• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League - 2023-24 Regular Season

Perhaps a good strategy for Habs is to focus on Yotes - if that org is as much of a cluster as the article states and the owners son is that involved in player moves, maybe MB can pry a Keller, or Demers / OEL at the other end of the cap spectrum (not sure how to make OELs cap hit work in the realm of reality but anyway..)?

Last edited:

Ouch, seems like we have a KHL franchise in the NHL.

I get that Phoenix is the whatever-eth media market in America, and that there's a huge untouched Hispanic market, and that there's this, and that there's that.

But at a certain point, someone has to realize that there's a reason only clowns and charlatans want to be owners of that franchise. Nobody in their right mind would buy them.

Pull the plug. Move the team to Houston, or Kansas City, or Milwaukee, or Portland and just be done with it.

Perhaps a good strategy for Habs is to focus on Yotes - if that org is as much of a cluster as the article states and the owners son is that involved in player moves, maybe MB can pry a Keller, or Demers / OEL at the other end of the cap spectrum (not sure how to make OELs cap hit work in the realm of reality but anyway..)?
OEL is not good anymore

Sorry but I’ve been there and that statement cracked me up. Scottsdale is retirement central.

I've been there too and it's not the vibe I got. There is some of that, plus snowbirds, but also a lot of young professionals, especially in tech.

I was there 2 years ago and it was popping. Still plenty of retirees but a lot of younger folks moving there now, especially from the PNW.

They're not going to get proper management because no one in their right mind wants to get involved.

NHL had no problem getting good owner & management for Las Vegas. From all indications, the ownership & management in Seattle looks like they'll do well although we'll see once they actually start.

When you're selling something that isn't prime real estate, you're not going to get legitimate buyers. You'll never get a Steven Cohen, a Steve Balmer-type to buy one of those franchises. Put the New Yawk Rangers for sale tomorrow morning, you'll have billionaires lining up to buy them.

Arizona will always be at a deficit for numerous reasons.

I have a very hard time believing that The Athletic would allow a piece like that to be published without extensive vetting through editors and lawyers.

Any shed of misinformation in there could possibly be used as libel.

I have a very hard time believing that The Athletic would allow a piece like that to be published without extensive vetting through editors and lawyers.

Any shed of misinformation in there could possibly be used as libel.
Especially by Katie Strange who’s known as someone who doesn’t skip steps in due diligence process...

They're not going to get proper management because no one in their right mind wants to get involved.

NHL had no problem getting good owner & management for Las Vegas. From all indications, the ownership & management in Seattle looks like they'll do well although we'll see once they actually start.

When you're selling something that isn't prime real estate, you're not going to get legitimate buyers. You'll never get a Steven Cohen, a Steve Balmer-type to buy one of those franchises. Put the New Yawk Rangers for sale tomorrow morning, you'll have billionaires lining up to buy them.

Arizona will always be at a deficit for numerous reasons.

It's a project, but it has a turnaround potential for someone to to a franchise for cheap and potentially flip it for a profit if they know what they are doing.

I don't agree at all. It's a major gamble with a low probability of making more than a marginal profit, if any at all.

The whole world is filled with people that have money and who are looking to find a devalued asset that they can shine up, repair and sell for a large marge (See George Gillett, made a nice $300M in profit).

And yet, finding a real owner for that franchise was been a puzzle the NHL hasn't been able to figure out going on 25 years now. Despite the media market, despite the untapped latino market, despite a whole variety of interesting and profitable things in the area.

Nobody except fringe buyers without much serious capital behind them, or a consortium of investors.

Not only are you buying a team ($300M), you're going to have to build a new arena, largely with your own money since the state/cities don't seem interested in helping out ($200M+?). You're going to have to invest in local and state-wide arenas to promoted and encourage youth participation ($20M+?). You're going to have to create community programs, local advertisement, contests, all of which are going to cost a lot of money. Then there are the operating costs of the franchise, which can get very high, very quickly.

Unless you're some multi-billionaire type, where you can stomach losing $50M+ a year for love of labor, then maybe. But those people don't become billionaires by throwing away money.

The experiment has long since failed and the franchise is in a vegetative state, living only off of a respirator.

Pull the plug and cut your losses.

I don't agree at all. It's a major gamble with a low probability of making more than a marginal profit, if any at all.

The whole world is filled with people that have money and who are looking to find a devalued asset that they can shine up, repair and sell for a large marge (See George Gillett, made a nice $300M in profit).

And yet, finding a real owner for that franchise was been a puzzle the NHL hasn't been able to figure out going on 25 years now. Despite the media market, despite the untapped latino market, despite a whole variety of interesting and profitable things in the area.

Nobody except fringe buyers without much serious capital behind them, or a consortium of investors.

Not only are you buying a team ($300M), you're going to have to build a new arena, largely with your own money since the state/cities don't seem interested in helping out ($200M+?). You're going to have to invest in local and state-wide arenas to promoted and encourage youth participation ($20M+?). You're going to have to create community programs, local advertisement, contests, all of which are going to cost a lot of money. Then there are the operating costs of the franchise, which can get very high, very quickly.

Unless you're some multi-billionaire type, where you can stomach losing $50M+ a year for love of labor, then maybe. But those people don't become billionaires by throwing away money.

The experiment has long since failed and the franchise is in a vegetative state, living only off of a respirator.

Pull the plug and cut your losses.

Only the NHL lifelines have saved this franchise , league probably funds their operation by 50% to stay afloat

Leafs and Habs probably generated more in concession sales than their revenue base

It’s been 13 years for me. Must be changing.

13 years is a long time when it comes to American cities.

There's a bunch of outstanding metro areas that have popped the last decade or so.

For me, that's the big plus of being a Yankee....so many places to move to....unlike Canada

Back