• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Yep. Even the Marner ones that were presented were only reported much later.

God, I wish he’d signed an offer sheet. Getting four unprotected Columbus 1st rounders instead of Mitch at $11M for the last several years would’ve been rad.

it's previous obvious tho....when a team offers sheets a player and he doesn't sign it, it never gets reported
These details matter. I should not have to find additional sources to confirm what should obviously have been accurately reported at the first instance.

And again, using “tendered” is just plain wrong and inaccurate.

i guess the confusion is in the word "offer".

but "Offer Sheet" goes together, similar to a word like "Contract".

An Offer Sheet is not the same thing as a Contract offer - it's a signed document.

An unsigned Offer Sheet is probably best described an offered Offer Sheet. A signed Offer Sheet doesn't become just a Sheet.

i guess the confusion is in the word "offer".

but "Offer Sheet" goes together, similar to a word like "Contract".

An Offer Sheet is not the same thing as a Contract offer - it's a signed document.

An unsigned Offer Sheet is probably best described an offered Offer Sheet. A signed Offer Sheet doesn't become just a Sheet.
these terms should be defined in the CBA. there is also clearly not a consensus on what they variously mean

Yeah the offer sheet is the document that is given to the team that holds the player rights, not the offer to the player.

Basically a signed term sheet and they have the right of first refusal.

An offer sheet is given to the agent, the agent then presents it to the team if accepted. The player is a free agent so his agent can shop around. The restriction is the club that owns the players rights can match. That's the only distinction from unrestricted.

Other than compensation should the team owning the player's rights walk away.

An offer sheet is given to the agent, the agent then presents it to the team. The player is a free agent so his agent can shop around. The restriction is the club that owns the players rights can match. That's the only distinction from unrestricted.

Other than compensation should the team owning the player's rights walk away.
Either way the player has to sign the contract. Just issuing an RFA deal does not make it binding I assume.

Either way the player has to sign the contract. Just issuing an RFA deal does not make it binding I assume.
Oh of course acceptance by both parties is required however the term offer sheet simply means the obvious, they offered the player a contract. Up until acceptance by the player, the team that made the offer can also rescind the offer.

In this particular case I like that the cap strapped Oilers get the screws but I'm not a Broberg fan and St. Louis may be doing them a favor there. I don't see them walking away from Holloway.

In this particular case I like that the cap strapped Oilers get the screws but I'm not a Broberg fan and St. Louis may be doing them a favor there. I don't see them walking away from Holloway.
Broberg over Holloway (ignoring Caphit) but neither are good

Back