• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2023 Edition

It's a prestige issue. You just can't replicate the importance and prestige of Olympic gold. The only sporting tournament in the world that has been able to match the prestige of the Olympics is basically a one sport mini Olympics.

By all means create and run a regular hockey world cup, but don't expect it to eclipse the prestige of Olympic gold for a long ass time.

There's no Olympic prestige for any other major sport.

If anyone other than the US wins an Olympic gold in basketball there sure as fuck is. There would be a ton of prestige in an olympic football gold if they didn't have their own tournament with a century of history that the world basically shuts down for.

I'm not saying to not build their own tournament...but it has to be national, none of this "Team North America" young guns shit, however entertaining it might be. If you're going to build the international tournament, cool, have it. But it's going to take a while until is has the importance of Olympic gold.

Last edited:
The comp is so uneven in the Olympics that most of the games are a snooze fest. I feel like because of the one and done nature of the medal rounds people think the games are better than they are. Also, Canadians love them because it's the only male team sport we are good at on an international level.
John herdman dislikes this comment

I really wonder. What happens if Jeff Molson comes out and announces an English GM and and an English coach? In the news conference he poins to lack of success the past two decades. And then leaves the stage.

He'll get hammered. And then what happens? People won't go to the games? won't buy Merchandise? And for how long?

In other words, is this a manufactured threat?

I know a lot of hockey nerds adored "Team North America". But if your goal is to establish the World Cup as a credible replacement for the status the Olympics has as the premier best-on-best international hockey tournament, gimmicks like that are counter-productive.

I know a lot of hockey nerds adored "Team North America". But if your goal is to establish the World Cup as a credible replacement for the status the Olympics has as the premier best-on-best international hockey tournament, gimmicks like that are counter-productive.
Would that team get nearly as much attention with Owen power and Shane Wright vs the mcdavid and matthews team it was?

Back