• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Best of the internet

BG

Yeah. Java isn't particularly big, and doesn't take up any PC resources if it isn't running. It's really not hurting you to keep updating it, if you are worried that older programs won't work.

The only hassle you may have with it, is what you are experiencing now (occassional auto-updates).

Kritter

ok awesome... i wasnt worried about the updates or anything... what you say makes sense.. its strange that some places will tell you its useless.. probably if you are a very new business and all your programs that you use for it are less than 5 years old (?)

axlsalinger

ok awesome... i wasnt worried about the updates or anything... what you say makes sense.. its strange that some places will tell you its useless.. probably if you are a very new business and all your programs that you use for it are less than 5 years old (?)
I don't know that much about Java, but are you sure it's been discontinued? Pretty sure that Flash has been phased out but I think Java is still around.

If you look at the Wiki page, really doesn't seem to be discontinued. Though it sounds like older versions are no longer supported, so it should be updated to the current version.

As of October 2021, Java 17 is the latest version. Java 8, 11 and 17 are the current long-term support (LTS) versions. Oracle released the last zero-cost public update for the legacy version Java 8 LTS in January 2019 for commercial use, although it will otherwise still support Java 8 with public updates for personal use indefinitely. Other vendors have begun to offer zero-cost builds of OpenJDK 8 and 11 that are still receiving security and other upgrades.

Oracle (and others) highly recommend uninstalling outdated and unsupported versions of Java, because of serious risks due to unresolved security issues.[22] Oracle advises its users to immediately transition to a supported version, such as one of the LTS versions (8, 11, 17).

There is a Java software platform, which also does not appear to be discontinued.

The latest version is Java 17, released in September 2021. As an open source platform, Java has many distributors, including Amazon, IBM, Azul Systems, and AdoptOpenJDK. Distributions include Amazon Corretto, Zulu, AdoptOpenJDK, and Liberica. Regarding Oracle, it distributes Java 8, and also makes available e.g. Java 11, a currently supported long-term support (LTS) version, released on September 25, 2018. Oracle (and others) "highly recommend that you uninstall older versions of Java" than Java 8,[13] because of serious risks due to unresolved security issues.[14][15][16] Since Java 9 (and 10, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16) is no longer supported, Oracle advises its users to "immediately transition" to a supported version. Oracle released the last free-for-commercial-use public update for the legacy Java 8 LTS in January 2019, and will continue to support Java 8 with public updates for personal use indefinitely. Oracle extended support for Java 6 ended in December 2018.[17]

There is also JavaScript, which also doesn't appear to have been discontinued.

JavaScript (/ˈdʒɑːvəˌskrɪpt/),[9] often abbreviated as JS, is a programming language that conforms to the ECMAScript specification.[10] JavaScript is high-level, often just-in-time compiled and multi-paradigm. It has dynamic typing, prototype-based object-orientation and first-class functions.

Alongside HTML and CSS, JavaScript is one of the core technologies of the World Wide Web.[11] Over 97% of websites use it client-side for web page behavior,[12] often incorporating third-party libraries.[13] All major web browsers have a dedicated JavaScript engine to execute the code on the user's device.

Stable releaseECMAScript 2021[2] Edit this on Wikidata / June 2021; 4 months ago
Preview releaseECMAScript 2022[3] Edit this on Wikidata / 22 July 2021; 3 months ago

StormChaserBH

Java has certainly not been discontinued, it's still one of the very heavily-used server app platforms but it's use as a client/user/browser platform (that everyone needs on their machine) has dropped off a cliff in recent years. Browsers used to support in-browser Java "applets", but that's gone away like Flash.

Most people would be just fine letting Java be removed from their Windows PC; but it doesn't hurt, or take up a lot of space, to keep it updated either.... just don't do I guess the 3rd choice which would be to leave an old, unsupported Java around on your machine. I'm in software development, so I always keep Java installed on my machines, even though I'm not using it currently for work or personal projects.

(Note: JavaScript, despite the name similarity, has nothing to do with the Java installations you're talking about.)

CH1

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins.
But what if my friggin jowels really look like saddlebags???

asking for a friend who will remain nameless (initials LOF)

LeafGm

School definitely would have been more exciting for me if a Moose had occasionally burst through the wall like the Kool-Aid man.

Sadly, the only wildlife we regularly ran into was a giant flock of Canadian geese that liked to hang out on the field beside the school.