• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2023 Edition

sure. but as I noted previously, I can think of exactly two examples of this occurring in recent memory. every other big FA just follows the $$$
I’ll also remind you that Montreal has a slew of high offers that were turned down for lesser money in the States.

Agents use Montreal and Toronto mercilessly to drive up demand.

If he got 10.5 last summer from the Flames he might just have signed it. I don't blame them for not doing that, but they gave him that huge offer at the last minute. They handled how to get Huberdeau signed better.
If they offered him 10.5 last year the GM would have been fired. Johnny hockey was coming off two bad years before putting up 115 points.

Maybe not recently but it has happened. The point is players do take less elsewhere more than people think.

did Montreal offer him more than Edmonton? legit news to me if so...

he very much seems to be a 'chase the bag' guy...

I was jesting but back in the day studs like Brett Hull and Brendan Shanahan reportedly took less money and term than Montreal was offering .... not sure what the situation is now, but my guess is that language and other Quebec distinctiveness probably presents some friction.

I was jesting but back in the day studs like Brett Hull and Brendan Shanahan reportedly took less money and term than Montreal was offering .... not sure what the situation is now, but my guess is that language and other Quebec distinctiveness probably presents some friction.
I am undermining my own position bringing this up, but Wayne Simmonds comes to mind in recent memory.

And fuck, how I wish he had chased the bag!

I am undermining my own position bringing this up, but Wayne Simmonds comes to mind in recent memory.

And fuck, how I wish he had chased the bag!

especially since Corey Effin Perry wanted to play for the Leafs.

if glasses offered him Simmonds money, you guys beat the Habs in the playoffs in 21, and god knows how many other series

I'm late but it all depends on circumstances. Jack Campbell had every reason to obviously chase the bag. This was his final chance to acquire a bag and chasing it was always gonna be a lock. Same with Mikhayev. The oldies or players with several millions earned throughout their careers can potentially prioritize other shit. Not always, and IMO it's not completely common either.

And then there's a guy like Cunting who got larger offers elsewhere but he chose a 2 year show-me deal after looking at the lack of LW depth on the Leafs.. Meaning he knew he had good odds of playing with Matthews or Tavares. So one could argue that was a partially financial decision as well. He will secure that bag next summer, as he should.

Lucic

Reactions: CH1
I could've sworn I walked past Jack Campbell yesterday in the mall beside my office. Wearing a hat, with a medium sized dog, and a woman, but he sort of turned his head before I could zero in and I didn't care to do a u-turn and try to get a better look. If he's actually in LA right now, I'd bet it was him.

I could've sworn I walked past Jack Campbell yesterday in the mall beside my office. Wearing a hat, with a medium sized dog, and a woman, but he sort of turned his head before I could zero in and I didn't care to do a u-turn and try to get a better look. If he's actually in LA right now, I'd bet it was him.
I think I've seen some pics of him in LA recently so yeah prob him. CONGRATS!

Back