• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Yup , Eric Francis said the same thing

You dont get burnt often locking up your studs to 6-8 year deals

Ottawa and Buffalo are doing it and even if their records are weak , those players have good value around the league
And Trev gave Coleman that horrendous deal (Grit, leadership) and took away cap to sign MT. The 3 years for 'only" 7 million is a bad idea with your young players. Especially from U.s and you're in Calgary.

weird, weren't you pretty critical of our deals locking up our young studs?
Ottawa and Buffalo have young "studs".

Leafs just have untalented, middle-aged bums on oversized contracts. And are in constant cap hell. And can never afford to keep all of the definitely not star players we keep resigning. Think I have this right now.

3 years in and the ice is still tilted when he's on the ice. He has provided a shit ton of value. I don't think the last 1 or 2 (maybe 3?) years will be pretty but so far I can think of like 5 things that Tre fucked up worse than signing a gritty analytics darling (yes, admittedly paying the Calgary tax to do so). Fair to be concerned that he'd fall off a cliff by now but it just hasn't happened. He has arguably had his best year with the Flames this year.

Ottawa and Buffalo have young "studs".

Leafs just have untalented, middle-aged bums on oversized contracts. And are in constant cap hell. And can never afford to keep all of the definitely not star players we keep resigning. Think I have this right now.
Yep pretty much. I'm just tired of the "Leafs locking up their best players when they can't get over the hump in the playoffs!!" rhetoric if you're going to simultaneously blow teams that are near the bottom. I guess it's a consequence of expectations but it's not logical.

Just wait! Ottawa and Buffalo will be good any moment now!! They're up and coming. Anyyyyyy day now.

Yep pretty much. I'm just tired of the "Leafs locking up their best players when they can't get over the hump in the playoffs!!" rhetoric if you're going to simultaneously blow teams that are near the bottom. I guess it's a consequence of expectations but it's not logical.

Just wait! Ottawa and Buffalo will be good any moment now!! They're up and coming. Anyyyyyy day now.
yeah the cognitive dissonance is pretty strong on this. Leaf hatred is pretty blinding, apparently.

It is the double-standard that's tiresome. How much can a young player with pretty "Meh" regular season stats and 0 playoff games get anyways? Nylander had 2 61 point seasons and people wanted to drag Dubas through the streets for the overpay.

3 years in and the ice is still tilted when he's on the ice. He has provided a shit ton of value. I don't think the last 1 or 2 (maybe 3?) years will be pretty but so far I can think of like 5 things that Tre fucked up worse than signing a gritty analytics darling (yes, admittedly paying the Calgary tax to do so). Fair to be concerned that he'd fall off a cliff by now but it just hasn't happened. He has arguably had his best year with the Flames this year.

I've seen too many of these "oh, that's going to be ugly in the last 1-2 yrs" type deals end up on LTIR now to be as worried as I used to be about them.

I'm of the mind that these guys are now signing these long term deals into mid-late 30's knowing that they're retirement deals and will likely end up on some version of Robidas island before the end of it. Most hockey players in their mid 30's have built up a collection of significant enough injuries that it's fairly easy to slide them into LTIR if they're willing to cash the paycheque from the beach.

I've seen too many of these "oh, that's going to be ugly in the last 1-2 yrs" type deals end up on LTIR now to be as worried as I used to be about them.

I'm of the mind that these guys are now signing these long term deals into mid-late 30's knowing that they're retirement deals and will likely end up on some version of Robidas island before the end of it. Most hockey players in their mid 30's have built up a collection of significant enough injuries that it's fairly easy to slide them into LTIR if they're willing to cash the paycheque from the beach.
The real bad ones are the ones that look dumb in year 1, yeah. I've got all the time in the world for a gritty analytics darling.

Back