• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

I see no reason why it's not available, the issue i'd be concerned about is Treliving forcing the issue of including a number 1 D ( in his mind) in the deal.

The other thing that would be a mistake is thinking a Marner trade means you dont have to force Tavares out. It's still terrible value at 11M
Something around Matheson?

but Tavares and Rielly are also core 4 members. also older, worse players. also bearers of letters on their jersey, and more proven non-winners than Marner. also, players for whom taking back quarters for a dollar in trade would be more palatable.

Love Mo but if there was a good trade out there for him I'd explore it. He's paid like a #2 defender and has overall impact like one, but his defensive issues require sheltering that we seem intent on just not doing.

but Tavares and Rielly are also core 4 members. also older, worse players. also bearers of letters on their jersey, and more proven non-winners than Marner. also, players for whom taking back quarters for a dollar in trade would be more palatable.
all very good points

Love Mo but if there was a good trade out there for him I'd explore it. He's paid like a #2 defender and has overall impact like one, but his defensive issues require sheltering that we seem intent on just not doing.
What do his production metrics look like this year at 5 on 5? Incredible dynamic counting stats but mbow made a good point that he felt less dynamic this year. Seemed slower and felt like less of a weapon offensively than past years. He was a menace offensively jumping up and acting like an incredibly gifted fourth forward but it felt like we saw less of that this year?

But then I look at his stats and I'm like maybe I just take him for granted.

and we seem not to miss a beat when he has his annual injury time off

In any case I'm sorta over one dimensional d. I think teams should build a d corps with all around guys. Bottom pair is where you can hide guys that only do one thing really well. Not guys I prefer paying real money.

True but I am more tolerant of Rielly. His contract makes me ok as having him as a #2 D.

Tavares should lose his captaincy at the very least. Gone preferably but not for taking on a long term bad contract for a year of Tavares.

Nylander not going anywhere because I trust he can step up.

AM not going anywhere. Disappointing but just can't let go of an all-timer.

Needing to break up the core, Marner is the easy one to go. Marner should not be brought back under any circumstances in fact. For one, no way I'd be willing to dish out $13mil he'll want. Mostly though he doesn't battle when it counts. These two plays are symbolic of what he is:

View: https://youtu.be/WdV1Y9gmKB8?si=H8O9Uz1_38WuvFb5

The other I cannot find. Against Bruins, he had a wraparound empty netter but would've required him to take a hit. Instead be continued skating back of the net.

He needs to be on a team full of players who battle and he can float and playmake his way to the cup. He can indeed win the cup but not with the Maple Leafs. For his sake he needs to go as well.

Back