• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #21 FEB 24 - Hutch vs. Calgary

Billy straight carried us on his back at the end of the third and OT.

Looks like this is a different Hutch from last year.

Well, Goldilocks finally showed up! Both goals right in front of the net too which is an added bonus. Thought he was pretty bad for the majority of the last two games but definitely made up for it at the end. Also, Keefe needs to put him back with Matthews and maybe just go back to last years duos. Nylander and Tavares just doesn't work.

Big kudos to Hutch as well, looking very solid in between the pipes.

I've got that exact shit right now. And every time I play, there's always a play where my stick hits another stick and the impact sends me right back to painsville for the rest of the game.
tendonitis in my shooting wrist effectively ended my shinny days :(

don’t wanna jinx it, but Hutch has looked solid enough. and really, that’s all we need for the time being.

There was never a chance hutch was as bad as he was last year. Not a .924 goalie either so I don't expect this to keep up but he may be a perfectly fine, maybe even good, #3 guy in the end.

Our team defense has also improved since last year, so part of his success and what should be better numbers than other years is from that too. Throw in a weaker division and he should be a solid backup in terms of #s. Most nights we are making things pretty simple for our goaltenders.

I know they dominated that game, but they didn't realize that all you have to do to beat Calgary's trap is skate fast until Calgary scored.

And now that Willy's sh% is reverting to the mean he is "finally going to the goal scoring areas. see!"

I know they dominated that game, but they didn't realize that all you have to do to beat Calgary's trap is skate fast until Calgary scored.

And now that Willy's sh% is reverting to the mean he is "finally going to the goal scoring areas. see!"

Fucking former Leaf Anson Carter was like "Nylander, a player you don't really see going to the dirty areas.." or something after the goal. Didn't he lead the league in goals from within like 5 feet or something last year? Is it so hard for these guys to do a little research before before saying this stupid shit to millions of people?

Bieksa also put him down during the last HNIC broadcast with a little bit of shade like that.

I feel for the kid. I hope he can just drown out the noise till we win a Cup and then he'll be Cup winner Nylander, not floater Nylander.

Bieksa also put him down during the last HNIC broadcast with a little bit of shade like that.

I feel for the kid. I hope he can just drown out the noise till we win a Cup and then he'll be Cup winner Nylander, not floater Nylander.

Yeah, the Bieksa bit was such an incredible example of how he gets covered in the media. The bit started with Bieksa stroking Josh Anderson for playing long pants hockey and taking the puck to the net hard from a speed rush off of the wing. Bieksa rattles on about how much he loves it when a winger just dips their shoulder and drives to the net. The next example is Nylander doing the exact same fucking thing, in the exact same fucking period and Bieksa was basically "lol, Nylander is a soft bitch boy floater but nice play, I guess".

The argument of course isn't that Nylander is as physical as Anderson, that would be silly. It's that he plays a lot more in traffic, does a lot more work in the dirty areas than he is ever given credit for. Had to score 20+ from right in front of the net last season for anyone to even admit that he doesn't have an allergy to the space 10 feet in from the net. They all want to pretend that he only scores off of the rush or on PP snipes.

Fucking former Leaf Anson Carter was like "Nylander, a player you don't really see going to the dirty areas.." or something after the goal. Didn't he lead the league in goals from within like 5 feet or something last year? Is it so hard for these guys to do a little research before before saying this stupid shit to millions of people?

I don't know if he led, but he was absolutely up there last year. Another stat from last season was that his takeaways and possession ability along the boards is elite elite. He wins way more puck battles than he's given credit for and once he has the puck along the walls, he doesn't give it back. But because he uses his hands and feet to win those battles instead of brute physicality, none of these goofs notice.

Another interesting stat that I think I saw on the NHL Network last night was that in the last several years, Matthews has 21 GWGs for us and the next in line? Nylander with 16. So he's clutch too. And he scores plenty from the dirty areas, and he's not even getting prime PP treatment. I guess not everyone can be Travis Boyd.

Back