• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #20 FEB 22 v CGY - Lockdown Unlocked

The Leafs weren't bad, Hutchinson wasn't bad though he has to work on his rebound control geez... Considering how many bodies dropped against a team that just lost seven to one ...not bad

I didn't think we were bad at five-on-five, but 0/7 on the power-play was the difference in tonight's game.

And I feel like if someone offered me only three goals against when we're down to having to start Hutch, I'd take that anytime. And if you'd told me we'd have to play Hutch twice in a one-week period and we'd come out with two points, I'd take that too.

Though hopefully Campbell and/or Freddie come back pretty soon now.

Also---didn't love the job Keefe did with the lineup tonight. There's no time for continuing the failed Vesey & Barabanov experiments when we've got so many guys out up front. We can't afford the dead weight right now. So if none of the walking wounded are back in time for our next game, try something else---any combination of Anderson, Brooks, Robertson or even Galchenyuk.

And his attempt to get Tavares going didn't work, and also sort of tanked our #1 line at the same time.

and just a reminder that the Rielly we want to see, was probably the 2nd best defender in the league that season. I dig Rielly, but I don't know if he's that guy other than when he's at his absolute best. He's more in the top 10-15 range than the top 5 range.

What do you think his next contract will look like with Dubas?

Also---didn't love the job Keefe did with the lineup tonight. There's no time for continuing the failed Vesey & Barabanov experiments when we've got so many guys out up front. We can't afford the dead weight right now. So if none of the walking wounded are back in time for our next game, try something else---any combination of Anderson, Brooks, Robertson or even Galchenyuk.

And his attempt to get Tavares going didn't work, and also sort of tanked our #1 line at the same time.
That's the thing though. There's plenty of time to experiment. This is the time to do it. It's all about getting ready for the playoffs. Get your experiments out of your system now. I thought Barby looked better.

That's the thing though. There's plenty of time to experiment. This is the time to do it. It's all about getting ready for the playoffs. Get your experiments out of your system now. I thought Barby looked better.

I suppose I phrased that poorly. It isn’t that there isn’t time, or that Keefe shouldn’t be experimenting.

It’s that I feel those two specific experiments—Vesey & Barabanov—have been given enough time, especially with all the other options we have. And that it hurts us more to have passengers like them up front when our forward depth’s depleted due to injuries.

And regarding Barabanov looking better, I dunno. I didn’t see that. He still looked like the worst out of all the depth forwards we’ve tried this year by a fairly wide margin.

There is a lot of bad luck this year but he does look a step off too.

Yeah, I don’t think it’s just a shooting percentage funk. We just don’t seem to be generating much in the way of chances or offensive pressure when he’s on the ice.

Does Barabonov speak english?
Gotta give guys more time that are coming into a situation where they can't "hang," with the team, let alone on-ice communication. (though that's easier)

Yeah, I don’t think it’s just a shooting percentage funk. We just don’t seem to be generating much in the way of chances or offensive pressure when he’s on the ice.

Yeah, you're not imagining that:

ixG/60 - .69
iCF/60 - 12.64

ixG/60 - .84
iCF/60 - 16.35

ixG/60 - 1.06
iCF/60 - 16.74

He's individually creating fewer and worse shot this season, by a lot.

Last edited:
Yeah, you're not imagining that:

ixG/60 - .69
iCF/60 - 12.64

ixG/60 - .84
iCF/60 - 16.35

ixG/60 - 1.06
iCF/60 - 16.74

He's individually creating fewer and worse shot this season, but a lot.

I’m really hoping against hope that this isn’t the exact situation those of us who opposed the Tavares signing feared the most:

Failure to win any Cups at the front end of his contract, followed by a steep decline just as the young core are hitting their peaks.

And made even worse by a flat cap that none of us even saw coming when Tavares was signed.

Back