• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

It's about what I expected but still hilarious to me. Teams don't learn. I think Bob winning the cup made it seem easy to win with an overpaid goalie. Now go find yourself bargains like Forsling, Verhaege, Rodrigues, and Montour, Nashville! Should be easy!

Ullmark's agent right now

can%27t-wait-excited.gif

Trotz didn't shy away from showing his interest in Marner so the smoke is there for a deal. What comes back with Askarov?

View: https://x.com/reporterchris/status/1806508124444238078

I get it in that he's been a 60+ game true starter for 3 seasons straight now after being a 1A workload guy in the prior 2 and he's been stellar on the whole through out 5 years as a starter. His worst season of the 5 was only a bit above average, the other 4 outstanding, top 5 stuff.

But the extension doesn't kick in until he's 30 and yeah probably not a problem until it's a 100-110+ million dollar cap....and he's a midget.

If they were a contending club I'd get it. They're not, and they're not close. Worse, they have their heir apparent ready for a NHL job and they had a year worth of runway to use. This is an extension that actually looks a lot better a year from now if he bounces back and Askarov isn't ready yet, than it does right now.

Trotz didn't shy away from showing his interest in Marner so the smoke is there for a deal. What comes back with Askarov?

Kampf goes with Marner, Forsberg + Askarov comes back.

Not even sure I like it, but that's what it would have to be.

Wait till lof sees this one

The numbers are getting big and shiny, but that's 7.74 on a 92 million dollar cap. Rough math but that's just over 8%

The Bobrovsky deal was 12.27% of the cap at the time. At a 92 million dollar cap, the Bobrovsky deal would have been 11.3 million.

The numbers are getting big and shiny, but that's 7.74 on a 92 million dollar cap. Rough math but that's just over 8%

The Bobrovsky deal was 12.27% of the cap.
It's the 8 years for me. A first line forward can be quite productive from 30-38. And even if they take a step back they're still producing in a secondary role. If Saros has 8 more consistent starting caliber years from 30-38 he's a hall of famer and one of the greats of this generation. That's rare and not a bet I'd make. Not even bobrovsky did it after his amazing stretch in Columbus.

But the other bit is that if you're smart about it you can get real good average+ goaltending spending less. Or even spending similar and hedging your bets with a tandem (with less term).

He would have gotten more on the open market yeah. Sounds like he just wanted to stay.

But yes this is why I didn't want him or Ullmark. Their extensions suck/will suck.

It's the 8 years for me. A first line forward can be quite productive from 30-38. And even if they take a step back they're still producing in a secondary role. If Saros has 8 more consistent starting caliber years from 30-38 he's a hall of famer and one of the greats of this generation. That's rare and not a bet I'd make. Not even bobrovsky did it after his amazing stretch in Columbus.

But the other bit is that if you're smart about it you can get real good average+ goaltending spending less. Or even spending similar and hedging your bets with a tandem (with less term).

Yeah, same. Though I imagine the same logic applies to our Tanev talks. If he falls apart at 34, he goes on LTIR and finishes his career on the Nashville stretch of Robidas island.

Taking a quick look at the best aging goalies of recent years and he's basically MAF and Talbot. Honestly, MAF was probably worth 8% of cap from 30-37 yrs old. But that's basically it.

Ullmark weirdness aside, i'm not sure why you guys think that a goalie with Saros' super elite workhorse track record would get anything less than that. If he hadn't had a slightly off year this year it would have been much higher.

Because I figured Nashville would use the time that they had to mitigate some risk. If he has two meh years in a row he either stays for cheaper and shorter term or you let him walk. If he bounces back then the contract is more or less the same.

Back