• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

I think Zeke's point is that the interrupted/delayed rebuild fucked the Habs future more than losing fucked the Leafs future and I'd generally agree.

It caused you guys to lock in a bag of terrible contracts rather than dump salaries and you went from a likely top 5 pick in a pretty good draft to 31st overall. Your rebuild would look a bunch more dangerous with one of Power, Beniers, MacTavish, Hughes, Guenther, etc

From a Leaf standpoint, it kind of exposed our GM/Coach combination at the time as shit, and started our stealth teardown (Only 5 roster players remain from that Leaf team, and at least 1 of those 2 is likely gone after this year). If the Leafs end up winning anything in the Matthews era, the Habs loss will probably be looked at as an inflection point where the Dubas version of the build first started getting real scrutiny.

We were not getting a top pick if they lost to the leafs. Wyatt at 23rd would have been nice though.

Habs immediately when to drafting first overall.

Habs should have been rebuilding but it had nothing to do with going to the finals.

2021 Offseason

MTL signs Ducharme as head coach for 3yrs

MTL trades 1st & 2nd for C.Dvorak

$7.9m x8 for Nick Suzuki
$4.5m x3 for Mike Hoffman
$3.5m x4 for David Savard
$3.4m x4 for Joel Armia
$1.7m x3 for Jake Evans

Dvorak for kk was the only thing of concern.

Duchame hurt the tank?
Savard, Hoffman, armia, Evans the tank?
And Suzuki is fine

We were not getting a top pick if they lost to the leafs. Wyatt at 23rd would have been nice though.

Habs immediately when to drafting first overall.

Habs should have been rebuilding but it had nothing to do with going to the finals.

I didn't articulate it properly, but what I'm saying is that you should have been tanking at the time. Not tanking led to more dumb shit, but many friends made along the way.

Yeah. I’ll take a nailbiting long playoff that includes a sensational 11-2 run to delay the rebuild by 6 months
Plus I knew it was both Price's and Weber's swan song and that was nice to watch. True warrior performances.

Reactions: CH1
Beating the Leafs, especially the way we beat them, and with the unexpected bonus of having a documentary film crew inside the Leafs dressing room in the aftermath of game 7, was more than worth whatever delay in the rebuild it might have caused. You can't put a price on schadenfreude that good.

The
Dvorak for kk was the only thing of concern.

Duchame hurt the tank?
Savard, Hoffman, armia, Evans the tank?
And Suzuki is fine

yeah you guys were clearly trying to contend that year. pretty fortunate the team imploded so completely (i.e. Price died) else Bergy would still be in charge.

but I agree - if you're happy with a 10yr rebuild then no moves actually hurt the rebuild.

I don't see how it makes a difference hystorically if you make the playoffs and don't even get to a conference finals. You get to watch another month of hockey in summer? Plenty of other things to do.

In the grand scheme of things it's still frustrating just in different ways.

If either team screwed their team going forward based on their reaction to those playoffs, it wasn't the leafs.
I know he is just zeking but for others this is what zeke said. The Habs did not screw the team going forward with their reaction to the SCF loss.

You know it is fine to admit you were wrong. People won't hold it against.

Eg. "my bad, I thought they remained a middling team after the run instead of killing price / Weber and letting the overated playoff hero walk instead of signing him longterm"

Back