• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

He had one unprecedented bad stretch of shit luck with 0 points in 9 games in the middle of the season.

Over that stretch he had 30 shots and 0 goals.

The last 30 shots of the regular season that he took, 5 goals.

LOF just wrecked Jonas and won the debate despite being wrong.

xhd2Yg.gif

"Every time you get wrecked, it's a lesson learned and an opportunity to come out of it stronger"

Last edited:
Lovely player but I sort of prefer they get a longer term solution on d as opposed to a stop gap that is old enough to implode at any point.

Of course if they trade Tavares they could have gotten McDonagh AND a longer term guy. But it's a little risky to go with a guy that age and pencil him in the top or even second pair without a contingency plan in place.

Brodie was two years younger than what Ryan will be this year and he imploded at random.

We are past this now. Similar to oilers with ekholm - our window is shrunk. Take 1-3 years of top pairing and deal with the after math after in a trade or buy out or whatever else. Back to that state of mind that we need to stop caring about the feelings of players. Soak up their best years and then get rid of them in whatever manner we have to. This applies to the fuck JT feelings rule. Fucken bench him until he will wait that NMC after listing the reasons why he shouldn’t be captain of this team - hire zeke to make the analytics case + wehave to just add some angry shit about his parents and wife.

Need to identify top talent and forget about 10 year path. Matthews and Nylander are getting closer to 30 already and a decade of doing shit all in the playoffs (I mean the team advancing past round 1)

We are past this now. Similar to oilers with ekholm - our window is shrunk. Take 1-3 years of top pairing and deal with the after math after in a trade or buy out or whatever else. Back to that state of mind that we need to stop caring about the feelings of players. Soak up their best years and then get rid of them in whatever manner we have to. This applies to the fuck JT feelings rule. Fucken bench him until he will wait that NMC after listing the reasons why he shouldn’t be captain of this team - hire zeke to make the analytics case + wehave to just add some angry shit about his parents and wife.

Need to identify top talent and forget about 10 year path. Matthews and Nylander are getting closer to 30 already and a decade of doing shit all in the playoffs (I mean the team advancing past round 1)
Mcdonagh is 3 years older than Ekholm was when the oilers got him. With him I'm not worried about 10 years from now, I'm worried about next season. It's fine if you already have a nice d corps surrounding him but the leafs don't. They'd have to depend on a 35 year old; not something I wanna do when there are so many nice UFA d available this summer. Just get a sure thing, even if you have to give him too much for too long, not some old dude on his last legs. Hell, they couldn't even depend on Brodie this year.

Brodie is a bit odd as top pair dmen don’t fall off a cliff like he did last year. I am guessing more to do with his personal life. McD is a low risk worth taking for next year. We have McCabe and MR to start. Add 35 year old top pair dmen all day and someone else. Lilli and whoever on the btm pair and off we go.

If the dman ends up injured - then pull a Vegas. Or trade the guy at the deadline. Keep adding top quality players and even better when signed to affordable contracts.

Brodie is a bit odd as top pair dmen don’t fall off a cliff like he did last year. I am guessing more to do with his personal life. McD is a low risk worth taking for next year. We have McCabe and MR to start. Add 35 year old top pair dmen all day and someone else. Lilli and whoever on the btm pair and off we go.

If the dman ends up injured - then pull a Vegas. Or trade the guy at the deadline. Keep adding top quality players and even better when signed to affordable contracts.
You're advocating for the safe option here. I'm saying, go balls out and pay Skjej and Roy without worrying about what the deal will look like in 5-7 years. The time to be safe is no more. They're not gonna win the cup with a 36 year old #1.

Fake nerd going cheapo and not ponying up for Ekholm really started the domino effect . He would have completed changed the dynamic of the back end.
That's a massive issue. We also could have had Chychrun if not Ekholm. There are top pair Ds that are very good available. We just haven't gone for that.
The painful thing is we've wasted so many assets on crap that left anyways.

That's a massive issue. We also could have had Chychrun if not Ekholm. There are top pair Ds that are very good available. We just haven't gone for that.
The painful thing is we've wasted so many assets on crap that left anyways.
we did with Muzz. but then we cheaped out with McCabe (who is fine on his own, but more of a #3-4 than a top pairing guy).

Honestly I think McCabe is right there with them. Muzzin was the best offensively, Brodie was the best defensively, but McCabe probably the best two-way and has Muzzin's physicality with Brodie's skating.

Playoffs Leafs 5v5 since '18

Rielly 44gms, 20:04, -4.3dzs%, 57.1xgf% (+4.8rel), 1.50p/60
Brodie 26gms, 18:53, +2.3dzs%, 58.3xgf% (+5.3rel), 0.73p/60
McCabe 18gms, 18:16, +7.6dzs%, 49.7xgf% (+0.0rel), 0.55p/60
Muzzin 22gms, 16:37, +3.2dzs%, 46.4xgf% (-5.3rel), 1.31p/60

Brodie of course had the big advantage of playing mostly with Mo when not with mccabe or muzzin, while the other two played with the likes of Holl and Benoit when not with Brodie.

Back