• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #3 - Aug 6, 8pm, SN - Hammer Down

I’d be shocked. I think they’re ride or die with Freddie.

My only hope is that if they do lose this series, it’ll be the last time we see Freddie in a Leaf jersey.

Yeah, Freddy is starting tonight., If they lose tonight or game 5, they gotta move him.
How much can Lehner command as UFA? He doesn't start that many games (Freddy should not be either).

the numbers say play the back up in second half of a back to back. Especially if the first game is 4 periods.

is Keefe another coach that doesn’t believe in the stats?

Gimme a break, man. At what point do you complain about the $11m 50 goal scorer coming up with squat against a shitty team with their garbage backup coming in cold, after their starter backup got chased? Matty is the top dog on this team. He has been extremely unclutch in every postseason. He has not shown up when we need him most.

Bingo , 4 years in a row

Your best players simply haven't been you best players as a group , cant win this way in the playoffs

Plenty of blame to go around but you cant have 2-3 core players underperforming every playoff year

You need your big 5 performing to their norm

Yeah I disagree with Keefe there. The first two periods were a continuation of game 2's sheer dominance. They just decided to stop playing in the 3rd. Which is a bit frustrating... Their dips in play shouldn't be as low as they are. But that's why I've always rated them the way I have. Regardless of whether they're "capable" of playing like world beaters, they haven't proven that they can put it all together with any sort of consistency. Andersen was garbage and a 5 million dollar goalie should be able to make a single save. That's all they needed. One save. But this team has seriously high highs and low lows. It's not a winning recipe unfortunately.

That's really the key.

A lot of teams out there across all the major sports can look like world beaters once in a while. Same thing for individual players. What separates the good/average and the great teams/players are being able to do that with some level of consistency from game to game. This also goes from period to period within a game. Teams will always have a bit of letdown going up 3-0 in a game as that's just human nature but the really good teams can put a stop to it once they get the pushback. Some of that is on Anderson but not all of it. Absolving this team time and time again after they buckle with this kind of adversity is really one of the things that holds this board back from accurately analyzing this team. As a fan it is easy to point blame and just fixate on one thing that is causing all of our issues but the issues with this team go deeper than that.

And that is why I have mentioned that we need a serious culture change in this room. It's met with snickers and sarcastic responses but this group really doesn't have it. I wish they did, but they don't. It looks great on paper, there is some good individual talent and some elite guys up front. But this will now be four years in a row where they go down in the 1st round, each year seemingly getting worse from the year before. Something has got to give, and changing the goalie is not the solution unless you are getting an absolute world-beater which is unrealistic with our cap situation.

Yeah they'll win tonight in dominating fashion. We'll all get excited and they'll find a way to disappoint us in game 5 or later in the playoffs.

"Culture change" in a professional organization that is known for holding its players accountable is arm chair pseudo psychological nonsense.

The problem in the playoffs so far has been our veterans choking in key moments starting in net.

It's amazing to me that the same narrative can persist despite watching Kessel and Bozak leave to be key performers on cup winning teams. Remember when they were part of the culture problem and you cant win with players like that? Its nonsense. This is simple...3-0 lead with a veteran starting goalie in net, no muffins and that game is over.

The antidote is winning. You cant have key veteran performers choking away big moments in tight playoff games. The kids not whipping their dicks out and dominating 60 minutes isnt the problem. People seem to want to expect rare performances from them as the benchmark while allowing others to slip by with pure disappointment and choking.

I do agree that we can complain a lot less about goaltending if they bring in a tandem that costs as much or less than Andersen alone. But it's entirely reasonable to expect way more out of Fred. 1 save. Off the muffin ideally. That's all they needed. Not much to ask for 5 shmil.

I do agree that we can complain a lot less about goaltending if they bring in a tandem that costs as much or less than Andersen alone. But it's entirely reasonable to expect way more out of Fred. 1 save. Off the muffin ideally. That's all they needed. Not much to ask for 5 shmil.

We have seen 2 hilarious muffins in the 2 competitive games of this series. How do some people not see those moments as the deciding factors in both games? Playoff hockey is an incredibly evenly contested affair usually. Asking for utter dominance is stupid. Asking key players to not make stupid mistakes or ECHL level plays is the difference between winning and losing.

And now Kadri is scoring clutch, game winning goals for arguably the best team in the league.

The good players on the team were never the problem.

We have seen 2 hilarious muffins in the 2 competitive games of this series. How do some people not see those moments as the deciding factors in both games? Playoff hockey is an incredibly evenly contested affair usually. Asking for utter dominance is stupid. Asking key players to not make stupid mistakes or ECHL level plays is the difference between winning and losing.
It's because people like to think they are smarter than they are. So they over analyze every single aspect of the games and how they are decided so they look like the smartest person in the room. More often than not the truth is right in front of them. It's obvious. Just fucking acknowledge it.

And now Kadri is scoring clutch, game winning goals for arguably the best team in the league.

The good players on the team were never the problem.

the trade hasn't worked out but it had to be done. if he's grown up now and started putting the team ahead of himself for the first time in his career, well good for the Avs. But he sure wasn't doing it here.

the trade hasn't worked out but it had to be done. if he's grown up now and started putting the team ahead of himself for the first time in his career, well good for the Avs. But he sure wasn't doing it here.

Eh, I don't think putting himself before the team was the issue. He's a mentalist who was retaliating against two Bruin cheap shots that went without a call. I was on board with trading him because we just couldn't fucking depend on him to be in the lineup when we needed him, but it was his willingness to go balls out overboard for the team that was the problem. The "red mist" so to speak.

Nah, Kadri got fucked by the DOPS. I have always loved his play and miss him. However, it was the right time to move him, as he's nearing the end of his prime with mediocre skating. He's still good, of course, but probably only for another year or two.

Its funny because now everyone says the Leafs aren't tough enough and someone should go after Dubois.

It was just a bad trade, that hopefully works out in the long run because Naz is old and his play falls off a cliff.

We would've been a much deeper team with Naz this year though.

Back