• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

No it's not.

Monahan can play in every situations, at centre or on the wing. He's great at faceoffs. He's big and producing at a ~60 points parce and he makes no money.

He is a top notch rental and it's not ridiculous we might get a first rounder for him.

God, it’s kind of adorable how fond you Hab fans have gotten for your deadline fodder reclamation project.

31 points in 47 games is actually a 54-point pace, so claiming he’s scoring at a ~60 point pace is some pretty optimistic rounding-up.

And yes, while he CAN play in every situation, like any player can, he’s not actually good in every situation, which is a fairly important distinction when a player is as dogshit defensively as Monahan is.

And 5 of his 11 goals and 13 of his 31 points have come on the power-play, where he’s been getting loads of ice-time on the Habs’s first power-play unit. If he gets traded to a team that’s actually good, that ice-time will all but vanish.

Again, he is the classic case of an OK depth player with a modicum of offensive ability getting outsized ice-time an power-play opportunities on a bad team. He is NOT actually a good top-6 forward.

All that said, it’s still likely you’ll get a decent return for him at the deadline. 2nd + a prospect or even a late first rounder is not out of the realm of possibility. NHL GM’s are dumb by and large and get desperate at the deadline.

All that said, it’s still likely you’ll get a decent return for him at the deadline. 2nd + a prospect or even a late first rounder is not out of the realm of possibility. NHL GM’s are dumb by and large and get desperate at the deadline.
So through all the bluster you agree with me.

1706107130626.gif

No it's not.

Monahan can play in every situations, at centre or on the wing. He's great at faceoffs. He's big and producing at a ~60 points parce and he makes no money.

He is a top notch rental and it's not ridiculous we might get a first rounder for him.
Don't take these guys seriously when it comes to the Habs. I sure as shit don't.

At least as far as the likely return goes, I’ve been agreeing with you all along!

I just disagree with the notion that Monahan is actually good.
It'll depend on availability and cost at deadline. Always does. Is Monahan a top forward? No. Do they become available at deadline? Very rarely.

What Monahan is in this case is likely the best, or close to, option at deadline for teams that don't want to upset the apple cart. He's cheap, a known commodity and on a better team than sHabs this year? He'd be putting up more points.

I really don’t. The amount of beautiful setups to open nets that his wingers miss is criminal.

I really don’t. The amount of beautiful setups to open nets that his wingers miss is criminal.

I guess if you’re under the delusion that there’s a contender out there that’s going to play Sean Monahan on their 1st or 2nd line as well as their first power-play unit, I can see how you think his offensive production would go up.

But that’s just not going to happen. His power-play time will mostly disappear, and he still won’t be passing to star wingers on his new team’s 3rd line.

I guess if you’re under the delusion that there’s a contender out there that’s going to play Sean Monahan on their 1st or 2nd line as well as their first power-play unit, I can see how you think his offensive production would go up.

But that’s just not going to happen. His power-play time will mostly disappear, and he still won’t be passing to star wingers on his new team’s 3rd line.
He can have the same impact as Lekhonen did with the Avs cup run

Can slot anywhere on the top 9 and wont get the tough match ups

Last edited:
He can have the same impact as Lekhonen did with the Avs cup run

Lekhonen was a former 2nd rounder in his mid-20’s that the Habs gave up on too early.

Not exactly a good comparison to Monahan at this stage of his career.

Lekhonen was a former 2nd rounder in his mid-20’s that the Habs gave up on too early.

Not exactly a good comparison to Monahan at this stage of his career.
Lek was never a point producer and we never gave up too early

He was simply going to be too expensive for a rebuilding team and had to go

Goes to a better team with elite talent and produced

Back