• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #1 - AUG 2 8pm SN - The Covid Cup is Ours

zeke

We all know the Leafs are going to win this special Cup, and the hockey world is going to scream ASTERISK until we win it again next year.

It is fated, it will happen, it is written, I have spoken.

It would have been nice to get one of the many patsy opponents instead of a well organized, disciplined, confident team like the jackets....but we're the better team and we know it.

And a hearty thanks to my boy GARY BETTMAN for this amazingly handled re-opening. All hail the chief.

Screenshot_20200802-111232_Sheets.jpg

And of course.....

So, in the post-cock period, the following interesting stats (5v5 sva) …

xGA/60
BJs: #6 2.02
Leafs: #14 2.28
That’s a difference of 0.26 or one goal over 4 games.

xGF/60
BJs: #21 2.21
Leafs: #2 2.63
That’s a difference of 0.42 or almost 2 goals over 4 games.

BJs defensive prowess does not better the Leafs offensive prowess.

P.S. I'm ignoring that disgusting suck up to butthead

Dubois's qoc and zone diff numbers are interesting. If they match him against either top two lines, which they will do, he's in his toughest battle ever, by a wide margin.

He's got a good record against the Leafs. He's also a career .908 sv% with no playoff games.

He’s not exactly a vet himself, but I guess he’s more of a vet that Merzlikins, who obviously has no playoff games himself and has also never played against the Leafs.

And he’s a career 5-3-0 with a .914 SV% against the Leafs.

Korpisalo starting for the Jackets.

Not surprised - they actually had a better record with Korpi in net. Very mediocre but consistent, whereas' Merzlikins season was a scorching hot streak surrounded by awfulness.

The one thing though is that apparently Merzlikins did have some bigtime clutch playoffs performance oversees.

Dubois's qoc and zone diff numbers are interesting. If they match him against either top two lines, which they will do, he's in his toughest battle ever, by a wide margin.

It's interesting - Torts is definitely trying his best to ice a lineup he can roll lines with, which makes me think he won't be hard matching lines so much.

He could have chosen to make a clear matchup line but he didn't.

And yeah in fact looking at the numbers there I wouldn't be shocked if the dubois line is the one getting the easiest matchups of the top 3 lines.

He’s not exactly a vet himself, but I guess he’s more of a vet that Merzlikins, who obviously has no playoff games himself and has also never played against the Leafs.

And he’s a career 5-3-0 with a .914 SV% against the Leafs.
I may be proven wrong for saying this, but we drew the easier matchup here. I've always thought Korpisalo stinks. Let's get some rubber on this guy!

It's interesting - Torts is definitely trying his best to ice a lineup he can roll lines with, which makes me think he won't be hard matching lines so much.

He could have chosen to make a clear matchup line but he didn't.

And yeah in fact looking at the numbers there I wouldn't be shocked if the dubois line is the one getting the easiest matchups of the top 3 lines.
The numbers suggest that Torts is a line roller but they've been making noise about putting Dubois up against the Leafs fire power. We'll see.

The numbers suggest that Torts is a line roller but they've been making noise about putting Dubois up against the Leafs fire power. We'll see.

I'd believe that more if he didn't have Texier up with him, and had a foligno or Atkinson with him instead.

But hey maybe he will - torts is the kind guy who would switch lines last minute as a fake out.

I wouldn't overthink the goalie thing...it's not like Torts will have any problem issuing the hook if things went south for either guy.

Merzlikins:

1st 10gms: .889, 0-4-4
2nd 15gms: .953, 12-2-0
Last 9gms: .900, 1-3-4

Korpisalo

1st 10gms: .886, 5-4-1
2nd 15gms: .919, 7-6-2
Last 11gms: .921, 7-2-2

So yeah I can see why he went with Korpi.

Back