• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Skinner’s crappiness is grossly exaggerated. Better (or at least as good) as any Leaf goalie during your Core 4 era.

GSAA/60 says he's basically as good as peak Freddy was for us. Freddy's problem was never that he was shit, it's that he was shit when we needed him to not be.

Decent goalie on a Tuesday in January.

You know Skinner isn't bad, right?

11th in the league in GSAA/60 over the last 2 seasons combined. Oettinger is 8th. Bobrovsky 12th.

He's no stud or anything, but he's pretty okay.
That's the crux of the comment. He's pretty okay. Shouldn't be good enough to be shutting them down like he has, but the disparity in shots with him standing tall is comedic.

And instructive. Any pretty okay goalie can do this in front of a powerful team. That's why you shouldn't go gamble with big money goalies, and should instead allocate that money to skaters.

Cuthbert is better than Albert, I’ll grant you that much but CBC intermission panel is amateur hour
I honestly find it more entertaining. Might be nostalgia, but I think apart from that, I like the people on the panels and bit more and think they have better insight than the popcorn stuff that TNT sells.

I've never said to not get a good goalie for cheap if you can. The requirement is a good goalie, how much you pay them is secondary.

The order of operations is this:

Good cheap goalie >> good uncheap goalie >>> ungood goalie

GSAA/60 says he's basically as good as peak Freddy was for us. Freddy's problem was never that he was shit, it's that he was shit when we needed him to not be.

Decent goalie on a Tuesday in January.

Fred was the most insidious kind of shitty goalie in the playoffs.

Overall it often looked on the surface like he was playing pretty decent. But then along with the occasional muffin at the absolute worst possible times, he'd also have games where every half-decent scoring chance allowed would end up in the back of our net.

And then all the analysis afterwards would be about Toronto's "defensive breakdowns" being to blame for the loss, as if it should be expected to regularly go on entire playoff games without allowing any scoring chances.

I've never said to not get a good goalie for cheap if you can. The requirement is a good goalie, how much you pay them is secondary.

The order of operations is this:

Good cheap goalie >> good uncheap goalie >>> ungood goalie
Yeah, but Skinner hasn't cracked even a .900 in his only two postseasons so far. Barely kept his head above that mark in the regular season this year. And here he is, a period away from going to the finals with an .890-ish.

Whenever we get those numbers from our goalies, they get the majority of the blame for our defeats. Even when we get significantly better than that like Campbell that year, he still gets blamed for the untimely bad one here and there.

This is why you just don't worry too much about goalies. Woll and any decent vet we get for cheap to back him up is good enough for me going into next year.

eah, but Skinner hasn't cracked even a .900 in his only two postseasons so far.

He's been bad in the playoffs so far in his career, but overall a pretty decent goalie. Guys like that are more likely to figure it out at some point than someone who just isn't as good. More likely to give you random good performances despite the overall poor form than someone actually shit, etc.

As for "barely above .900" SV% has shifted over the last few years, .915 isn't the standard for good goalies anymore. We've also got better rate tools now like gsax/gsaa per 60. Skinner was slightly above average according to GSAA/60 this year despite only having a .905

This is why you just don't worry too much about goalies. Woll and any decent vet we get for cheap to back him up is good enough for me going into next year.

Call me when Woll can play a month without getting hurt. Expecting him to be a 1A is a good way to make the regular season way more interesting than it needs to be.

That's the crux of the comment. He's pretty okay. Shouldn't be good enough to be shutting them down like he has, but the disparity in shots with him standing tall is comedic.

And instructive. Any pretty okay goalie can do this in front of a powerful team. That's why you shouldn't go gamble with big money goalies, and should instead allocate that money to skaters.
Well as we knew all along, you don't need a super elite goalie to win a cup. He just has to be good just good. Or at least good enough to go on a heater in May/June. Oilers are gonna dominate most teams on any given night and the random goalie variance that happens in all small samples will either work for them or against them. It's the one position on a roster where league average would do just fine.

Or in Florida's case it didn't matter since they're a juggernaut and wrecked the Rangers despite Shesty.

I've never seen such a specialty teams disparity in a playoff series in my entire life. insane.

Shit week for zeke. First the panthers. Then his parents kicked him out of the basement until he finds a job. Now this.

Back