is a group of them that has gone to [NHL commissioner] Gary Bettman and [deputy commissioner] Bill Daly and made it very clear that they are very unhappy with the way that Brendan Shanahan has handled [the length] of the suspensions," Francis said.

"The [suspensions] are pretty harsh and a lot of people agree with that — fans and media are definitely on board — but there’s a group of GMs that have gone and complained. They wanted the bar set high — they made that clear in their agenda in the summer. However, they didn’t want it 'doubled and tripled' in the words of one general manager who really teed off on Brendan today."

-----------

Bet we can guess some of the names in that small group of GMs.

2013: Brayden Schenn (no suspension)
2015: Visnovsky (no punishment, Visnovsky out of the series)
2015: Curtis Lazar (match penalty rescinded)
2015: Brian Campbell (match penalty rescinded)
2016: Conor Sheary (fine)
Sept 2017: Robert Thomas (two preseason games)
Oct 2017 Sammy Blais (four regular season games)
2018 Playoffs: Alexander Wennberg (no hearing, Wennberg out of the game)
2018 Playoffs: Brian Dumoulin (no suspension, "contact to the head unavoidable")
2018 Playoffs: Zach Aston-Reese (three playoff games)
2018 Playoffs: Jonathan Marchessault (no suspension)
2018-2019 Preseason: Oskar Sundqvist (20 game suspension, appealed to 14 games)
March 2021: Brandon Carlo (7 regular season games)
May 2021: Buchnevich ($5,000 fine)

NHL:

susan_collins_disappointed.jpg

Gross, absolutely gross.

It's amazing to me that the NHL thinks this Tom Wilson "physical brand" attracts fans. To be frank, it makes me want to abandon the sport and i suspect it's a major deterrent in acquiring new fans to the sport.

Imagine trying to explain to someone just getting into hockey why what Tom Wilson did, was not that bad?

You don't make sense often, so when you do I always assume it was accidental.

literally grabbed him by the hair and then tried to drive his skull into the ice. and the guy with what, the second worst track record in the league, is the one who does it. what more does it take?

and of course, Panarin was assessed a roughing minor!

I mean how can anyone reach any other conclusion than the NHL is actively supporting goonery and thuggery? The type of shit Tom Wilson does is what they want to see. Disgusting.
Even "just" the shot on Buchnevich should be 2 games minimum... and in a non joke league it should be 5.

So even just on a hockey level this Wilson play is ridiculous. If you have an absolute nutter running around it affects how everyone on the ice is playing. This isn’t just keep your head up stuff cause he’s almost surely going to end someone’s career on something illegal.

I bet the Rangers get a bigger fine than Wilson did.

Pierre Lebrun pointed out that the last time a team did anything like this was back in 2013, where the Sharks merely put out a statement politely disagreeing with a suspension the league handed out to one of their players in the playoffs, and they got hit with a $100K fine.

The Rangers statement is obviously on quite a different level than that.

Pierre Lebrun pointed out that the last time a team did anything like this was back in 2013, where the Sharks merely put out a statement politely disagreeing with a suspension the league handed out to one of their players in the playoffs, and they got hit with a $100K fine.

The Rangers statement is obviously on quite a different level than that.
This could get interesting. Taking liberties with a team like the Sharks is one thing. Trying it with a flagship franchise like the Rangers is a bit different.

Back