• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Hyman definitely had Jewish privilege. But he also had 4 brothers that didn’t make it past their dad’s junior teams. Privilege only gets you so far in a pure meritocracy likes pro sports, which is literally no where.

Hyman is one of the hardest working guys in the NHL.
Yep. Chet Hanks didn't become a movie star,

That's the thing and the reason he should have kept his mouth shut. Nowhere did he say he wasn't a hard worker. Or that he wasn't still battling the odds even with all of the help he received. His main point is that he had an advantage that even most rich kids don't have and that it's part of his "story." Which, sure, it is. But also who cares.

You can't put out a 30 minute video on that small obvious point that everyone knows is true, that could be stated in a few words and expect zero backlash. Of course people will interpret as "he's not giving him any credit." But I don't think that's really what the overall message was through his words, it was mostly through his tone. And the length of the video was wild too.. he seemed angry. I feel bad for the guy because he really didn't say anything that wasn't factual. He's just a dummy with no tact.

I prefer to think it wasn't due to him being Jewish, and more due to the fact he played on the Leafs as the issue for what AB said. Someone on Twitter asked why he didn't mention about Reinhart who also has 50. Dude plays in Florida. No one cares Panthers players always get a free pass.
The guy is still trending, but says no one reached-out to him from the media.

Let's face it, hockey is hell expensive.
I think Hyman's level of help that he received far exceeds Reinharts or anyone's that I'm aware of really. I get why he chose Hyman and I get that it's absolutely half of his story (with the other half being hard work and dedication), but sometimes you should just keep your mouth shut. It's not easy to point this out without sounding jealous or angry. And his tone was definitely that.

I mean having a dad that played in the NHL certainly seems like a unique and beneficial privilege. All 3 Reinhardt kids played in the NHL. Only 1 of 5 Hymans made it past low level

It's privilege but nothing like buying teams and scouting services. But anyway Andrew was simply battling the narrative that he's just a hard worker and that's the only part of his story. The other part is that his dad put him in an unbelievable spot to be an nhler despite maybe having limited natural skills. He really really really wanted the media to get that part out there for some reason. It's obviously 100% true but it's a weird thing to be passionate about it.

And he never said it's the only reason he made the NHL; Reinhart's or even Willy's privilege wasn't any "better" than Hyman's. Hyman's is simply more unique. He didn't have a dad who played in the NHL, got his genetics, spent a lot of time at the rink growing up because it was his father's workplace, etc. That's privilege, but quite common and a story told often at least with a guy like Willy. Hyman's dad just threw money at everything to help his kids make the NHL. And sure enough, one did. Nothing wrong with that imo and he shouldn't be shamed, but that's what happened.

Just a rudimentary understanding of probability underscores how stupid this is.

What are the odds of a Bantam AAA making the NHL? Go further - odds of playing 100 games. Further - odds of scoring 50 fucken goals in a season.

You could pour $250K into thousands of these kids and literally none of them will get a sniff. I mean, how many data points are there in HockeyDB without any NHL games?

Privilege? Jumpin geezus on a pogo stick.

Just a rudimentary understanding of probability underscores how stupid this is.

What are the odds of a Bantam AAA making the NHL? Go further - odds of playing 100 games. Further - odds of scoring 50 fucken goals in a season.

You could pour $250K into thousands of these kids and literally none of them will get a sniff. I mean, how many data points are there in HockeyDB without any NHL games?

Privilege? Jumpin geezus on a pogo stick.
Not just that. It's from a guy who's made his name off of analytics, sort of.

You would think that he'd be more aware of what the numbers represent, but alas...

Back