• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2021 Edition

Wayward DP

In what world does a 21 year old blossoming stud like Kessel cost just two 1st rounders in 2022? That was a one of a kind opportunity. Burke destroying the rest of the team doesn't take away the fact that the value he received in that particular trade was a no brainer and I would have been pissed if he didn't take that opportunity. We have so many things to roast Burke over.. I just find it weird that we are choosing this.
yeah, well said.

LeafOfFaith

It was a good trade. You can argue whether it was the correct use of assets or made sense from the big picture. But the trade itself is not, and was not, the problem.
Made no sense at the time, that’s not arguable.

As for the trade itself, Seguin was a superstar stud scoring 30+ in his sleep before injuries derailed him in recent years, and he’s still a 25/50 point player. Hamilton is an all star dman. I don’t think there’s any clear “win” in the trade itself. We traded 2 all stars for 1 all star. Leafs would’ve certainly fared better in the Burke era with Seguin and Hamilton than just Kessel.

Wayward DP

Burke's job was to put a competitive/entertaining team on the ice, and he figured that he could get it done by aggressively trading his way there - and I think he did very well by that measure. He needed star players to replace whatever you call the mess Cliff Fletcher left behind, and Kessel scored goals and sold jerseys.
it was everything else about being a GM that he happened to suck at. i.e. drafting, free agency, pro talent evaluation, etc.

Wayward DP

Made no sense at the time, that’s not arguable.

As for the trade itself, Seguin was a superstar stud scoring 30+ in his sleep before injuries derailed him in recent years, and he’s still a 25/50 point player. Hamilton is an all star dman. I don’t think there’s any clear “win” in the trade itself. We traded 2 all stars for 1 all star. Leafs would’ve certainly fared better in the Burke era with Seguin and Hamilton than just Kessel.
we did not trade either Seguin or Hamilton for Kessel though.

LeafOfFaith

In what world does a 21 year old blossoming stud like Kessel cost just two 1st rounders in 2022? That was a one of a kind opportunity. Burke destroying the rest of the team doesn't take away the fact that the value he received in that particular trade was a no brainer and I would have been pissed if he didn't take that opportunity. We have so many things to roast Burke over.. I just find it weird that we are choosing this.
Well, because it was terrible and wasted several years by trying to win with a retooled roster that fell on its face and necessitated a full rebuild. Whether you believe in building out from the net, or D, or 1C, I’m pretty sure nobody builds out from W. The only way we were going to be able to acquire those cornerstones was through the draft picks he traded away. Like trading away your tires for cool rims.

LeafOfFaith

we did not trade either Seguin or Hamilton for Kessel though.
We should’ve known there was a very good chance a bad team out of the playoffs would have high picks. I did, so maybe the GM should’ve too. And if we were trading the picks for Crosby, that’s one thing. I take the multiple 1sts over a good winger when the organization is devoid of a C, D, or G.

LeafGm

Burke's job was to put a competitive/entertaining team on the ice, and he figured that he could get it done by aggressively trading his way there - and I think he did very well by that measure. He needed star players to replace whatever you call the mess Cliff Fletcher left behind, and Kessel scored goals and sold jerseys.

That was ultimately Burke’s biggest bet. That the mediocre, aging team with empty cupboards that he was taking over didn’t need any kind of patient rebuild and that he could turn them into a contender with a combination of aggressive trades and free agent signings.

In the end he failed miserably at that. And largely due to his inability to fix the goaltending, his incompetence when it came to managing the cap and the absolute gong show that was his performance on the free agent market.

Wayward DP

That was ultimately Burke’s biggest bet. That the mediocre, aging team with empty cupboards that he was taking over didn’t need any kind of patient rebuild and that he could turn them into a contender with a combination of aggressive trades and free agent signings.

In the end he failed miserably at that. And largely due to his inability to fix the goaltending, his incompetence when it came to managing the cap and the absolute gong show that was his performance on the free agent market.
not cause of the Kessel trade though!

but yeah, Burke had very few areas in which he was competent. trading was one of them.

LeafGm

not cause of the Kessel trade though!

but yeah, Burke had very few areas in which he was competent. trading was one of them.

Yeah, I’d argue that for Burke’s plan to have worked, once he was all-in on the “no rebuild” plan, he needed to add an elite player or two in free agency and make a couple more Kessel-type trades.

At least one or two of those moves would’ve also had to include adding a legit #1 center and legit #1 defenseman. Along with a goalie of course, as previously mentioned.

The fact that he couldn’t pull that off is where he ultimately screwed up. But I still have no issue with someone pointing back to the original move in the “win-now” chain and saying that Burke shouldn’t have done it because it was a mistake to try going down that path in the first place.

Wayward DP

Yeah, I’d argue that for Burke’s plan to have worked, once he was all-in on the “no rebuild” plan, he needed to add an elite player or two in free agency and make a couple more Kessel-type trades.

At least one or two of those moves would’ve also had to include adding a legit #1 center and legit #1 defenseman. Along with a goalie of course, as previously mentioned.

The fact that he couldn’t pull that off is where he ultimately screwed up. But I still have no issue with someone pointing back to the original move in the “win-now” chain and saying that Burke shouldn’t have done it because it was a mistake to try going down that path in the first place.
that's all well and good, but that is a significant moving of the goalposts from the original discussions which were simply limited to the merits of the specific, actual trade. and the dunk attempt seems to be unfairly linking the two.

also, Burkie did also acquire Phaneuf. and eventually Giguere.

Burke was just impatient. and it came back to bite him.

LeafOfFaith

that's all well and good, but that is a significant moving of the goalposts from the original discussions which were simply limited to the merits of the specific, actual trade. and the dunk attempt seems to be unfairly linking the two.

also, Burkie did also acquire Phaneuf. and eventually Giguere.

Burke was just impatient. and it came back to bite him.
The original discussion was never about the merits of the specific actual trade. That’s only been said a thousand times now.

CH1

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins.

Because the average fan thinks making great trades is 80% of a GMs job. It's the glamorous part of the gig that makes splashy headlines (along with hiring/firing the head coach). As most of us know, it's really about 20% of the job.