• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League - 2023-24 Regular Season

Hey, hey, I'm first for once. :)

That's not a great contract, but shit, who cares? He's got his Cup, he's got an excellent chance for another this upcoming season and after that? Fuck it, I'm paid.

Some random dude on Twitter:

The Avalanche signing Nathan Mackinnon for 8 years opens up the biggest Stanley Cup window in league history. Makar, Rantanen, Mackinnon, and the rest of the gang in their mid 20s for nearly a decade is about to be a MAJOR problem for the league and I'm here for it. #goavsgo

Who wants to break it to him? Colorado's window is open for one more year, then it's going to be a toss-up whether they're contenders or not.

If there wasn't a salary cap, guy would be 100% right. They'd be contenders and the probable pre-season favorites for the next decade.

However, Colorado's going to stumble the same way Chicago stumbled, and the same way Tampa Bay's about to stumble.

In the modern day NHL, you become contenders through having players (especially elite players) significantly outperform their contracts. You don't stay a contender by handing out a combined $13.7M to Sergachev and Cernak. You can stay a contender for a long time if they combine for $7.75M, though.

That Nichushkin contract is a fucking killer. What a terrible deal.

Hey, hey, I'm first for once. :)

That's not a great contract, but shit, who cares? He's got his Cup, he's got an excellent chance for another this upcoming season and after that? Fuck it, I'm paid.

He will be like Sid , a stud in his mid 30`s

Elite wheels that he will have for his entire career

Leafs will be bent over soon when 34 nets 15 million a season

Some random dude on Twitter:

The Avalanche signing Nathan Mackinnon for 8 years opens up the biggest Stanley Cup window in league history. Makar, Rantanen, Mackinnon, and the rest of the gang in their mid 20s for nearly a decade is about to be a MAJOR problem for the league and I'm here for it. #goavsgo

Who wants to break it to him? Colorado's window is open for one more year, then it's going to be a toss-up whether they're contenders or not.

They got 3 more years easy

Their core is locked up with no star to pay anytime soon other than Toews

Avs will get those cheap UFA 1 year Maroon and Perry to fill the roster

They have one more season as the clear-cut, no doubt about it pre-season favorites. But the second that MacKinnon deal kicks in, they won't suck, but they'll have hurdles to overcome. They won't be impossible to overcome, but they'll still have roadblocks.

They have 5 players that make $43.975M of the cap starting in 2023-2024 with Bowen Byrum unsigned. They won't re-sign Erik Johnson unless he takes a very cheap deal, and Byrum's going to get Johnson's $6M probably. Need someone to replace Erik Johnson's void. I think Samuel Girard has one or two more seasons with Colorado before they have to offload him to make space.

Add Byrum & his probable $6M, that's 6 players making close to $50M. They better pray none of them get injured, because they're going to get thin real quick.

Colorado's notable prospects are all on the team right now without much coming up the pipeline. Good, talented & cheap labor ain't on the way. Colorado could easily stay on top for a long time if they consistently had young prospects to fill the void.

TBay has an elite G to compensate for any lineup weaknesses… Avs don’t have that luxury

Al Murray was also able to find roster regulars past first round for his first 5-seasons as chief scout. Avs can’t draft any regulars past top-10 (Newhook may help buck that trend but not a given)

TBay has an elite G to compensate for any lineup weaknesses… Avs don’t have that luxury

Al Murray was also able to find roster regulars past first round for his first 5-seasons as chief scout. Avs can’t draft past top-10
Yup.

Exchange Rantanen for a prime, in his 20s Vasi/Price, then you have a different ball game. Along with cheap prospects filling key roles, voila.

That's the recipe. It's just so damn hard to get it to hit.

They have one more season as the clear-cut, no doubt about it pre-season favorites. But the second that MacKinnon deal kicks in, they won't suck, but they'll have hurdles to overcome. They won't be impossible to overcome, but they'll still have roadblocks.

They have 5 players that make $43.975M of the cap starting in 2023-2024 with Bowen Byrum unsigned. They won't re-sign Erik Johnson unless he takes a very cheap deal, and Byrum's going to get Johnson's $6M probably. Need someone to replace Erik Johnson's void. I think Samuel Girard has one or two more seasons with Colorado before they have to offload him to make space.

Add Byrum & his probable $6M, that's 6 players making close to $50M. They better pray none of them get injured, because they're going to get thin real quick.

Colorado's notable prospects are all on the team right now without much coming up the pipeline. Good, talented & cheap labor ain't on the way. Colorado could easily stay on top for a long time if they consistently had young prospects to fill the void.

The thing is Nate is the only player inked at crazy money and they have stars under cost certainty for years

Byrum will need a kick as year to make 6 mil , he has done squat to earn it and should be bridged

Toews is the big concern , they may just let him walks after 2 years

Joe will figure it out like Brisebois has so far

Al Murray was also able to find roster regulars past first round for his first 5-seasons as chief scout. Avs can’t draft any regulars past top-10 (Newhook may help buck that trend but not a given)

Its all about having your elite core inked for years as the cap goes up

Avs have minimal margin for error moving forward but the heavy lifting is done

What you dont want is a roster with bad heavy contracts and now you need to ink your better players exiting UFA

Avs and TB are fine , they dont have shit contracts like Price or Gallagher to deal with

Its all about having your elite core inked for years as the cap goes up

Avs have minimal margin for error moving forward but the heavy lifting is done

What you dont want is a roster with bad heavy contracts and now you need to ink your better players exiting UFA

Avs and TB are fine , they dont have shit contracts like Price or Gallagher to deal with
I expect Avs to be a rinse and repeat of the Pens circa 2008-2015. Great roster talent (3-lines very deep), but poor G forced a quick exit year in year out in the playoffs and only 1-Cup to show for

Back