• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League - 2023-24 Regular Season

GGpX

Yesterday was the first day of playoffs. I watched the Carolina-NYR game, it was sloppy. Watched the first period of the Deadmonton-Chicago game and...

They're going to waste McDavid & Draisaitl there, aren't they? Good God are they bad defensively. And Jonathan Toews big brothered McDavid in the first period, it looked like an unfair fight.

Colorado-St Louis are playing this afternoon and that should be a hell of a game. Columbus-Tarranna should be good as well.

Long way to go. Columbus couldn't muster more than a goal. Leafs will score eventually.

Long way to go. Columbus couldn't muster more than a goal. Leafs will score eventually.

that’s how Columbus wins games...Leafs will muster a goal but Columbus will muster two.

this is not an ideal matchup for the Leafs...you gotta pay the price to score vs Columbus, that is not a Leaf trait.

except this is a CBJ without Panarin, Duchene, etc

they are the best defensive team in the NHL, they won’t need 3-4 goals to win games.

they have enough to score a couple of goals

Pierre-Luc Dubois had one of the most roller-coaster caldendar year (or 18 months, whatever) of any prospect's early careers I've ever seen.

Went from really underrated, to drafted too high relative to his worth, had a catastrophically bad first half / two thirds of his post-draft seasons, then started to get improve, and next thing you know he's an everyday NHLer.

After CBJ scored, Leafs went 7 minutes without a SOG at one point and started giving up in their own zone. Jackets imposed their will on Leafs - who once again proved they’re a soft perimeter team who are not built for the playoff warrior mentality needed to win championships

Still a 50-60 point player.... but looks good.
What was the Habs rumour again?
In a system that demands the heavy defensively responsible game first and foremost vs a run & gun system. Would PLD on the Leafs, TBay or Canes score more? IMO yes.

Say what you want about Torts, but he's a hell of a coach. Yeah, he'll run out his welcome in Columbus eventually, but he's getting the absolute most out of that team. If his teams are bad, it'll rarely be because of him.

What’s always impressed me is how his teams play a heavy game yet remain disciplined...per the tweet.

CBJ is also the perfect market for him, no media sideshow to deal with like CDN markets or NY to a slightly lesser extent.

This is such a horrible match up for the Leafs in every sense.

Columbus makes teams have to fight to score, not a leafs trait, they are very disciplined, Leafs often need PP's to get back in games, every inch of the ice is contested, Leafs prefer space etc...

Say what you want about Torts, but he's a hell of a coach. Yeah, he'll run out his welcome in Columbus eventually, but he's getting the absolute most out of that team. If his teams are bad, it'll rarely be because of him.
Torts is a pain taskmaster. He gets the most out of his horses but yeah, only for a finite period of time.

This is such a horrible match up for the Leafs in every sense.

Columbus makes teams have to fight to score, not a leafs trait, they are very disciplined, Leafs often need PP's to get back in games, every inch of the ice is contested, Leafs prefer space etc...
The Leafs need to score dirty goals but most of their forwards are too skilled to get dirty and don't pay the price they'll need to in order to score.

Torts is a pain taskmaster. He gets the most out of his horses but yeah, only for a finite period of time.

He's like Peter Laviolette. He'll get results and he'll eventually get fired. I'm extremely surprised New Joizy didn't hire him, to be honest.

Who knows, maybe he'll land in Seattle.

Back