• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

CONMEBOL World Cup Qualifying

Ed H in Pasadena

And if we've started a thread for UEFA, may as well get one for CONMEBOL for South America's qualifying. Saw Brazil dropped its first points in qualifying on Sunday. Liverpool stars Alisson and Fabinho both played 90 minutes (I know, I'm biased, what can I say? ;) ) The next fixtures are this Thursday

Bolivia vs Paraguay
Colombia vs Ecuador
Argentina vs Peru
Chile vs Venezuela
Brazil vs Uruguay

Yeah, our neighbors to the south are ten/eleven games into their World Cup qualifiers at this point. Brazil and Argentina are unsurprisingly running away with the top two spots but the rest of the race is a slugfest. They get 4 plus a playoff team that's all but certain to go in, and right now Chile and Peru are on the outside looking in ... which I doubt oddsmakers figured for this stage of proceedings.

Yeah, our neighbors to the south are ten/eleven games into their World Cup qualifiers at this point. Brazil and Argentina are unsurprisingly running away with the top two spots but the rest of the race is a slugfest. They get 4 plus a playoff team that's all but certain to go in, and right now Chile and Peru are on the outside looking in ... which I doubt oddsmakers figured for this stage of proceedings.
Yeah, but isn't Chile rather an old squad now? Vidal, Sanches, Isla, Medel, Bravo? All old dudes, relatively speaking. I think they've missed their window and should focus on reimagining the squad.

Yeah, but isn't Chile rather an old squad now? Vidal, Sanches, Isla, Medel, Bravo? All old dudes, relatively speaking. I think they've missed their window and should focus on reimagining the squad.
Their golden generation is old, yeah ... but they shouldn't be drifting that far down the table. And Peru should be straight up good. Look, it CONMEBOL so somebody's got to scuffle, but those two are the ones I've seen taking big heat for it, along with Colombia who have been only OK thus far.

Their golden generation is old, yeah ... but they shouldn't be drifting that far down the table. And Peru should be straight up good. Look, it CONMEBOL so somebody's got to scuffle, but those two are the ones I've seen taking big heat for it, along with Colombia who have been only OK thus far.
Didn't comment on Peru, as it's tough to figure out what's going on there. But yeah, they should be straight up good. Or at least better than they've performed thus far. They've got seven more matches to sort it all out. As does Chile.
As for surprises, has to be Ecuador sitting third, ahead of Uruguay on GD right now. Where'd THAT come from? I mean, it's not like they performed that well at the Copa this past summer (3 draws and 2 losses, including the QF loss to Argentina, 3-0).

Looking around to find a site (or sites) streaming any of the matches, and I can't find anything. Thought I found something through Reddit but it wasn't taking some of my information to sign up.
In any case, in the 56th minute, Bolivia leads Paraguay 2-0! :oops: That would be a crazy result for Paraguay, since they currently sit 6th, 3 points behind Columbia and 4 behind Uruguay.

Bolivia scored in the 84th minute, so that match is done and dusted. Bolivia will be level on points with Paraguay. Brings more urgency to the Argentina/Peru and Venezuela/Chile matches. Given the opposition for both, Chile HAS to take advantage tonight to move up.

Edit: Bolivia scored in the 94th minute to win 4-0, making up the goal difference with Paraguay and pulling level with them for 6th. Bolivia at home I can see, but 4-0? Huh.

Meanwhile, Columbia and Ecuador are level at intermission, 0-0.

Last edited:
WOW! Yuri Mena scored in the TENTH minute of injury time, and Columbia beat Ecuador 1-0 (it seems like the VAR decision took forever, but ten minutes?) HUGE win for Columbia.

Edit: now VAR has chalked off the Columbia goal, too. What? Wish I could see what was going on instead of relying on three separate updates.

Today's results

Matchday 12​

HomeAwayScore
BoliviaParaguay4-0
ColombiaEcuador0-0
ArgentinaPeru1-0
ChileVenezuela3-0
BrazilUruguay4-1

CONMEBOL, Matchday #13 results
DateHomeAwayScore
Nov. 11EcuadorVenezuela1-0
Nov. 11ParaguayChile0-1
Nov. 11BrazilColombia1-0
Nov. 11PeruBolivia3-0

Big results for Ecuador and Chile, holding on to spots 3 and 4 right now. Brazil is through after their win. And Peru still sit 7th.

BIG match tonight between Argentina (2nd) and Uruguay (6th) at Estadio Campeón del Siglo in Uruguay. A win moves them up to fourth; a loss keeps them 6th and hanging on for dear life.

Here are the qualifiers for tomorrow

Matchday 14​

DateHomeAwayTime (ET)
Nov. 16BoliviaUruguay3 p.m.
Nov. 16VenezuelaPeru4 p.m.
Nov. 16ColombiaParaguay6 p.m.
Nov. 16ArgentinaBrazil6:30 p.m.
Nov. 16ChileEcuador7:15 p.m.

Argentina is in with a win at home vs Brazil. And Chile could find itself within a point of 3rd place Ecuador by beating the latter at home tomorrow evening.

Yesterday's results, as Argentina clinch qualification (thought they needed a win, but I was wrong: only needed the draw)

Tuesday, November 16​

MATCH
Bolivia3 - 0Uruguay
Venezuela1 - 2Peru
Colombia0 - 0Paraguay
Argentina0 - 0Brazil
Chile0 - 2Ecuador

Chile takes a huge step backwards, as does Uruguay. At least Uruguay lost away. Chile was home vs the team they had a chance to get within a point of for 3rd. Instead now, they sit sixth, looking so frail.

Chile takes a huge step backwards, as does Uruguay. At least Uruguay lost away. Chile was home vs the team they had a chance to get within a point of for 3rd. Instead now, they sit sixth, looking so frail.
Uruguay sacked head coach Oscar Tabarez. He had been head coach since 2006 and it was his 2nd spell as head coach. All told, he coached them in a record 224 matches.

Uruguay sacked head coach Oscar Tabarez. He had been head coach since 2006 and it was his 2nd spell as head coach. All told, he coached them in a record 224 matches.
IMO they stuck with Tabarez for a good 2 cycles longer than made sense. But he had his players' loyalty and that counts for something, I guess.

Back