• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

oR1nsR.gif

I love hearing Ottawa falling apart before they've even played a playoff game. They got their cacks sucked last 2 years for this amazing future.
That new owner is now giving Melnyk vibes. They could have had Ryan Reynolds. What a clusterfuck

Ottawa making changes is a very good opportunity for us. They have some very good pieces and they are a very realistic destination for tavares.

Why do you guys think a rebuilding (again) Ottawa will want Tavares let alone give up young assets for him? I think it's highly highly unlikely.

Oh Ottawa would love Tavares. Big name, still a good player and makes almost no real money next year. They're right up against the cap I believe so that's probably the only issue.

They're not gonna give up prime assets for him of course but I'm sure they'd love to have him.

And who do you suspect they'd give up for LoF's Bashert?
Return depends on how much the leafs retain on Tavares. But yeah, it won't be much. The important thing for the Leafs is to dump as much of the salary as possible. The return is secondary for me.

As long as the return isn't expected to be anything then perhaps. As you said the Leafs would have to retain. I wouldn't expect one of their decent pieces though.

Marner is a different story.

Don't think retention is an issue. I'm sure the new owner would love to hit the cap floor but only pay tavares $900k in real money.

An interesting possibility would be taking on Norris' contract, given he may or may not be permanently LTIR.

As long as the return isn't expected to be anything then perhaps. As you said the Leafs would have to retain. I wouldn't expect one of their decent pieces though.

Marner is a different story.
11m aav is a tough sell for any team, yeah, and aren't the Sens almost capped out? Maybe that changed? But if the leafs retain 2-3m I'd expect a pretty solid return. He has extra value to many teams due to being owed almost no real money next year. That's big.

Of course the other option is taking on a large, longer term contract that maybe some team isn't so horny about. But I don't trust Tre to identify the right player for that kind of deal.

Why do you guys think a rebuilding (again) Ottawa will want Tavares let alone give up young assets for him? I think it's highly highly unlikely.
If the Sens had hired Jim Benning as GM instead of Staios, I could see that happening. He took on OEL's contract after all.

Any rebuilding team with cap space would be interested in Tavares, if Tavares will agree to waive his NMC to go there.

He’s an $11M cap hit, but will only cost you $910K in actual salary after the Leafs pay out his signing bonus for this coming season.

He’s also allegedly a good leaderbean to have around your young players. And because he’s only a one-year commitment and puts up OK counting stats, you’d almost certainly be able to flip him for a decent return at the deadline.

That said, I don’t expect the Leafs would get much of a return for him. The “return” would mainly just be dumping his cap hit. But I also don’t think the Leafs would need to cough up any real assets to get someone to take him, for the reasons stated above.

Back