• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Domi + 3rd pick for Anderson

Not upset one bit to see the sulking, petulant son of a meathead shipped off...Anderson is big, nasty and fast so big time upgrade.

Meanwhile, Bergevin used that pick to acquire a player who, over three seasons from 2016-17 to 2018-19, was ranked 22nd in the NHL in 5-on-5 goals per 60 minutes of ice time, five spots behind a certain Patrik Laine that has had the entire city of Montreal salivating for the better part of two weeks and ahead of names like Mark Stone (24th), Chris Kreider (27th), Patrick Kane (29th), Sidney Crosby (34th) and Nathan MacKinnon (35th).
The oldest economic principle dictated Josh Anderson’s cost on the trade market

https://theathletic.com/2120252/202...-the-trade-market/?source=user_shared_article

My problem with the trade isn't the player, it has almost nothing to do with the player although he's bordering on a mythical figure with some. I'm not even that upset with what we gave up to get him. I think we traded a second line center for a guy that's borderline second-line winger.

What bothers me is we're getting a player, who we will sign to a 5 or 6 year deal at a high $ figure, that is near the end of his prime and is coming off a terrible year because of injury. I don't have many doubts that last year was a write off and that he'll be back in shape, but I also don't think he's going to be bordering on 30 goals every year. Like Domi in that one year where he got 72 points, that 27 goal season also might be an anomaly.

This has all the makings of a guy who will be on a bad contract at the halfway point. If we win a Cup, then the whole point is moot, but this still isn't a great team and it's got issues. Left side D is still bad. The forward group might be a little harder to play against, but it's still underwhelming overall.

The year before he scored 27 he was on pace for close to the same totals. If he can score 22, ram dudes into dust, kill penalties and create a ton of turnovers we’ll be a much better team...

Sure, but that's not really my worry. My realistic expectation is 20ish goals, 35-40ish points and with physical play. That would be awesome.

His next contract is what scares me. Players like him very rarely age well.

Anderson is exactly the type of player Julien asked Bergy to get.....Julien probably also insisted on Bergy making the d-corp bigger.

All these moves are Julien-type moves

Also, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having big mobile d-corp, which is what we seem to be building going forward. Avs have the best young d-corp, but they are not all big, which might cause issues down the road in a tightly fought playoff series, especially if a team decides to play physical (and refs hide whistles).

My problem with the trade isn't the player, it has almost nothing to do with the player although he's bordering on a mythical figure with some. I'm not even that upset with what we gave up to get him. I think we traded a second line center for a guy that's borderline second-line winger.

What bothers me is we're getting a player, who we will sign to a 5 or 6 year deal at a high $ figure, that is near the end of his prime and is coming off a terrible year because of injury. I don't have many doubts that last year was a write off and that he'll be back in shape, but I also don't think he's going to be bordering on 30 goals every year. Like Domi in that one year where he got 72 points, that 27 goal season also might be an anomaly.

This has all the makings of a guy who will be on a bad contract at the halfway point. If we win a Cup, then the whole point is moot, but this still isn't a great team and it's got issues. Left side D is still bad. The forward group might be a little harder to play against, but it's still underwhelming overall.

We don't live in a perfect world, unfortunately.

How often does Anderson take what is considered a dumb penalty? That was an issue that Julien had with Domi. When healthy, Anderson is a top 6 power forward who can get you 20-30 goals, which is needed. Domi should of filled that role, but was too inconsistent and definitely lost the confidence of the coaching staff. Worst case scenario I’d this blows up in Bergevin’s face and he finally gets fired.

i will complain about the contract when the time comes

Why not wait to see the contract before bitching? I dont see why he would command those terms as an RFA. I'm guessing 4×3.75

Why not wait to see the contract before bitching? I dont see why he would command those terms as an RFA. I'm guessing 4×3.75

Because he has all the leverage, he's a year away from being a UFA and he could easily go to arbitration, take the contract and walk.

And he would take the contract you're offering... why, exactly?

Because you hope so?

I'd be absolutely shocked if he took a deal that was less than 5 years and I'd be very surprised if he makes south of $4.5M per year.

Back